Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My Gauges.. :)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive been looking at these gauges and i like how they look in blue, im planing on buying the mechanical boost gauge, electric oil pressure and electric oil temp. Now i got a Q i have some stewart warner's that came with the car Now if i buy these evo prosports can i use all the wiring and sending units from the stewart warners ?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I always like gauge in that location plus stereo. Looks good!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by adriano_917
Ive been looking at these gauges and i like how they look in blue, im planing on buying the mechanical boost gauge, electric oil pressure and electric oil temp. Now i got a Q i have some stewart warner's that came with the car Now if i buy these evo prosports can i use all the wiring and sending units from the stewart warners ?
Most likely not, the senders are normally calibrated to work with the gauge, or have specific specs... its possible they use the same 0-5 volts 0-XXXpsi and may read similar.

You could use the same wiring only if you were to splice the couplers of each gauge, meaning, how (coupler shape) the wires plug into the sending unit and the guage are most likely different, but should have the same number of wires and probably the same gauge of wire too.

I hope that helps your question.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
Most likely not, the senders are normally calibrated to work with the gauge, or have specific specs... its possible they use the same 0-5 volts 0-XXXpsi and may read similar.

You could use the same wiring only if you were to splice the couplers of each gauge, meaning, how (coupler shape) the wires plug into the sending unit and the guage are most likely different, but should have the same number of wires and probably the same gauge of wire too.

I hope that helps your question.
Yea thats what i was thinking, its easy to change the sending units anyway i have everything set up. The gauges that i want are not digital theyre the regular ones so i guess i dont have to do anything else other than that, im gonna give them a try for $122 all 3 of them, thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

I've always liked these gauges.. I really need a new set and get rid of these crappy Defi's.. I just feel like they're too good be true (price wise). Are these reliable?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:38 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
OK, I'll be the one...

I like the panel, but hate the gauges. Two reasons: A well-designed gauge allows one to see its relative reading at a glance. A glance. Reason being, when one's car is moving fast enough to need gauges, the driver doesn't have the time concentrate his vision on an instrument. Second reason, any visual package like above is susceptible to sunlight as a blurring agent, making the driver concentrate even more on something that should be visible at a .... glance. Almost pointless.
I had these in my MS3, but they were mounted in pods on top of the dash, which made it easier to see them in daylight but they could still be difficult to see at times regardless. I'm not sure I would favor these gauges with this type of setup either, might as well spend the money and go with AEM, IMO.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Well i just bought the gauges $136.96 shipped all 3 of them, well see how they work out. Ill post pics of the older ones and the prosport performance series.

Last edited by adriano_917; Mar 14, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by adriano_917
Well i just bought the gauges $136.96 shipped all 3 of them, well see how they work out. Ill post pics of the older ones and the prosport performance series.
The biggest thing I liked about ProSport was the pricing, and I've always liked their customer service and tech support. The gauges also worked great, and appeared to be accurate; the red was just hard to see during certain parts of the day.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
OK, I'll be the one...

I like the panel, but hate the gauges. Two reasons: A well-designed gauge allows one to see its relative reading at a glance. A glance. Reason being, when one's car is moving fast enough to need gauges, the driver doesn't have the time concentrate his vision on an instrument. Second reason, any visual package like above is susceptible to sunlight as a blurring agent, making the driver concentrate even more on something that should be visible at a .... glance. Almost pointless.
Care to elaborate? How's this setup particularly susceptible?

Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
it's all digital. same as trying to see your phone or a computer screen in really bright sunlight
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:31 AM

i like the guages...does it feel like ur piloting an airplane?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

looks great man, is relocating ur radio a pain? i just dk if id like it down there (stock radio)
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:52 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by RevMatcher
Care to elaborate? How's this setup particularly susceptible?

Thanks!
Because it is.

These gauges can appear very dark in sunlight and have a coating on the face that will make them appear as off or very distorted if you're wearing polarized sunglasses.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:09 PM

Ah, right. Thanks.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ramen_Noodle
Because it is.

These gauges can appear very dark in sunlight and have a coating on the face that will make them appear as off or very distorted if you're wearing polarized sunglasses.
Is the AEM better in that respect?

I like the boost gauges that have the needle as well as the digital number. I currently have an AEM AFR gauge and don't really care about matching. Just want a PSI Boost Gauge that is accurate and reliable.

Anyone know where these are made?

AEM and Prosport? Stack gauges look nice too but no digital reading. May still consider others if more accurate or reliable.

Quick Reply: My Gauges.. :)