Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Coolant

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant

I thought this would be best asked here. I have a 2003 evo 8

I want to change my coolant. I want to put BMW blue coolant into my system because I get the BMW blue for free.

Is this compatible with the metals in the radiator and engine? Can it mix with the oem fluid for the evo 8? Has anyone used it?

I will drain as much of the current fluid in my system and then refill it, so there will be mixture of the oem with the BMW blue coolant. I think the oem fluid for the 03evo 8 is green?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dRifT iT
I thought this would be best asked here. I have a 2003 evo 8

I want to change my coolant. I want to put BMW blue coolant into my system because I get the BMW blue for free.

Is this compatible with the metals in the radiator and engine? Can it mix with the oem fluid for the evo 8? Has anyone used it?

I will drain as much of the current fluid in my system and then refill it, so there will be mixture of the oem with the BMW blue coolant. I think the oem fluid for the 03evo 8 is green?
This is just me, but i'd stick with the green coolant...no clue if the blue stuff would work, but its coolant??? its not like buying a new turbo....its cheap so who cares if its free or not. stick with the stock stuff man...

and btw if you cant resist the blue stuff at least do a full flush of the system if its even compatibale that is
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am going to agree with evotuner. Stick with what is working. There are a lot of things I could get cheaper for my evolution and they might even work. However, I see no need to risk it. This is just my opinion.ion mind you.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Blast it. The mobile version of evom does not offer an edit button.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
BMW coolant is probably a superior product to what you'd get off the store shelf so I'd use it. The main ingredient in all antifreeze is one of two chemicals and they both work. All coolants now have a package to protect aluminum.

More important is what water you use to mix with the coolant. Depending on your location, tap water may be very compatible with the cooling system or it may attack it. Use distilled water (not soft or demineralized water) in the coolant system at the first coolant change of a new car and continue to do so and never have to flush the system for the life of the vehicle.

Blue or green - its just a dye.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb

Blue or green - its just a dye.

^^ dont know about that, my uncle that works for bmw does not suggest mixing or putting it in other cars. the bmw coolant reacts with the green and gets gooey. bmw blue is phosphate free which is why its more expensive.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Mitsubishi has their own coolant too - 30 bux a gallon. How many people do you think are running that as apposed to whatever was on the shelf at Walmart.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:08 PM

So has anyone tried BMW blue in their evo?

And I want to use it so does anyone have a recommendation on how to completely flush the system? To make sure the gooey stuff doesn't occur?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:12 PM

And does anyone have info on if the BMW blue coolant is compatible with the metals in the radiator and coolant system.?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:32 PM

Audi green and Audi red coolants don't mix, when they do it turns to jello. Like your uncle said, BMW blue doesn't mix well with other coolants either. I would stick to the OEM Mitsubishi coolant.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...ne-glycol.html
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by sujinX
^^ dont know about that, my uncle that works for bmw does not suggest mixing or putting it in other cars. the bmw coolant reacts with the green and gets gooey. bmw blue is phosphate free which is why its more expensive.
This is correct, BMW coolant is phosphate free, meaning less corrosive...aka, better lol. Now I wouldn't suggest mixing it with other coolants, like the green stuff you've got in your car now, but if you flush it, it shouldn't be a problem. Best way to get it all out is to drain your radiator completely and add water a couple times to wash it out...as far as getting the coolant outta the motor, you can turn the car on for a second without the radiator hoses connected. Doing this will pump the water out of the motor, but only start it for like 30 seconds (or less), should be enough. You could hook your radiator up and fill it with water, and run that through your motor to try to dilute the remaining coolant to nothing...flush it well and drain it all out, then put your beloved blue coolant in the system.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by 2ndLaw
This is correct, BMW coolant is phosphate free, meaning less corrosive...aka, better lol. Now I wouldn't suggest mixing it with other coolants, like the green stuff you've got in your car now, but if you flush it, it shouldn't be a problem. Best way to get it all out is to drain your radiator completely and add water a couple times to wash it out...as far as getting the coolant outta the motor, you can turn the car on for a second without the radiator hoses connected. Doing this will pump the water out of the motor, but only start it for like 30 seconds (or less), should be enough. You could hook your radiator up and fill it with water, and run that through your motor to try to dilute the remaining coolant to nothing...flush it well and drain it all out, then put your beloved blue coolant in the system.
haha, I think I will do this. I will post a pic when done. I have a TB evo 8 and have a small cusco blue theme going on with some parts. I got the killerglass radiator section for the hose and want it to be with the same theme.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:03 PM

Better be thorough though, don't want any collected pockets to mix and cause problems.

The way I see it, my 2 cents, unless you're 100% certain of something, don't do it, saving money in the short run can cause you to lose double if not excessively more in the long run.

You can get Redline water wetter for $12 a bottle, and it's not blue or green, rather red and as far as I'm concerned it's perfectly fine to put in, so who knows I guess.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

You would risk putting the wrong coolant in your Evo just because it's free...? Dude, don't be a cheap azz, a gallon of coolant is like $27 from the dealer.

Quick Reply: Coolant