Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

valve cover question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
valve cover question

so changing my plugs acouple days ago i noticed that the fitting on the right side of my valve cover snapped into two seperate peices. One stuck in the valve cover flush with it and the other peice still clamped in the tube that feeds to the catch can, i must of leaned on it wrong or somthing. Took the valve cover off today to find out i couldnt even push the peice thats stuck in through because of the tray on the inside of the cover and i wouldn't be able to retrieve it. The stupid thought of drilling it came into my head but then all the metal shavings and all that bs so decided not to, so what do you guys think i should do because im stumped? Just skip the hassle and find someone on here with a used valve cover or is there a way to get this peice out maybe someone else broke theirs and figured how to get it out. I'm always trying to save $$$$$$$$$ so getting it out is my first choice-just looking for advice on how to do that. Thanks for reading if you think you have a way to get it out let me know

-bryan
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty extensive, but it can bo done. I'd take it to a machine shop.

All of the magnesium nubbs that hold the baffle on have to be ground down, just enough for the baffle to come loose.

Have the old fitting drilled out. Pressing it will more than likely break the Mg the rocker cover is made out of. Get an AN fitting to put in there, no clue as to which one.

Have the machine shop drill and tap where all the nubbs were.

Replace with machine screws and a liberal amount of Loctite 571.

Please don't use a substitute for the Loctite. It has a higher temperature rating.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KenMasters
Pretty extensive, but it can bo done. I'd take it to a machine shop.

All of the magnesium nubbs that hold the baffle on have to be ground down, just enough for the baffle to come loose.

Have the old fitting drilled out. Pressing it will more than likely break the Mg the rocker cover is made out of. Get an AN fitting to put in there, no clue as to which one.

Have the machine shop drill and tap where all the nubbs were.

Replace with machine screws and a liberal amount of Loctite 571.

Please don't use a substitute for the Loctite. It has a higher temperature rating.
thanks for the wright up, im starting to lean more towards a new valve cover now tho lol seems like to much work for myself, when i can probally get one cheap on here
if anyones has a 8 valve cover for sale pm me
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i snapped mine off when i swapped my cams... i am pretty capable when it comes to minor things like that so i pulled the fitting lose. drilled out the hole and tapped it to fit a 1/8 npt fitting. then ordered a 1/8npt to -4an fitting and a -4an hose end and put it all together with some loctite.. a small part of the fitting and the shavings when inside the valve cover under the baffle so cut a small hole opposite of the fitting and flushed it all out... let it dry over night and reinstalled the valve cover...

it worked out great. but i did get a bit more oil build up in the catch can then usual. nothing extraordinary but more nonetheless