Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car still doesn't start right away?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car still doesn't start right away?

So I have been having this problem where I will put the key in the ignition, turn the key to start the car, and nothing happens. After a few turns to the off position and then back to the on position the car will finally start. When I originally asked about this, people told me me it was my starter so I bought one off of here that had less than 5,000 miles and after installing the replacement starter. My car still acts like this. I did more research and some people have suggested it could be the ignition switch. So before I buy this part and have it not fix the problem, does anyone else know what else could cause this problem? Thanks guys.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
When you turn the key, does anything come on? (radio, instrument cluster, etc...)

If you were going to replace your starter, I would have at least ran it to a parts store and had it tested. Just for future reference

I would lean towards an ignition switch but wait and see what some other people say about it.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
When you turn the key, does anything come on? (radio, instrument cluster, etc...)

If you were going to replace your starter, I would have at least ran it to a parts store and had it tested. Just for future reference

I would lean towards an ignition switch but wait and see what some other people say about it.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 01:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thore

Ok so I'll be more descriptive. When I stick the key in the ignition and turn it to accessory, everything turns on like it normally would, the radio turns on, dome light turns on, and nothing is dim.

When I turn the key to try and start it, everything basically turns off. Like if I turned the key to start it and held it there (turning it as far as it will go), it will basically be like the key isn't in the ignition at all.

Hopefully that makes more sense.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 01:50 AM
Evolving Member

Your battery could have a bad connection, check the battery and see if there is any corrosion on the terminals.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 02:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check the ignition connections too. there maybe a loose or bad connector. I had a bad connector when my alarm was installed and had the same problem.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 02:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hendrixmx
your battery could have a bad connection, check the battery and see if there is any corrosion on the terminals.
+1
Old Apr 5, 2012, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here you go:

1) Turn on your head lights and then turn the car over. If the lights get really dim or go out then your problem lies with the batter (some aspect not necessarily dead)

2) Turn over car and listen for solenoid opening and closing. If you hear that then your battery is good and the problem could be fuel related

I think from what you have that you should take a look at the posts on the battery and make sure they are secured well.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine wouldn't start one time, just to check.... look at your crank position sensor make sure the wire didn't get burnt or chewed up mine did before and took me 2 weeks to fig out that it was cut through.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scothu
check the ignition connections too. there maybe a loose or bad connector. I had a bad connector when my alarm was installed and had the same problem.
Originally Posted by kaonashi
Mine wouldn't start one time, just to check.... look at your crank position sensor make sure the wire didn't get burnt or chewed up mine did before and took me 2 weeks to fig out that it was cut through.
Can you guys explain to me how to do those things that you mentioned? I have no idea where they are or how to check them.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by umopp
Can you guys explain to me how to do those things that you mentioned? I have no idea where they are or how to check them.
Bump, anyone?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Trouble shooting 101 - does the small wire going to the starter always have power when you turn the ignition switch to start?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Had a evo recently with the same issue. Check the Ground cable that is bolted to the trans. Ours was not connected.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the car eventually starts, it's not the starter. The electrical circuit to provide 12VDC to your car works properly as confirmed when your accesories come on. The problem is in you circuit for ignition. Certain checks are made before the car will start. If there is an open circuit, the car won't start. An example would be to try to start the car while in gear and not have the clutch all the way in. This is done to make sure the car is in the correct configuration to safely start. For your starter there are 3 wires, power, ground and a test lead. If any of these are disconnected or loose, the car won't start. I've had problems in the past with the test lead and I would have to wiggle it to get the car to start. You'll notice there are other components in your engine bay that have these leads.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Trouble shooting 101 - does the small wire going to the starter always have power when you turn the ignition switch to start?
I can check but how would I do so?

Originally Posted by Evokid03@SierraMS
Had a evo recently with the same issue. Check the Ground cable that is bolted to the trans. Ours was not connected.
Would it be possible for you to take a picture of what you're talking about? If it's the same thing I remember seeing when I was having it changed, I think it is connected.

Originally Posted by mithrandir7533
If the car eventually starts, it's not the starter. The electrical circuit to provide 12VDC to your car works properly as confirmed when your accesories come on. The problem is in you circuit for ignition. Certain checks are made before the car will start. If there is an open circuit, the car won't start. An example would be to try to start the car while in gear and not have the clutch all the way in. This is done to make sure the car is in the correct configuration to safely start. For your starter there are 3 wires, power, ground and a test lead. If any of these are disconnected or loose, the car won't start. I've had problems in the past with the test lead and I would have to wiggle it to get the car to start. You'll notice there are other components in your engine bay that have these leads.
Where is the test lead and how do I check that? Is it something that I would just need to tighten up?

Quick Reply: Car still doesn't start right away?