Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Las Vegas Mitsu Meeting NEWS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2002, 03:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Las Vegas Mitsu Meeting NEWS

OK....WHAT DO WE KNOW?!? ANYTHING?

.............. ....anybody?....

.................................................. ...hello?

uhhhhh....ittt's daaark in here an' I'm getting kinda ssccssccared
Old Jul 16, 2002, 03:23 AM

From the Southeast

Well, I have called dealers in GA and the neighboring states. Many if not all do not want to give a deposit on MSRP. I know all the dealers I talked to in GA said that they will sell with a 5000 markup. Ridiculous if you ask me. Still waiting to hear from dealers in FL. Some said they will sell at a pircer slightly higher than MSRP. Pretty much what I expected.

Hopefully other group members have better luck than me.
Old Jul 16, 2002, 03:28 AM

Rick Case, general manager of Wyzata Mitsu, is in Vegas at this time. Troy Fenner (salesman who is dealing with Evos) says "This all could change so don't hold me to it":
We are getting 7-10 units in January. Have taken 7 deposits and are not taking any more because we can't guarantee the car after those 7.
Should be 2500 units in Jan, 2500 more in July/August...they will all be the same.
Yes I have been on the lancerforums site...not real recently...looks like Mitsubishi should send 20,000 instead of 5,000!
Haven't heard anything from Vegas yet.

Well, I told Troy to call Vegas right now...he laughed...nice guy though.
Old Jul 16, 2002, 03:59 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

Here's the "big" news from Las Vegas

North American Executive to Lead New Company; New Structure Reflects Region's Increased Role in Company's Global Strategic Plan

LAS VEGAS, July 16 /PRNewswire/ -- At the company's annual North American dealer meeting today, Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) announced plans to completely consolidate its North American sales, manufacturing, finance, and research and development operations into a new single organization.

The company will be called Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) and will be led by a new management structure composed of North American executives who have recently overseen a complete overhaul of the company's operations in the United States and led the Japanese automaker to three consecutive years of record U.S. sales, profits, brand awareness and productivity. The company's success in the United States has become one of the primary engines driving MMC's global turnaround.

"North America has emerged as a thriving market for Mitsubishi Motors and is now recognized in Japan as an important target for further growth and investment," said Rolf Eckrodt, president and CEO of MMC. "Creating one single, unified organization allows for better synergies with Mitsubishi's global operations and reflects the recent success and the enormous potential we see in this critical region."

Steve Torok, executive vice president of international car operations for MMC, noted that Mitsubishi Motors is preparing for an unprecedented wave of new product launches in North America, introducing seven new products over the next three years, and that the company's plans to expand into Canada are well ahead of schedule. Through its alliance with DaimlerChrysler, Mitsubishi is also developing plans to begin selling cars in Mexico in early 2003.

"We've made tremendous strides over the past several years," Torok added. "But we've really just begun. Our next phase of growth is coming on fast and we need to be prepared with a focused organization that can move quickly and react without hesitation."

Mitsubishi Motors announced that Pierre Gagnon will be promoted to
president and CEO of MMNA and he will be responsible for leading all Mitsubishi Motors operations in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico. Gagnon becomes first ever North American to lead Mitsubishi Motors in North America since the company was established in the United States in 1981. In his new position, Gagnon will also lead an intense focus on capturing market share and enhancing the customer experience throughout North America.

Gagnon previously served as president and COO of Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America, Inc. (MMSA), the sales and marketing organization for Mitsubishi-brand vehicles in the United States. Under Gagnon's leadership, MMSA has successfully established a strong and popular brand identity that connects well with a growing population of young consumers. Sales have increased 69 percent over three years, contributing to three consecutive years of record MMSA profits as well.

Mitsubishi Motors expects MMNA to be fully established by the first
quarter of 2003. In the meantime, Gagnon will assume the position of president and CEO of Mitsubishi Motors America (MMA), the legal name for Mitsubishi's North American administrative organization connected to the individual sales and manufacturing companies.

Rich Gilligan, currently president and COO of Mitsubishi Motor Manufacturing of America, Inc. (MMMA), will retain his current responsibilities as head of Mitsubishi's North American manufacturing operation, and will assume an expanded role for quality and procurement throughout North America. Gilligan will also join Mitsubishi's Global Production Integration team.

Under Gilligan's leadership, MMMA's Normal, Ill., assembly plant broke into the top three in assembly productivity among North American automobile manufacturers, delivered improved quality, secured the 2002 Harbour Report North America "most improved" ranking for the third consecutive year, and MMMA has emerged as a highly profitable company. In MMNA, Gilligan will assume the position of executive vice president and COO of the Manufacturing and Procurement division.

Mitsubishi Motors also announced the promotion of Greg O'Neill to president and COO of MMSA. O'Neill replaces Gagnon and will assume responsibility for all sales and marketing functions within the new organization. O'Neill previously served as executive vice president and general manager of MMSA, and played a critical role in driving the company's brand strategy, implementing new technologies at the corporate level and expanding Mitsubishi's U.S. dealer network. In the newly created company MMNA, O'Neill will assume the position of executive vice president and COO of the Marketing and Sales division.

Mitsubishi Motors identified several important benefits the new consolidated organization will provide as the company enters the next phase of its North American growth strategy. The new company's structure will increase Mitsubishi Motors' competitive advantage in North America by integrating all aspects of the company's operations, from engineering and design to distribution and marketing strategies and will ensure development and delivery of the best products to meet market demands.

Other benefits include:
-- Streamline business planning processes
-- Create one North American legal entity for financial reporting purposes to better reflect overall investment and profit picture
-- Leverage support functions and related resources more effectively across the organizations
-- Eliminate non-value added inter-corporate pricing negotiations and related processes
-- Enable more strategic long-term planning and product development

The movement toward this new organization began in June 2000 with
consolidation of support functions between MMSA and MMMA.

Mitsubishi Motors' North American operations currently include: Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America, Inc. (MMSA), based in Cypress, Calif., the sole distributor of Mitsubishi-badged cars and light trucks in the American market through a network of more than 580 dealers in 50 states; Mitsubishi Motor Credit of America (MMCA) a wholly-owned finance subsidiary of MMSA; Mitsubishi Motor Manufacturing of America, Inc. (MMMA), located in Normal, Ill., produces the Mitsubishi Galant, Eclipse and Eclipse Spyder, and two models for DaimlerChrysler Corporation; Mitsubishi Motors Research and Development of America, Inc. (MRDA), located in Ann Arbor, Mich., and Cypress, Calif., is responsible for the design and engineering of Mitsubishi products for the
American market; and Mitsubishi Motors America, Inc. (MMA), currently based in Southfield, Mich., oversees parts procurement for MMC and coordinates government relations in the United States.
(one more for good measure)

Where the hell is the Evo info?
Old Jul 16, 2002, 04:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
too soon...

I just dropped my GM and President off at the airport today. I told them to make sure they pay attention when Evo news pops up. But sense it is being held at the Velagio (sp?) I think being focused might be difficult for them
Old Jul 16, 2002, 04:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by RaX

Where the hell is the Evo info?
Better yet, where's the car info period? Hell, I want a new gen Galant VR-4. Turbocharged AWD cars could become their trademark.
Old Jul 16, 2002, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by pjal84

Turbocharged AWD cars could become their trademark.
like a subaru?
Old Jul 16, 2002, 04:18 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

nahh... Subarus are AWD cars for lesbians
Old Jul 16, 2002, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

Aaaaand, whats wronf with lesbians? No bull dikes please....
Old Jul 16, 2002, 05:18 AM

GPTourer,

I guess you need to go rent "Ocean's Eleven"...been out on VHS for several months now...decent movie.
You definitely will not forget the name Bellagio after that It's written in the floor!!!

OK Group:

No news is not good news. Dealer familiar with Evo said "My general manager came back from a meeting where they told him the MSRP would be 32-35K"
Which would make more sense if they are going to have the AYC/ACD standard. But no new news on the Evo, apparently. Awsome job by RaX on posting that PRNews report!!

Good News: The first 15 of us are well on our way to MSRP Evos!!!

(despite my not hearing from ANYONE about contacting their dealers etc I have a very enthusiastic and well connected (not conjecture) manager working with us) We have engaged in discussions about everything from specs/other-state registrations/group mods to coordinating with the nationwide ad agency for the media event (NO significant info on that and we will NOT be contacting any advertisers or media unless/until our current contact OK's it)

We will also need someone who lives in Oregon or Montana to work with us. That or we're all going in on renting an appt there. No, I'm not joking For those who can't make the event, the dealer (can't reveal at this time) who is willing to coordinate delivery and fairly sure they will be able to do so (by getting cars from other dealerships) will set up shipping. If you have to have your Evo shipped it'll mean paying for shipping. Details will be discussed via PM's with those in the group.

Deals can be made for mods prior to delivery, with parts of OUR designation (RMR or RRM or whoever) retailed to us at 18-20% over cost, with MMC mechanics installing at the dealership with group discount(they have a good sized rally/speed shop) and thus full warantees retained. Yes. I know what I am saying. As a specific example (which I discussed) we can put aftermarket turbos (titanium alloy, etc) on and if the engine blows, it's covered. Of course you'll have to wait a while to get another Evo.
Also, of course, the MMC mechanics aren't going to push the boost to 2.5 bar...but then later ... and then if it blows ... we can set the you-know-what back you-know-where ...and there is MMC documentation of authorized equipment under warantee
(whistling innocently: "do-d-dooo") Yeah, well...whatever.

EVERYBODY DRIVE YOUR DEALER NUTS TO FIND OUT ANY NEW INFO that MIGHT have been passed at the Bellagio!
Old Jul 16, 2002, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

MyCre8n=Evlshn:

I live in Oregon, but I can't understand what the heck you're talking about! The dealers around here, and in Washington for that matter, all suck. Believe me, I contacted every single one about 6 months ago.

Anyways, if you could explain what you mean by...

We will also need someone who lives in Oregon or Montana to work with us.
I might be able to help in some way.

Rax - I'm sure can make the lesbians switch brands when they see the lovely new Turbo Cedias. j/k! Let's all hope they never get to see a Turbo Cedia. Bleh!
Old Jul 16, 2002, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

so basically all that "wait till vegas, we'll know everything" stuff we've been getting is all bull****?
the vegas meeting has come and gone and nothing more is known?
at the very least, before options and all that, i want one picture... anything at all...
i just feel like they're really jerkin us around
i can understand if they can't discuss performance to keep the competitors guessing, but come on

Last edited by perfdrug; Jul 21, 2002 at 08:41 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2002, 01:10 AM

Unhappy BAD news

OK Gang, here's some info...I won't reveal source but suffice it to say I have not been a "rumorer" on this forum.

1) 6-speed manual (good)
2) MSRP ~31-32 K
3) NO ACD (and thus presumably no AYC) because it couldn't (yet?) be combined with the 6-speed.
4) Intercooler still in front, same turbo setup...was biggest difficulty in passing US legalization but they got it passed.
5) Canada will NOT be getting the Evo despite 31 new dealerships there (they could not get the front IC passed and MMC wasn't going to redesign for Canada)
6) MMC has the capacity to increase production to 12,000 units to the US. They are likely going to deliver well over the 5,000 rumored and probably 12,000
7) MMC has instructed all dealers to NOT take deposits and to not make any agreements until distribution #'s are given (from Western and Eastern regional sales dist. centers) officially September 1st. When this happens, they will begin forming sales rosters and taking deposits. Dealers are not going to be selling at MSRP (by all indications) except as those agreements have been written up ahead of time (like people on this site)

This all means that the naysayers were probably right...get your deposits in to dealers right away if they will agree to sell at MSRP. Dealer working with me for group buy said "wait until mid to late August and then we can do something"....well, whatever.

As to the Oregon person not understanding why we wanted to buy cars in Oregon (using your address to register them): There is no sales tax in your state. Cars can be bought and registered in OR and delivered to dealers in other states (some dealers are willing to do this...with a "dealer trade"). So if someone has a residence in OR, then they can buy the car and register it there without paying ~$2,000 in sales tax.

That's the deal. If anyone found something better, let me know.
Old Jul 19, 2002, 01:18 AM

I will just say that Mycre8n's post has the ring of truth to it. Canada has stricter low speed crash laws than the U.S. A Canadian car must survive a low speed impact with ZERO damage. This is why RS Impreza's in Canada never had the V5 bumper. The pieplate foglights would always get cracked in a frontal hit, even at very low speed.

So IF the Evo still has some kind of FMIC, it would make perfect sense that it will never see the vast clear sweeping highways of the great white north. (sniff...)
Old Jul 19, 2002, 01:37 AM
Evolved Member

hmm..wonder if they did change the intercooler though. Tha redesing front end pictures that have been floating around would look like they get less air flow. If the liscence plate stays in front I'll be unhappy lucy. 7 gsr's from EI look good still IMO