Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Engine lost power on the freeway, now it won't start HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2ndLaw
Yeah I would get my car outta that shop, you DO NOT need to pull the motor to change your timing belt. How ridiculous, perfect example why shops suck! The other guy (with the camera) sounds like he might be able to help you out. I hope this is just a matter of throwing a new belt on and timing! Let us know what happens.

PS: you might look into working on your own car in the future. Saves lots of money and its valuable experience! It might seem daunting at first, but really, Evo's are pretty easy to work on.
I was thinking of it. I mean, I put in my head studs and installed the AC and then removed it (lol), but I'm more comfortable with tuning than I am with an open engine to be honest.

And I don't have the timing belt tensioner tool thingy.

How much should I pay for the head to be removed? Im going to compare shops tomorrow. I feel the evo shop will charge for fewer hours because they have it down to science but i obviously don't want them pulling the engine out over a bent valve.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock valves? U could have got lucky like I did they just nicked the pistons Whitch is fine.. I paid 1100 for fully port polish stainless valves and guides.. Once head is off u will see all the damage.. Good luck man!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

I'd buy a new tensioner. You don't need a tool. I comes compressed, or you can compress it in a vice.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
have you checked the 10A ignition fuse under the driverside. i bet its blown. replace it with a 15A fuse since you have a COP.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:34 PM

I'm not really sure how much a shop would charge for a head removal, they'll go off "book hours". (whatever the factory manual says) ...honestly it only takes like an hour or two. I guess just see how much each shop is gonna charge and then make the best decision for you. If its something stupid like 500 bucks, I'd do it myself!! If you have any questions about how to do it, I'm sure there is a write up and/or you can ask us. Changing the fuse is a good idea too, its something that is worth checking for sure. Something else you might wanna do, is check your timing yourself...I say that because, its easy to check, and the shop you took it to might just have said some stupid crap to get your money. (like having to pull your motor) Just take a look at your cam gears and see if the marks line up with the valve cover, and look at the bottom pulley marks too. If you have any questions, ask.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the shop the car is at originally is going to pull the head in 2 hours. The shop I was going to tow it to would have charged 4.5

I really should work on it myself... but the car is 45 min away.

I should know what it looks like in a week or so. Should I ask the shop to take a pic of the pistons?

Im teetering on the disrespect line with the shop. I don't want to come across dickish and get ****ed because they don't like me, but I also do not want to get taken advantage of. the middle grey area seems hard to find
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
When I had some internals done i wanted pics as well as the old valves ect. Shop had no issue with me asking. I would not let a shop work on my car if they gave me a hard time about taking pics

Originally Posted by prowakeskater
the shop the car is at originally is going to pull the head in 2 hours. The shop I was going to tow it to would have charged 4.5

I really should work on it myself... but the car is 45 min away.

I should know what it looks like in a week or so. Should I ask the shop to take a pic of the pistons?

Im teetering on the disrespect line with the shop. I don't want to come across dickish and get ****ed because they don't like me, but I also do not want to get taken advantage of. the middle grey area seems hard to find
Old Mar 23, 2012, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by thedru13
When I had some internals done i wanted pics as well as the old valves ect. Shop had no issue with me asking. I would not let a shop work on my car if they gave me a hard time about taking pics

I agree, the shop can keep there "feelings" to themselves. Its your car, you're aloud to ask as many questions and be in their faces as much as you want. They have a job to do, they get paid, end of story. Now I don't suggest running in there and punching someone in the teeth, but don't be shy, cause you WILL get taken advantage of! Ask for a quote, don't take your car over there until you guys have agreed on a price! I would also get it in writing so there is no "misunderstanding" later.