Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

When was the 1st time your EVO scared the hell out of you?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2012, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When was the 1st time your EVO scared the hell out of you?

So I was on my way to Aikido practice and I was cruising through some back streets in Gricignano di Aversa (italia) and I happened on a Eclipse. He sped up when he saw me so I did the same to close the distance. I went into boost not paying attention to speed (mind you that I'm running some almost bald summer tires and lots of the little towns near Napoli have marble mixed into the road surface). So, I took a pretty aggressive angle at the next turn and this generated a little oversteer which turned into a little drifting..... so I over corrected the oversteer and that is the worst combination ever.

Fish-tale started soon after my 'correction' so I hit the gas to power out of it and the EVO started to rotate. After the first revolution I tapped the brake and this swung her around more quickly another 3/4 of a turn. She stopped facing the opposite direction. Luckily the street was abandoned for those 5 seconds.

I was shaking all the way to class.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My first E85 tune. I had never driven anything so fast before. I soon got used to the power. Its amazing how slow 400hp can feel.

My 777hp tune. I had never driven anything so fast. I'm still not used to it as I've had some issues here and there and I try not to drive it too much so it still feels fast to me.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
had some worn out kumha extas heading into this 180*, off-camber, tree lined/covered (extra slippy), tight sweeper in the wet in tarmac mode. here: http://g.co/maps/umzmm car started to understeer and with my limited knowledge of a the stock setup it completely surprized me. those tires nearly screwed me more than once another time I was hitting it fairly hard on cold/damp and went into a drift without even realizing it. here: http://g.co/maps/5rnrs in traffic. one of those things you feather the throttle, a little counter steer ... and pray.

Last edited by wjamyers; Feb 9, 2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I made a real aggressive turn, the tail end slid out, dipped into a ditch and jumped out just missing a telephone pole by less than a foot (had a friend watching from the yard next to me) needless to say I had to change my pants.

Then last winter, I was at an abandoned mall near my house drifting in a snow storm, 4th gear completely sideways there was a curb completely covered in snow I couldn't see at all that I hit with my passenger rear tire which put the car in the air, spun me around 180 degrees and flew right over the curb. I broke my back pass rim in half, snapped my abs ring on my rear axle and threw my allignment off but thankfully that's it.

Then this winter, I was pitching it side to side in a snow storm in 4th out on basically abandoned country roads where the ditches are a good 20 or so feet deep when the car started sliding sideways (nose pointing to the ditch) and couldn't correct. Started off towards the ditch gradually and as soon as my front tires hit where the edge of the road is, I threw it in reverse. Thank god it hooked and threw me away from the depths of hell lol.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 07:20 AM

BALD Stock Advans + wet snow = OMG! I thought my 7 month old MR was toast.... Luckily, I saved her from careening into the concrete divide at the bottom of the hill with the 90-degree right-hand turn! Whew. Yes, Blizzaks were mounted two days later.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

When i drove it 80 miles in the snow on the advan tires, car wanted to go any direction except forward. Also when my dad got behind the wheel and with out notice just smashed the throttle and rowed through the gears, looped on and off highway ramps tires squealing laughfin the whole time.
OP the whats deal with all the transvestites at the naples train station. I took the local train this summer from naples to sorrento... What a scene with the gypsies and beggars along with loads of people passed out at random train stops. Guess 20 perecent of naples being unemployed has sometjing to do with it.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

when I saw how much I had to pay for insurance. lol
Old Feb 9, 2012, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donotswitchoff0
when I saw how much I had to pay for insurance. lol

+1
Old Feb 9, 2012, 07:51 AM

I was heading to work one morning going my usual speed. I got to the first turn and realized I was sliding (apparently there was a small amount of freezing rain a few hours before) right towards a nasty ditch. That initial sense of dread and pictures of broken bumpers/IC filled my head causing me to freeze and slam the brakes. While still sliding, luckily there was enough time for me to get my head straight and cranked the wheel and slammed the gas causing me to spin nearly 180. Thank God that somehow averted my disastrous route. I continued to work shaken up a bit while petting the steering wheel saying "good girl" lol.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 07:56 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
First time I drove it. There's no sense of accomplishment if it doesn't scare the crap out of you at least once a day.

Old Feb 9, 2012, 08:04 AM

blew a rear tire at 75 on a 25 mph off ramp! POW!!
Old Feb 9, 2012, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
My first E85 tune. I had never driven anything so fast before. I soon got used to the power. Its amazing how slow 400hp can feel.

My 777hp tune. I had never driven anything so fast. I'm still not used to it as I've had some issues here and there and I try not to drive it too much so it still feels fast to me.

Haven't been scared by the Evo yet, but it's still stock. I did however drive a buddies 94' RX7 with a monster-port + 88mm turbo. 600hp to 19" low pros on a wet road in a car that weighs nothing. It Moves Bowels.

Also kept me from ever wanting a FD 7.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
*** end sliding out doing 70 on a back roads with woods on either side. That's enough to make to you drive slow for awhile.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a lot of you guys need to find a track.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:30 AM

during the first launch......lol

Quick Reply: When was the 1st time your EVO scared the hell out of you?