Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 Clicking Noise

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 Clicking Noise

I have searched and found nothing that really sounds similar to what I'm hearing about when I hear the clicks so I wanted to post this to see if anyone had any thoughts.

While driving around anywhere above about 2300RPM I hear a constant clicking noise that sounds like it's coming from the from the front drivers side of the engine bay area. When you fully depress the clutch while coasting it will go away when the RPMS go under 2300 but if you rev it above that it starts the clicking even when the clutch is fully depressed and coasting. I also have noticed that my clutch has started to "bark" during downshifts. I have an Exedy Twin Disc that was recently rebuilt by AMS because it was fried. Don't know if that has anything to do with it or not because the clicking noise started before the downshift barking noise from the clutch. I haven't noticed any power loss or anything but it seems odd that it's RPM related and not speed related and also has nothing to do with turning. Just would like some thoughts from some of the smarter EVOM'ers. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:10 PM

I believe you are hearing your valve retainers. this is very normal sound for all evo's at least the 03-06
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:34 PM

whats your oil level like? recently changed? My vote is also on valvetrain noise.