Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

why does my evo vi max out in 188-190 kmph??

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2012, 04:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
Speed cut defender is hardware (like a boost controller or turbo timer), you wire it in and you're good. You should be able to delete the speed cut in the ecu by raising to it an impossible level, ie 500kmh. It's part of your tune, you can get the cable and software and do it yourself or you can take it to a tuner and pay them to do it. You might even be able to get a tuner to sort it out through email, but you will still need the cable and software.

I think you need a 2.0 cable for EVO 6 (check that on evoscan.com) and you will need ecuflash and maybe evoscan to pull the rom.
Andy can u recommend me a proper unit for this.. if its on ebay,would be better...
thanks,..
Old May 24, 2012, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you don't need any ecu or hardware for it. And you don't have to wire anything in.
It's a parameter in your current ecu. Just take it somewhere that can tune the car and get them to raise the limit.
You'll probably find some places will do it for free to get your repeat business when you need a tune.
Old May 24, 2012, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

No, it is not necessary to install something in your car to delete speed cut but some may prefer it to tuning. The GReddy Speed Cut Controller just gets wired in to the speed wire in your ECU. If you search it on eBay, something will come up.

What is preferable to installing that is removing it from your ECU all together. To do this you will need to purchase an Openport 2.0 cable (this is the specific cable for reflashing evo 6), ECUFlash software (FREE!). Then you just need to pull your ROM off your car, adjust speed cut and then reflash your ROM back onto your car. The advantage of doing it this way is that the 2.0 cable has other uses (I personally think all evos should come with OBD2 cables and logging software) and you don't need to have a little black box in your car.
Old May 25, 2012, 01:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
No, it is not necessary to install something in your car to delete speed cut but some may prefer it to tuning. The GReddy Speed Cut Controller just gets wired in to the speed wire in your ECU. If you search it on eBay, something will come up.

What is preferable to installing that is removing it from your ECU all together. To do this you will need to purchase an Openport 2.0 cable (this is the specific cable for reflashing evo 6), ECUFlash software (FREE!). Then you just need to pull your ROM off your car, adjust speed cut and then reflash your ROM back onto your car. The advantage of doing it this way is that the 2.0 cable has other uses (I personally think all evos should come with OBD2 cables and logging software) and you don't need to have a little black box in your car.
appreciate a lot for the links & comments. Thanks.. helped a lot..
Old Oct 3, 2013, 06:10 PM

Just to answer the other guy asking a couple pages ago...the Australia evo 7 here cuts out at exactly 112 miles per hr or just after 180 kms/hr which is what our speedo's show too,,,but as said many times here easiest is just to change to really High level after buying tactrix cable u need which for me 1.3 metre U was best and then it can be used for future aswell, otherwise there are a couple good limiter cut products on the market for around $100.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tas evo7,04/636
Just to answer the other guy asking a couple pages ago...the Australia evo 7 here cuts out at exactly 112 miles per hr or just after 180 kms/hr which is what our speedo's show too,,,but as said many times here easiest is just to change to really High level after buying tactrix cable u need which for me 1.3 metre U was best and then it can be used for future aswell, otherwise there are a couple good limiter cut products on the market for around $100.
no you dont need to spend money on this matter. take it to a tuner spot and tell them to put the limiter at 250 or above. it was more like a plug and command for the ECU, simple process. nothing major.