Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

brembo wrap?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brembo wrap?

Okay here we go. There is some sort of plastic wrap covering the calipers? It's coming off. Can I just rip it off all of them? It's coming up in the front calipers. Underneath they look nice and deep red the decals are firmly in place under this wrap too. They stayed adhered under the condition that loosened up the wrap.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL it sounds like your clear coat is pealing to me.....your going to need to repaint them
Old Mar 22, 2012, 05:28 AM

let me guess and its only the front brembos right. well im sure u know this but cars when they brake 70%off the braking is the front and 30% is the back. meaning more heat in the front and soon or later what the guy said above me the clear coat is going to peal. know from what i know powder coating is the best thing and it wont happen again. but its normal my man.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

uuugh! Mine did the same thing, its just the clear, take off what you can, and re-spray with a good high temp clear, they will look like new.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:21 AM

Peeling clearcoat for sure.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

well whats comfusing is.. He is saying that under the pealing is nice red... my clear coat is coming off too, but its very faded under the pealing. I am sure that everyone is right and it is the clearcoat, but im confused as to why his has good color because the places where my clear coat is pealing is faded to ****.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:32 PM

What I did was buy and extra set of used Calipers blasted the powder coating off of them and had them powder coated again and then airbrushed with the roman numeral of the car and cleared again. Then I did the same for the extra set and sold them to a Nissan guy for the cost of the powder coating and the caliper.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts
Overtime depending on usage of the brakes the clearcoat will start to fade. Sometimes clearcoat fades differently. I have seen some cases where the clearcoat will fade and start opening little pinholes. These pinholes will let moisture and contaminants inside damaging the red coat of the brembos, so overtime they begin to brown.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lol i clicked on this thinking there a vinyl wrap for our brembos..lmao
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by superkizuna
Okay here we go. There is some sort of plastic wrap covering the calipers? It's coming off. Can I just rip it off all of them? It's coming up in the front calipers. Underneath they look nice and deep red the decals are firmly in place under this wrap too. They stayed adhered under the condition that loosened up the wrap.
1. Welcome.
2. How many miles are on your car?
3. Have you only been using your car as a DD? Or has it been to the track?

Many of the under used calipers on these cars will fade and turn a pinkish color and have the color begin to peel off. You'll also notice that many of the "properly" used calipers on this board have been "cooked" to a brownish color.

It is possible that there was some type of scratch protection placed on the calipers from transport that wasn't removed.

But it may be your clearcoat. Bottom line... do what you want.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ProPilot04
1. Welcome.
2. How many miles are on your car?
3. Have you only been using your car as a DD? Or has it been to the track?

Many of the under used calipers on these cars will fade and turn a pinkish color and have the color begin to peel off. You'll also notice that many of the "properly" used calipers on this board have been "cooked" to a brownish color.

It is possible that there was some type of scratch protection placed on the calipers from transport that wasn't removed.

But it may be your clearcoat. Bottom line... do what you want.
Hey! What's up?..... I have roughly 50K mi on the car. She is a babied DD. Wifey leans on her sometimes and I will do some enthusiastic street driving with friends once a week.

Yeah the calipers are wierd I thought. They have some plastic like outer jacket that is coming up from heat or what have you. Just the fronts are doing this and just underneath they look really nice.

I want to powder coat them to tie up the tarmac black and bronze wheels theme (just ordered Tenzo DC-5's). I saw a really nice powder coating job illustrated in a post here on the forum. I jumped into the thread and asked the guy about the decals and he said he just bought some new ones from the big bay (e-bay that is.....). That sounds good to me too!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

search and then search some more. please.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Here is a link to the Brembo Stencil, you need 3.25" for the fronts and 2" for the rears...
http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Cal...uctinfo/CS0XB/

This is what I am gonna to do, I am going to powder coat Red, then paint the Logo with high temp white paint then powder coat Clear.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to go with decals, heres a link... http://www.ebay.com/itm/260952261428...84.m1497.l2649

I recently re did mine with paint. ~4 coats of paint, sticker, then ~4 coats of clear. Those stickers are perfect size, exact same size as the original logo. Very high quality too. Good seller.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

hahaha we ALL can relate to this. we all wake up in the morning look at our calipers and think
'why the f*ck is this happening?'

Quick Reply: brembo wrap?