Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

The Return....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Return....

well, as a lot of the older guys from this site know I used to have an 06 EVO IX MR. Bought it in October of 2005 brand new, and proceeded to autocross it every chance I got, and also racked up a lot of miles. I was the first IX to break 100,000, then 150,000, then 180,000....and then like a jackass, I sold the car to buy an EVO X SE in march of 2011.

BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG mistake. Hated the car, so after about 2 months I traded it in on a BMW 335i. Loaded, nav, sport pkg, logic 7 sound system, everything you can get in the car, this car has. Really like the BMW, but it just wasn't enough. I was still missing my EVO IX MR, so I went out and bought a used bone stock EVO IX MR with 60k miles on it. The guy that bought my EVO IX MR is loving it, and the car is still running strong with right at 190,000 miles on it. When I sold it the car was putting out around 360-370whp. The new owner's got it around 450-500 now I believe.

With the upgrades he did, he took off a lot of the old parts I had (which only had 1000-3000 miles on them when I sold the car), so I'm in the process of getting those back. The first round is in the mail now. The BMW is up for sale, and I've begun the process of rebuilding the car that I never should have sold in the first place, but with waaayyyy less miles lol

Can't wait to get this EVO back to where my other one was.

Pics of my old EVO IX MR when it had 175,000 miles on it

The EVO X SE (the mistake)

Last edited by ODUB; Mar 23, 2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to have ya back! I can only imagine the relief and excitement you feel getting back in the seat of a IX.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I feel your pain about the x.I had an 06 se that I traded in for a 08 x mr,worst mistake ever.I actually liked the scion xd that I had better than the x.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
at the mistake.

So what's the power goal with the new IX man?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome back!

Why didn't you like X?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I almost bought a white EVO X for a steal. The owner never got back to me on it, his loss. I would have loved the X I think but end the end I got a IX. I did research on the X and am glad to have the IX. Especially now that wifey is getting a Fiat 500 Abarth when they drop so I have the Lancer to myself!
Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Welcome back..
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
at the mistake.

So what's the power goal with the new IX man?
same as my old one. about 450 at the crank, or 360-370whp. I just want to be able to keep up with all the high power crap coming out these days. my old IX MR was 3100lbs, with 360-370whp and about 350-360wtq...would easily whoop the new mustang GT's, and E92 M3's. My old car started making boost below 1500rpm, and was at full boost just below 2500rpm...loved it. power everywhere. I just want to get back to that. Safe, reliable, efficient power.

Originally Posted by Chef-j
Welcome back!

Why didn't you like X?
daily living issues...the interior material was horrible. that felt fabric crap was impossible to keep clean. there were blind spots everywhere. the 1st gear WOT slow shifts were annoying, and incurable. the one I had never ran right either. it should have been almost as fast as my IX MR was bone stock, but it wasn't...at all. it was noticeably slower everywhere. I even lost a race to a damn CTS...not the V, but a regular CTS. At that point, it was time to go. there were other issues...I've posted about them in other threads. just glad the car is gone. oh, it was ugly too.

Originally Posted by superkizuna
I almost bought a white EVO X for a steal. The owner never got back to me on it, his loss. I would have loved the X I think but end the end I got a IX. I did research on the X and am glad to have the IX. Especially now that wifey is getting a Fiat 500 Abarth when they drop so I have the Lancer to myself!
you made the right choice lol

Originally Posted by 4RETECH
Welcome back..
I wish I still had my old one just to keep up the mileage game lol I was mileage king for the IX's the way you are for the 8's. Ah well, I'll just have to run this one to 300,000 miles. It'll just take me longer to get there now.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

We should sue mitsubishi for false advertising.... The evo x is not a true evo. You had to find out thr hard way. At least you got another 9
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I've never driven an X. So, what is different, what didn't you like?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
I've never driven an X. So, what is different, what didn't you like?
He said on post 8.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wish you luck and hope you love this new MR. I remember I was seriously consider buying your Evo a while back.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

My g/f has a X se. I like it, but not as much as my 9. Its true, its hard to believe, but the interior on the X's is even cheaper than it is on the 8/9. There is a lot of plastic and whatnot. I like the car though. If I could daily a X, then keep my 9 I would. I wouldnt ever sell the 9 for a x though.

Welcome back man!
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 809JDM
Wish you luck and hope you love this new MR. I remember I was seriously consider buying your Evo a while back.
lol the guy who did loves it. even at 180,000 miles, it was in better condition than this one with 64,000 miles when I bought it. I'm going to have to spend some money on this one to get it back to the shape my other one was in. I'm going to have the hood and front bumper repainted, and the front lip replaced. I've already refinished the headlights. The seats/steering wheel also aren't in as good a shape as my old one. my other car had already had the front bumper/lip/hood repainted, I'd just put brand new EVO IX MR headlights on it, all 4 wheels had just been refinished, and the interior was perfect. I remember when it was at Kevin D's shop one time with 165,000 miles a guy came in and thought it had at most 20-25,000 miles on it. Can you tell I miss that car? lol

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
My g/f has a X se. I like it, but not as much as my 9. Its true, its hard to believe, but the interior on the X's is even cheaper than it is on the 8/9. There is a lot of plastic and whatnot. I like the car though. If I could daily a X, then keep my 9 I would. I wouldnt ever sell the 9 for a x though.

Welcome back man!
I know! that's what surprised me the most. the 9 interior because of the leather and carbon fiber trim (even though it was fake) is higher quality than the standard X interior. The plastics in the X are also harder, and crappier. It kinda pissed me off that the 9's all the way down to the RS had leather/carbon trim, but the X's all have the basic crappy interior unless you get the MR or pay for the SSL package. It's like they downgraded the interior from the IX. that was crap.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you ever try the GSR? Maybe you're just a manual guy

Quick Reply: The Return....