Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car still doesn't start right away?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's the barrel switch where you put in your key. You need to get one from a crashed car, or new. They develop minute cracks when you use a heavy set of keys and a key chain. Eventually, it will not start at all. You can start the car still if that's the case, by bridging the starter to the positive on the battery, but change it in the mean time.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another thing to note too is that it does this A LOT more when it is warm/hot outside. When it is cold/cool it will start on one of the first few tries whereas it can take 10+ tries to get it started when it is hot.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey I am having the same issue. I have already replaced my starter and the previous one I had was tested to be working fine. What the starter guy told me is that most likely it is the ground clip that clips to the starter. If this is somewhat loose it will not complete the circuit when it is hot outside. I am about to check the clip to see if I can secure it better. I will keep you posted. Check that clip first, most likely it is our problem.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_rc
Hey I am having the same issue. I have already replaced my starter and the previous one I had was tested to be working fine. What the starter guy told me is that most likely it is the ground clip that clips to the starter. If this is somewhat loose it will not complete the circuit when it is hot outside. I am about to check the clip to see if I can secure it better. I will keep you posted. Check that clip first, most likely it is our problem.
Hmm ok sounds good, let me know if that fixes the problem for you.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by umopp
I can check but how would I do so?

Would it be possible for you to take a picture of what you're talking about? If it's the same thing I remember seeing when I was having it changed, I think it is connected.

Where is the test lead and how do I check that? Is it something that I would just need to tighten up?
Bump for information on how to do the things the quoted people mentioned. Please help me guys, this problem is very annoying to say the least.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To check the thing I'm talking about, disconnect your battery. Unscrew the cover below the steering wheel, unscrew the part where you put your key and then unscrew the white cylinder, which is where the switches are. If you look inside, and at the back, you will most likely see hairline cracks in the connections. A new one is your best bet. I'm not guaranteeing this is the problem, but it was on my 7 many years ago, with similar symptoms to what you're seeing now.
Old May 1, 2012, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by crazybaldhead
To check the thing I'm talking about, disconnect your battery. Unscrew the cover below the steering wheel, unscrew the part where you put your key and then unscrew the white cylinder, which is where the switches are. If you look inside, and at the back, you will most likely see hairline cracks in the connections. A new one is your best bet. I'm not guaranteeing this is the problem, but it was on my 7 many years ago, with similar symptoms to what you're seeing now.
Cool man thanks.

Bump for more suggestions or how-to's on how to check the other things people mentioned.
Old May 3, 2012, 05:55 PM

curious if the ground to the starter solved this. im having a similar problem now.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me too. Mine started after having the column covers off to install an aftermarket steering wheel.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Bump for a resolution. This has happened to be at least twice so far both times when it was hot I let my car sit a few minutes and then it'll start like nothing ever happened.

Since the car starts is it more likely to be ignition related, perhaps a new ignition switch?