Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Radio Relocate harness question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Radio Relocate harness question

Hey guys so i have this harness here for the radio relocate and i was wondering if you guys could tell me what the 5 wires are? what the two red and three yellow are. this would make wiring my gauges much easier thanks.

Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
They are for the factory gauges in the MR and RS. Red is power when you turn the key and the yellow is when the lights are on.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo8426
They are for the factory gauges in the MR and RS. Red is power when you turn the key and the yellow is when the lights are on.
So why only two red then? i figures it would be a wire for each of the 3 gauges? if i were to use this with my prosports can u run the power to two gauges? and the yellow is illumination so what do i do have to make the ground line separate? i already have one just wondering.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It looks like you have the ground wires in the top right of the picture. I have no idea why there is two red ones. But those are for sure factory wires.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo8426
It looks like you have the ground wires in the top right of the picture. I have no idea why there is two red ones. But those are for sure factory wires.
ok well i will just run two of the gauges to one red and 1 to the other.

maybe u can help me with this problem then it would be very helpfull.
here is the wiring for my prosport oil pressure and oil temp gauge.

red -12v accessory power
black - ground
white - 12v accessory power
orange - headlight switch (12v power when lights are turned on)

so with that being said how can i wire this? can i run obviously the red to the red wire on the radio harness the black to ground and the orange to the yellow on the radio harness.. where do i run the white the other 12v accessory? do i just run it to the same as the red?

Last edited by polish_pounder; Feb 15, 2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

anyone able to answer the above question for me about the wiring for prosports
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you sure both the white and the red wires are for 12V accessory power? Something doesn't seem right about them both being hooked up to the same source. Usually you would have 1 wire for switched 12 and another wire for constant 12. But it doesn't seem like that would apply for gauges. Also I can answer your question about why there are only 2 red switched 12V wires on the factory harness. Its because the stock boost gauge isn't electric, its just a mechanical gauge and therefore it only needs the wiring for lighting. The 2 switched are for the stock oil temp and volt gauges.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOSE06
Are you sure both the white and the red wires are for 12V accessory power? Something doesn't seem right about them both being hooked up to the same source. Usually you would have 1 wire for switched 12 and another wire for constant 12. But it doesn't seem like that would apply for gauges. Also I can answer your question about why there are only 2 red switched 12V wires on the factory harness. Its because the stock boost gauge isn't electric, its just a mechanical gauge and therefore it only needs the wiring for lighting. The 2 switched are for the stock oil temp and volt gauges.

I forgot about the boost gauge haha thank you and yes it makes sense now me n a buddy stayed up all night trying to figure itnout n we did

The gauges are two color illumination so here is how it works
Red wire = power
color during the day = connect to red sire
color at night = connect to illumination 12v a.k.a the yellow wires
so if I want white on power and amber when my lights are on I hook the yellow to orand and the red n white go together

if i want one color all the time say amber i connect the orange wire to the red and dont connect the wjite and if i want white all the time vise versa. I feel like they could have made that alot easiwr for me to understand than the instructions i got lol

Last edited by polish_pounder; Feb 16, 2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:23 AM

just installed a set of prosport gauges in my EVO, this is what I did. If you look at the directions from Prosport you will see a lighting diagram for how the gauge acts during the day and then night time operation. In my case I wanted to have amber lights during the day and night so, I did not connect the white wire from the gauges at all. The red 12v switched I ran to the dash fuse box, I then took the ground from all of the gauges and ran to a ground under the center console (10mm bolt with one factory ground). I then took the orange wire and tapped into the illumination from the radio to complete the install.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

i have been trying to use a factory ground and none of them will work... maybe i should sand the spot a little but what spot did u use for the ground? also i installed the radio relocate harness and turned everything on to see if it worked and right away the radio went on and pop. i looked at the fuses and for some reason there was no 10 amp in the radio fuse spot??? y would my radio have worked perfect for over a year and all of the sudden it matter? better yet y no fuse there haha
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone able to tell me why my clock doesnt turn on anymore?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:58 AM

The ground that i used is at the bottom where the bottom of the console is. You will see a 10mm bolt with one factory ground wire already. Yes i tied all of the grounds together.

if i did not have the car back together i woud take a picture of the location that I am talking about.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by polish_pounder
Anyone able to tell me why my clock doesnt turn on anymore?
check the under hood fuse box. The fuse with the little yellow holder around it probably blew. It's for your clock, dome light, etc. Same thing happened when I pulled out my gauge cluster. Tripped the fuse and the clock didn't work anymore hah, among the other things mentioned :-)
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Guitarplyr
check the under hood fuse box. The fuse with the little yellow holder around it probably blew. It's for your clock, dome light, etc. Same thing happened when I pulled out my gauge cluster. Tripped the fuse and the clock didn't work anymore hah, among the other things mentioned :-)
yeah it was the yellow holder you are talking about thanks everyone now maybe someone can help me with another problem?

i just installed a PLX wideband and im having a weird issue i just hooked up the whole thing and the wideband was working on the way home but the wires werent really together how i wanted. i just hooked everything up to see if it worked had the wires coming right off the faceplate and everything. so when i got home i disconnected everything and i hid the wires in the back n re connected them. now every time i turn on the car it starts up but instead of going into a wideband it says factory settings have been reset or set to default or something like that? i have tried unhooking the plugs from the box n reconnecting them but nothing is working was hoping u could help me out?
Old May 10, 2012, 12:33 PM

Sorry for bringing this thread back, but i also have the same wires. When i got my car it came with the factory oil temp. So, the boost gauge and volt were connected using those same wires. Last week i installed Defi gauges, and i noticed those same wires you have. I ran the boost gauge using the red wire (12v), yellow wire (ignition switch) and ground. I did not use the white wire since the defi gauges are meant to stay lit. Now, heres the way i did it since there is only two red wires...the boost gauge has its own red wire supply, the volt gauge and the AEM wideband are shares using one red wire. I don't know if this is correct, but my wideband utilizes a fuse, and also the volt Defi gauge comes with fuses just in case something goes wrong.

If anyone thinks this is wrong please let me know that way i can go back and fix it before something serious happens.

Thanks guys