Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Is your evo garage kept
Yes
70.34%
No
29.66%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Garage?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2004, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garage?

Well is your evo garage kept or not?
Old Jan 19, 2004, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

just wondering what eveyone is doing with it...my explorer broke down this past weekend, so i had to pull mine out in the snow and salt..oh well a few days shouldnt hurt anything
Old Jan 19, 2004, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

do you guys without garages live where it snows?
Old Jan 19, 2004, 06:41 AM

No garage, no car cover, and it most certainly snows. I bought the car to drive it and driving it in the snow is a blast. I couldn't imagine parking this car for the winter.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

^ I do!!!

Old Jan 19, 2004, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Mine's garaged for the winter, but mostly b/c I'm in and out of town for work most of the time until spring. work.

Which brings up a good question that seems to cause some controversy; the car is being stored in a semi-heated garage (there is a heat duct but its still pretty chilly in there). I put fuel stabalizer in the tank, pulled the battery, and changed the oil, etc, prior to pulling it in. Now, should I start the car every few weeks and run it for a bit, or is it better to let it sit, battery out, for the whole winter?

I know if it was parked outside its better to let it sit so water condensation doesn't build up in the engine from starting/stopping it, but what about inside?? Is it better to start her up every once in a while and get things moving?
Old Jan 19, 2004, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by StreetPowerEvo
Mine's garaged for the winter, but mostly b/c I'm in and out of town for work most of the time until spring. work.

Which brings up a good question that seems to cause some controversy; the car is being stored in a semi-heated garage (there is a heat duct but its still pretty chilly in there). I put fuel stabalizer in the tank, pulled the battery, and changed the oil, etc, prior to pulling it in. Now, should I start the car every few weeks and run it for a bit, or is it better to let it sit, battery out, for the whole winter?

I know if it was parked outside its better to let it sit so water condensation doesn't build up in the engine from starting/stopping it, but what about inside?? Is it better to start her up every once in a while and get things moving?
I try to take it out (if no snow and salt, etc) on the stock advans for a short, easy drive or just idle the car in the garage when all the crap is on the road every couple of weeks.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

If she ain't being driven, she's in the garage. Couldn't let weather damage my precious evo could I ?
Old Jan 19, 2004, 08:05 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the garage at home and work...
Old Jan 19, 2004, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

no garage, my wifes car is in it+a lot of other stuff, so I cant fit my car...
Old Jan 19, 2004, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by RaDZio
no garage, my wifes car is in it+a lot of other stuff, so I cant fit my car...
Yea it took me three days of "cleaning and rearranging" (AKA throwing out junk) to get mine in there before it got cold, but I was determined
Old Jan 19, 2004, 08:14 AM

I live in Rockford IL and my car stays outside. I got it for an everyday driver and that's what it is. It does great in the snow, and it's a lot of fun in the snow! I wash it often and I don't think the snow/salt will harm the car at all. I will just need new rims for summer! I love this car!
Old Jan 19, 2004, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

thanx for responses guys, i also forgot to add those advans are terrible in the snow, and of course they should be there not winter tires but i almost smashed the whole right side of my baby. but they grabed about 6 inches from scraping the whole side on a guard rail..geez did that get my heart pumping..
Old Jan 19, 2004, 08:26 AM
SoR
Evolved Member

Originally posted by StreetPowerEvo
Now, should I start the car every few weeks and run it for a bit, or is it better to let it sit, battery out, for the whole winter?
It's better if it sits still w/ no starting. If you start it you better drive it for a while (not idle for a while) or othervise you'll kill your battery.

I know if it was parked outside its better to let it sit so water condensation doesn't build up in the engine from starting/stopping it, but what about inside?? Is it better to start her up every once in a while and get things moving? [/B]
No, it's the same although it's better for the battery to be in a warm place.
The battery is what suffers with frequent starts. To start the car up you need a lot of electricity so if you just start it and idle it for a while the battery doesn't recharge enough till next start. Doing this every so often will kill it.
Condensation/water usually builds up in the exhaust which then tends to rust quickly from the inside. Not sure what kind of exhaust you have though.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Garage.