Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Want to know about the Stock evo 9 HID

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to know about the Stock evo 9 HID

I joined the forum, cause i wanted to know about the stock HID that the Evo 9 has.

I was wondering why it looks different than most HID that other cars have.

Both the s2000 and Evo 9 i constantly see have a "unique" color to it rather than a plain White hid you see everywhere.

In addition, the evo 9 has a colored blue/green lens is that correct?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey godzilla.

Welcome... even if it is only brief.

It isn't really tinted. The glass magnifier serves as a diffuser, and while it certainly has a tint to it, that's more the natural coloring from the size of the object. Most HID's will have some type of diffuser. This is to correct the spectral aura of the beam, and also to act as a UV shield to protect the UV sensitive plastic covers.

It's difficult to say why a particular car may have a different colored headlamp than what you're used to, because color effect is largely subjective. On top of that, the color of an HID lamp can be changed simply by altering the "temperature" of the gasses within the bulb itself.

Perhaps looking through an article detailing the concept of bulb "temperature" would help? But I'll caution you that choosing a bulb based on temperature for a specific color isn't exactly a fool proof method.

Feel free to chime in if you have other questions...
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:36 PM

I'd imagine even if i match the Kelvin temperature of my Car to the Lancer evolution 9's Kelvin, it would not look the same.

in anycase, is the stock ones 6000k?

But i definitely notice that evolution 9's HID stand out from the typical White HID.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
All DOT approved HIDs are 4300k

Only exception, Philips managed to sell a DOT approved 5000k bulb but they are around $200.

For some further infomation you could look at this.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...uperwhite.html

Last edited by Thore; Mar 12, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.hidonlinestore.com/hid-d2...c-hid-bulb.htm

BAMO! 45 bucks per!

i just got some
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by superkizuna
http://www.hidonlinestore.com/hid-d2...c-hid-bulb.htm

BAMO! 45 bucks per!

i just got some
Hate to rain on your parade but you can find cheap hid bulbs anywhere. You want quality, stick with Osram, philips or GE.

I made the mistake of purchasing cheap Chinese hid bulbs from DDM Tuning. Just do it right the first time.

$67 and it's OEM quality. http://www.ebay.com/itm/290520132080
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thore
Hate to rain on your parade but you can find cheap hid bulbs anywhere. You want quality, stick with Osram, philips or GE.

I made the mistake of purchasing cheap Chinese hid bulbs from DDM Tuning. Just do it right the first time.

$67 and it's OEM quality. http://www.ebay.com/itm/290520132080

Well......, these bulbs are 30 day money back and 1 year waranty. Looks like they are standing by the product but if you want to spend 250 bucks on some lights then get OEM.

Last edited by superkizuna; Mar 14, 2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Link I posted are OEM quality bulbs for $67. Name brand.

Compare the two. Look at the construction of even the base. All plastic with a bent electrode? No thanks. 1 year warranty? That's cool but where are they getting their products? 30 day money back only applies to products unused.

Imagine a bulb burns out. You ship that bulb back to the vendor, they process it and agree it's defective. They submit an order and have their supplier ship a replacement bulb from China. You might be lucky and it will be 2 weeks when you get that replacement bulb. on top of the ground shipping and how ever long it takes for them to process it. All the while, you are left with no headlights.

That is the same problem I ran into with DDM. It's hit or miss with these cheap companies. Just get the parts you trust.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

If these go out after 14 days though.....
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

what brand is stock oem bulb?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate to interfere with such a good arguement but if you order from these companies please be aware some of them will say United States but they get their parts from the suppliers from china. So youll think that youll get your parts early since its in the United States which at times are completely further from the truth as far as you can throw the supplier. I guess I must be watching too much of counterteiters on netflix.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Before you buy bulbs or any HID upgrade kit, Do some research. I bought a kit being lured by the price and a few good reviews. Then I spent hours, after I installed them, reading up on why they are so cheap. Cutting corners in manufacturing the plastic base, the glass and inferior quality of the "salts" used in the bulbs themselves. Just as bad as buying knock-off performance parts.

Originally Posted by Ryuartz
what brand is stock oem bulb?
Osram (Sylvania)
Part #MU820005

Originally Posted by impact blue
I hate to interfere with such a good argument but if you order from these companies please be aware some of them will say United States but they get their parts from the suppliers from china.
When I ordered from DDM, that was exactly my line of thinking originally. Sweet, they are in California. Got USPS tracking saying it was in the "People's Republic of China". These people don't even see the product being shipped to their customers. They are just the middle man. Take your money and have their buddies over seas do the rest.

Last edited by Thore; Mar 14, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:44 PM

did more research on lights...

but i'm a bit confused as well.

I was certain that 4300k is most oem. Some body said Mercedes use 6000k stock on their Xenon's.

so

4300k = brightest ; white color
6000k = white color and perhaps slight blue
8000k = blue/green(jade green)
10000k= pure deep blue

then when you hit 12000k it starts to go purple and then further on Pink.

But certain bulbs on certain cars....it doesn't apply. Meaning if i put 8000k bulb in a honda civic expecting it to be jade green...it turns out to just be the look of the 6000k.

i think in order to compare colors, you have to compare the bulbs from the same company.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

how about 5k?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OSRAM-SYLVAN...cd7e9d&vxp=mtr

I am wondering which brand to go with? OEM(osram sylvania), philips, or GE
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by impact blue
I hate to interfere with such a good arguement but if you order from these companies please be aware some of them will say United States but they get their parts from the suppliers from china. So youll think that youll get your parts early since its in the United States which at times are completely further from the truth as far as you can throw the supplier. I guess I must be watching too much of counterteiters on netflix.

The UPS trail starts in Anaheim CA. The other bulbs I got from them were from a Japanese Manufacturer. I've had them in my EVO IX for about.... since I bought the car in Dec 2009. I'm getting them switched because I bought 6000Ks and they don't work as well as the OEM Temp gradient. I have a stigmatism and past sundown sh*t gets real.

I wrote the company for an origin to the lights and explainations on brand(s).

Last edited by superkizuna; Mar 15, 2012 at 05:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Want to know about the Stock evo 9 HID