Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Will EVO's drop in price?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mx931
buy one in japan
even if he shipped it, he's not allowed to drive it, per law. dont know how hard it is to import vehicles into australia but its tough here.

asking about the price here (in the USA) and your in australia is not going to help you. Whatever happens here does not directly affect what happens in australia. the dollar amount is 1.055 USD for every 1 dollar AUS. so thats pretty freaking high for sure, but thats the price based there, if it drops here a few grand its only going to slightly drop there if any.

and to add on top, they discontinued the mitsubishi racing (evo) program indefinitely to focus on more family oriented vehicle production. so the price is not going to decrease much if any.

edit- maybe no more evo but a successor could arise. http://www.insideline.com/mitsubishi...in-hybrid.html

Last edited by sujinX; Mar 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 05:13 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This is not a difficult model to analyze. Two factors at play - scarcity and demand. Will low-mileage Evolutions become more common in the future, seeing how production ceased ~6 years ago? This essentially defines the first constraint. The second thing to look at is demand. It's the only variable whose (future) impact can be discussed.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdlewh
I'm sure they will drop a decent amount, these aren't Supras. ; )
not yet they're not. but we'll see for sure in about another 10 or so years. i expect evo 9's will be most expensive cause of limited production. evo's are capable cars so they just might be as legendary as supras. time will tell.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:33 AM

Thanks for all the replies, not exactly what i wanted to hear

I think the best option is to look at importing from Japan should be midly cheaper
Old Mar 7, 2012, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blue91lx
I would actually argue the opposite. The Evo VIII and IX platform is the only one like it in terms of power potential and function. I would say Evos will rise in price because they have the potential of a Supra, just in an AWD configuration. Keep in mind, a 530awhp Evo = an 800whp Supra.
i agree 100% currently evo prices are staying the same. lower mileage 05 evo 8 can get close to the 20k range, while a lower mileage 9 can get maybe a tad more. as for them being like supras definetly !!!! don't get me wrong i love supras, but im sure alot of people are like myself and refuse to spend $30k plus on a car that more then a decade old.. but on the other hand for an evo and spend around 20 or so thats abit more logical i feel at least.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

I bought my car with 18,000 miles for 26K just about 4 years ago. It's worth near 23K with about 53,000 miles on it. That's not a drop in price if you ask me. That's awesome!
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OMG I would love to visit Australia! I can image diggin out and blasting down some empty outback road! I wouldn't go too deep though, wouldn't want to man v wild it..lol.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hardware
I bought my car with 18,000 miles for 26K just about 4 years ago. It's worth near 23K with about 53,000 miles on it. That's not a drop in price if you ask me. That's awesome!
dropped about 3k but still isn't bad at all. When I bought my car for 13k, it had 108k miles. now with 130k, it's 16k. I've always thought these cars were going to stop in value but mine went up. : D
Old Mar 7, 2012, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Throttle
not yet they're not. but we'll see for sure in about another 10 or so years. i expect evo 9's will be most expensive cause of limited production. evo's are capable cars so they just might be as legendary as supras. time will tell.
In some ways the EVO is already legendary.
I never understood the love for the supra. It's a GT boulivard cruiser with a flexible flyer frame and no AWD. It's engine is impressive but so is the 4g63 at a much smaller displacement.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

The fact 8/9's are going for around the same price in the US as they were when I was looking 4 years ago tells you something. Take a look at almost any other car from different manufacturers, there are hardly any that hold this kind of value besides collector cars and limited run productions.

All the young EVO fans will eventually grow old like how the Muscle Car fans did. I'm sure this will cause a spike in price in the future for these cars. Maybe one day we'll see a mint IX EVO with low mileage go for something crazy on Barrett Jackson lol.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:29 PM

I have been in the market of selling Evo's and haven't seen a drop in selling price. There are a few factors as to why Evo's are holding their value. One reason is because the Evolution is no longer being produced because Mitsubishi is moving towards making green eco friendly vehicles. Another reason is because every day less Evo's are available due to theft or accidents causing total loss. Best reason of all that the Evo's are valued so high is because of its AWESOME PLATFORM . Just like the DSM's of the 90's, these vehicles will hold their value.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

As far as I've noticed evo prices have been holding. my prediction is that they will become cheaper and around 5-7 years they will start to climb back up
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jdlewh
I'm sure they will drop a decent amount, these aren't Supras. ; )
But the IXs are!! I bought mine brand new and it's still worth over 10k more than I owe on it. It's RARE to buy a car off the lot and it hold value
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:09 PM

Take a look at the price curves VR4 galants went through & keep in mind the vr4 was a special edition of a Galant just as evo's are to lancers, however evo's are being made gen after gen.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they should drop soon, I mean the lower they go though the higher the milage so your call... you pay for what you get.

Quick Reply: Will EVO's drop in price?