Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mivec solenoid on my Evo 9

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mivec solenoid on my Evo 9

I'm running AEM ems. I have not driven my Evo for about 2 weeks and had the battery disconnected. I recently did a oil change before storing my Evo. Yesterday when I picked up the car and connected the battery, I drove it about 2 miles then I noticed that it slightly would sputter and I would have a hard time getting out of 1st gear, almost dying out. It felt like a bad vacuum leak. I looked at the car to make sure ever vacuum line was properly hooked up. Checked all sensors, and finally found that when you disconnect the Mivec oil control valve the car runs normal with vacuum being normal on my boost gauge. Do you guys think I have a bad oil control valve or possibly a bad AEM? I need everyone's opinion on this.

Last edited by cbareng; Apr 5, 2012 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Re word
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The MIVEC OCVs don't really go bad very often. Occasionally they get stuck, and need to be cleaned.

You can disconnect it and apply 12v to the terminals of the valve. If you hear it make a click noise, then it is working properly.

I would think that it being stuck is much more likely than it failing, or the AEM just magically changing?

Also... I recommend doing an oil change before you START your Evo for the first time after storing it, as this will have the oil trickling down through the motor.

Hope that helps.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ProPilot04
The MIVEC OCVs don't really go bad very often. Occasionally they get stuck, and need to be cleaned.

You can disconnect it and apply 12v to the terminals of the valve. If you hear it make a click noise, then it is working properly.

I would think that it being stuck is much more likely than it failing, or the AEM just magically changing?

Also... I recommend doing an oil change before you START your Evo for the first time after storing it, as this will have the oil trickling down through the motor.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the advice....I troubleshooter the car and AEM and found a constant ground signal to the Mivec Oil Valve Control solenoid leaving it on during idle. The AEM is bad and I have contacted AEM for warranty. Thanks for your input!