Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dog box Transmission or stage 3 TRE/Shep/Jacks/Buschwaker for 9 sec street car?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dog box Transmission or stage 3 TRE/Shep/Jacks/Buschwaker for 9 sec street car?

Hi guys,

I've been planning my build up for the future to come and I have been trying to figure out the best way to solve one of the biggest problems these car have when they go high WHP: Transmission.

My goal is to build a 9 second STREET car which won't be daily driven, but atleast 3 times a week. I have lots of friends with high horsepower GTRs and Vettes(low 10/9 sec cars) and I want' to play with them. Therefore I'm looking for the most reliable/fastest shifting transmission on the market.

I was looking at the Bad Bish which is the type of power/performance I'm looking for. I noticed that they are using a bushwacker transmission and an exedy triple. However, I'm not a pro driver so I may miss a shift here or there, I'm not a shop owner and I don't want to go out running on egg shells thinking that the next time I go WOT the tranny is going to blow.

I also noticed that Shep/PPG offer a dogbox transmission which is quite more expensive than a normal stage 3 transmission, but it is capable of holding 1000hp, which would be more than what the car would be putting down. But, I haven't heard a lot about them on the evo community. I have done a lot of searches, but people are talking about friends or speculation. I would like to know if there is anybody out there using them. People say that they are not good for the street, but would they be good for a car which is not daily driven?

And last but not least, would a sequential shifter be any better at this level? I figured that with that kind of power and me not being a pro driver it would be better for me to add a sequential shifter such as the SQS in order to shift better and therefore adding more live to the tranny?

Here is a link to the shifter: http://www.sqsracing.com/produkt/296...mitsubishi-evo

Link to PPG Dog box video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_1jO64tuQA

Link to PPG Dog box on evo 7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-bob4nqEFc

Link to Dog box with SSS shifter on evo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nSP1...ure=plpp_video

In conclusion I would like to know which set up would be better for this type of car:

1) Shep/PPG dogbox, exedy triple and SQS shifter.
2) Shep/PPG dogbox, exedy triple and stock shifter.
3) Shep/TRE/Jacks/Bushwaker, exedy triple and SQS shifter.
4) Shep/TRE/Jacks/Bushwaker, exedy triple and stock shifter.

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Well what you have has limited your choices. All your links are for Dog Boxes, so if you want a dog box you have ONE choice, Shepherd, nobody else can even buy the gear sets. Want his number?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by David Buschur
Well what you have has limited your choices. All your links are for Dog Boxes, so if you want a dog box you have ONE choice, Shepherd, nobody else can even buy the gear sets. Want his number?
Hi Dave and thanks for the quick response!

I posted videos of the dog box, because as I searched I noticed not many people knew about them.

I would like to know what would be your personal recommendation? Should I stick to the same setup as the Bad Bish, keeping in mind I'm not a pro driver and I don't want to break a transmission every month or should I just spend more on a dog box and not worry about it blowing up?

Also, would you recommend a sequential shifter either for your set up or for a dog box?

As for the number, if you can PM it I'll appreciate it. Thanks again.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

I'd suggest building the rest of the car and giving your transmission choice another couple of months.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Well I can tell you I have a 700hp+ evo 9 with a bushwacker and a exedy triple. I am in no way a pro driver and I miss gears all the time. If I was replacing my tranny every month Id give up and sell the car. I dont daily drive my car but I take it out for fun and put about 3k miles on it yearly. I say go the cheaper route and get the bushwacker and exedy triple. I havnt had many problems.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
I say do yourself a favor and buy a regular stage 3 from any one of those tranny places. There are plenty of fast cars that still run standard gear trannys. David's car is a perfect example.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't put a dogbox in anything that isn't strictly a drag car...
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Don Q
Hi guys,

I've been planning my build up for the future to come and I have been trying to figure out the best way to solve one of the biggest problems these car have when they go high WHP: Transmission.

My goal is to build a 9 second STREET car which won't be daily driven, but atleast 3 times a week. I have lots of friends with high horsepower GTRs and Vettes(low 10/9 sec cars) and I want' to play with them. Therefore I'm looking for the most reliable/fastest shifting transmission on the market.

I was looking at the Bad Bish which is the type of power/performance I'm looking for. I noticed that they are using a bushwacker transmission and an exedy triple. However, I'm not a pro driver so I may miss a shift here or there, I'm not a shop owner and I don't want to go out running on egg shells thinking that the next time I go WOT the tranny is going to blow.

I also noticed that Shep/PPG offer a dogbox transmission which is quite more expensive than a normal stage 3 transmission, but it is capable of holding 1000hp, which would be more than what the car would be putting down. But, I haven't heard a lot about them on the evo community. I have done a lot of searches, but people are talking about friends or speculation. I would like to know if there is anybody out there using them. People say that they are not good for the street, but would they be good for a car which is not daily driven?

And last but not least, would a sequential shifter be any better at this level? I figured that with that kind of power and me not being a pro driver it would be better for me to add a sequential shifter such as the SQS in order to shift better and therefore adding more live to the tranny?

Here is a link to the shifter: http://www.sqsracing.com/produkt/296...mitsubishi-evo

Link to PPG Dog box video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_1jO64tuQA

Link to PPG Dog box on evo 7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-bob4nqEFc

Link to Dog box with SSS shifter on evo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nSP1...ure=plpp_video

In conclusion I would like to know which set up would be better for this type of car:

1) Shep/PPG dogbox, exedy triple and SQS shifter.
2) Shep/PPG dogbox, exedy triple and stock shifter.
3) Shep/TRE/Jacks/Bushwaker, exedy triple and SQS shifter.
4) Shep/TRE/Jacks/Bushwaker, exedy triple and stock shifter.

Thanks in advance
I say if you're going to do it once, do it right. I have a lot of experience with PPG products and they are bullet proof. I wouldn't waste time and $ taking a chance with anything else.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks everyone for all the info! I'll stick to DB's advice and give the choice a couple of months.

However, I would like to know if anybody here has any opinion on the sequential shifter? Would this be beneficial for the transmission or will it take a toll on it?

Thanks again
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SDevo13
I wouldn't put a dogbox in anything that isn't strictly a drag car...
I'm really interested in more pictures of your car! What wheel size are you using with the APR body kit?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

Didn't DB buy a dogbox for his car, run it for like 2 months, hated it on the street and took it out and went back to one of their bushwacker transmissions?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are looking to keep up with a GTR that is just flat out not going to happen. They only way is for you to buy a GTR.

Technology has progressed and right now the GTR transmission (shifting wise) has no competition under 90k. I've seen a relatively stock one launch and row (Switch) through the gears and it made me realize just how capable a street machine they are.

I would almost say the trans is enough for a 600 hp GTR (That horsepower level is achieved with bolt ons) would stomp the hell out of a EVO with 700 on the street.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bramage_Dained
Didn't DB buy a dogbox for his car, run it for like 2 months, hated it on the street and took it out and went back to one of their bushwacker transmissions?
Actually, we ran it ONE race and I sold it. Driving it was fine. Here's my take on transmissions for the EVO, no builder spoken about or recommended.....

A properly built 5 speed EVO trans with a Tilton carbon/carbon clutch and an excellent driver will go into gear at 10,000 rpm on a power shift. End of story. What you have is, from us, a $850 basic Stage 1 trans build and a $5,000 Tilton clutch and then a excellent driver.

Dog Box, I had one of those too. Shepherd built it for me. Trans was great. Here is the problem. A dog box will down shift at ANY RPM. The day we ran my car with the dog box in it Kevin went from the top of 3rd gear back into 2nd, RPM.........let's just say it was high. Nothing got hurt luckily. A pass later, Shepherd was running his Talon, he did the same thing, he wasn't so lucky and had quite a bit of engine damage from it. You can't do that with a standard 5 speed box.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
If you are looking to keep up with a GTR that is just flat out not going to happen. They only way is for you to buy a GTR.

Technology has progressed and right now the GTR transmission (shifting wise) has no competition under 90k. I've seen a relatively stock one launch and row (Switch) through the gears and it made me realize just how capable a street machine they are.

I would almost say the trans is enough for a 600 hp GTR (That horsepower level is achieved with bolt ons) would stomp the hell out of a EVO with 700 on the street.
Yes I completely understand what you are saying. But, I'm not saying I want to shift as fast as a GTR, maybe I didn't explain myself correctly. What I do want is the fastest shifting possible on a evo with me being the driver. That's why I was looking at Sequential shifters and Dog boxes.

I think you are kind of under estimating your car and over estimating the GTRs. Don't get me wrong, they are fast, but an Evo with the power such as yours should be capable of doing 9's in the 1/4.

Let's take the Bad Bish for example... Even Dave posted the mod list on this forum. When you add up all the money in mods they are equal to $25K-$30K, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the Bad Bish had about 747whp last time I checked? With that it was capable of running 9.0. Now, if you look at the GTRs, the Alpha 9 which is the one you can compare to the same amount of $$$ invested on building a replica of the Bad Bish(Alpha 9 starts at $23,999.00 ). The Alpha 9 GTR ran 9.95.

Now we all know that the Bad Bish was driven by a pro and that the average Evo owner won't shift as fast and in the GTR the average joe can get the 100% out of it every time. But, lets say that the average Evo enthusiast can pull mid to high 9's out of the Bad bish, it would mean that either you can take the GTR or you can go neck a neck with it... Atleast an alpha 9.

What I'm saying is that for a GTR to beat a 700-800whp evo it would require an Alpha 10-12 upgrade which costs $63K for the alpha 10 and last I heard it was about $80K for the 12!

My evo still has around 400whp, and you have a 700+whp evo. So you can speak from experience, and I'm just talking internet numbers. But, perhaps if you face a GTR you will do far better than what you think
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by David Buschur
Actually, we ran it ONE race and I sold it. Driving it was fine. Here's my take on transmissions for the EVO, no builder spoken about or recommended.....

A properly built 5 speed EVO trans with a Tilton carbon/carbon clutch and an excellent driver will go into gear at 10,000 rpm on a power shift. End of story. What you have is, from us, a $850 basic Stage 1 trans build and a $5,000 Tilton clutch and then a excellent driver.

Dog Box, I had one of those too. Shepherd built it for me. Trans was great. Here is the problem. A dog box will down shift at ANY RPM. The day we ran my car with the dog box in it Kevin went from the top of 3rd gear back into 2nd, RPM.........let's just say it was high. Nothing got hurt luckily. A pass later, Shepherd was running his Talon, he did the same thing, he wasn't so lucky and had quite a bit of engine damage from it. You can't do that with a standard 5 speed box.
Dave,

Do you think that problem of going into 2nd instead of 4th and going into 1st instead of 3rd would be solved with a sequential shifter?

I'm already sold on the good clutch and a stage 3 evo transmission just because it has been proven, simplicity and less $$$, but I just want to know out of curiosity.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Dog box Transmission or stage 3 TRE/Shep/Jacks/Buschwaker for 9 sec street car?