Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HKS H-power exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:31 AM
KJS
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
HKS H-power exhaust

So, i have this ****ty exhaust on my car, it's a common thing for this exhaust to rattle against the drive train a bit (especially when it's wet out).

So instead of buying a new cat back/TBE exhaust system. I want to have a buddy of mine cut out the baffle that's causing this issue, after all it's in the worst possible position, and replace it with a 3" inch pipe.

Where can I go about finding a pipe that's the right material? possibly scrap?

Last edited by KJS; Mar 26, 2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Any part store should have it in stock. Is the hks Stainless or just mild steel? If it’s just mild I would go to Napa and get a straight section in whatever length you want. Then paint it in something after its welded to keep it from rusting. You can get it with a collar too so you just have to slip it on the one side then lay a bead down around it. If your local part store can’t order in 3”exhaust pipe I would be VARY surprised unless its Stainless.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:36 PM
KJS
Evolving Member

No clue what kind of material it is, any sure fire way of telling?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have theis exhaust but I dont have any rattle issues... also have Aluminum DS though.

Its Mild Steel... only the Carbon/Ti is Stainless.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:04 PM
KJS
Evolving Member

Yeah, I have heard alot of stories of people have my exact problem with this exhaust.

Any hazards in cutting this baffle off and replacing it with a straight 3inch pipe?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hopeful_Kid18
Yeah, I have heard alot of stories of people have my exact problem with this exhaust.

Any hazards in cutting this baffle off and replacing it with a straight 3inch pipe?
The mid-resonator... No... cut that out if you need... It will make it a bit louder!
Be sure to use the same mild steel material so it welds nice... you may also want to make the adjustment now so it fits the JDM Rear if you are planning for that!!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
have you tried going to your local exhaust/muffler shops? they have mild steel there, but most if not all only mig weld.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:10 PM
KJS
Evolving Member

I tried NAPA today and they wanted 20$ for an 18 inch pipe so i'd probably need 2, Ill go to a muffler shop sometime tomorrow if I can