Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Oil coating the MAF

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2004, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil coating the MAF

last night during my attempt to install the P2 reflash boost hose, i removed the MAF/buschur filter from the intake tube. when i took the maf/filter off i looked inside and it has a thin coating of oil over the entire inside of the MAF....is this normal. Should I attempt to clean it up a little (of course being careful around the sensor)

any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Old Jan 21, 2004, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Get a catch can.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Its probably oil coming from the air filter. In this case, a catch can might not be that effective since the blow by tube is after the MAF.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by SLVRNBLK
Get a catch can.
I thought the oil recirculated back into the intake tube AFTER the MAF but before the turbo

Can the "oil" from an aftermarket filter affect/damage the MAF? I've heard of this but never gotten a solid answer. Would seem unlikely since so many people run aftermarket filters/intakes.

EDIT: Doh, beat me to it
Old Jan 21, 2004, 06:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
A large amoung of the filter oil COULD affect MAF readings.. but I haven't seen any definitive answers yet.. I do not know of a way to clean it without damaging the sensor though...

Usually the oiled gauze from the factory has very little oil that can get "Into" anything.. the trick is when you clean and re-oil a filter that you can get a little too generous with it.. it doesn't need alot of oil to get it to do its job.. (if your using the K&N filter kit) you only need to spray enough oil onto it after cleaning to make it evenly "pink" all around (no white spots) If it is dark pink, and/or puddling at the ends (plastic ends) then its way too much oil.. Usually you can oil it, let it sit for a while so it spreads evenly and if its sitting on end, the excess should drain down to the ends, you should then be able to clean most of it off.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
You guys are right. Man, that filter must be saturated with oil for it to be in the MAF. Still not a bad idea to have a catch can though.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

this def. is not oil from the filter....i have yet to clean the filter so really dont think this is the case.

I guess a catch can would be the answer here.....
Old Jan 21, 2004, 07:52 AM
Account Disabled

what filter do you have?
Old Jan 21, 2004, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by SuperchargedGTZ
this def. is not oil from the filter....i have yet to clean the filter so really dont think this is the case.

I guess a catch can would be the answer here.....
The filters come oil from the manufacturer. When the engine is running, air is being sucked into the turbo in one direction. And since the blow by tube is after the MAF on the intake, I can't see how the oil will get onto the MAF.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

It has to be the filter oil not motor oil. Filter oil destroyed my MAF on my prior car that had a cold air intake. It gave the ECU false reading and finally blew. The Evo uses a different type of MAF and a little filter oil should not affect anything.

I have a K&N drop in and I can see little oil dots inside the airbox, but not much.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i think all of u are right.....it has to be the filter, i just wouldnt think that THAT much oil would come from the filter. After thinking about it, it is def. the oil filter. when i took the DV off last night there was NO oil on the intake side of the DV. The oil was only on the discharge side of the DV.

Thanks guys

FYI i have a buschur filter from about 5 months ago
Old Jan 21, 2004, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

The HKS RS has no oil in the filter. Thats why you have to replace those filters very quickly.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Oil would only matter to a "Hot Wire" MAF sensor. The oil would coat it and insulate it from the passing air. This would cause false readings.

There was a good post that explained that Mitsu doesn't use that type of MAF sensor. The sensor measures air flow by counting vortexes that occur as the air flows around a structure in the sensor. It can determine velocity that way and with the temp and pressure through a known opening. The mass of the flowing air can be estimated.

I say don't worry about it, "FIDO", Fu--, It , Drive, On.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, I blew a hot wire MAF in my previous Nissan. Nissan MAFs are very sensitive. Glad I god rid of that POS.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,

I just installed my Samco hoses, and noticed that there was a fair amt of oil in my MAF and in the MAF pipe. It sure looks like engine oil, but per a search, it must be coming from my K&N filter, which I just cleaned.

So, since the MAF is a Karmann, should I not bother cleaning around the MAF with brake cleaner or the like?

If I should clean it, any tips would be great. I cleaned the MAF in my Audi with some isopropyl alcohol and some qtips, would that be better than a spray cleaner? I believe the Audi is a hot wire maf though..

Thanks,

FB

Quick Reply: Oil coating the MAF