Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 totaled because of engine

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance quoted me $4500 for a used engine and it still needs to be installed and the damages still need to be fixed raising the total cost to get the car up and in running condition to about $9000-$11000. Insurance is totaling the car and will settle with me an amount for the car.

As far as getting some of the aftermarket parts, insurance has included some of it in their price when they buy it back. But since it's on a loan, I wont see much money coming my way.

After that's all taken care of, I'm going to get another loan and buy another evo.

Also my insurance rates aren't going up because they determined that I hit an animal due to some fur/hair on the front bumper.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Really? I'm surprised nobody has said this, but you need to go after the inspection station for the engine. The car was there to be "inspected." How did they not know that there wasn't oil in engine before they started it? You need to be reaming the inspection center's and the insurance's *** for that b/c it's damage after the fact. Also take it somewhere other than "your Tuner" for a look at the engine. Get a detailed check of the inside of the oil pan in search of metal shavings. If you don't see metal you're probably ok to drive it until you can afford a full tear-down and rebuild.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Runker
Insurance quoted me $4500 for a used engine and it still needs to be installed and the damages still need to be fixed raising the total cost to get the car up and in running condition to about $9000-$11000. Insurance is totaling the car and will settle with me an amount for the car.

As far as getting some of the aftermarket parts, insurance has included some of it in their price when they buy it back. But since it's on a loan, I wont see much money coming my way.

After that's all taken care of, I'm going to get another loan and buy another evo.

Also my insurance rates aren't going up because they determined that I hit an animal due to some fur/hair on the front bumper.
Sucks but thats probably the best outcome really.

Good luck on the new evo.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
4500 sounds like a NEW engine. As mentioned above the motor is probably fine. I doubt they took it to the movies.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by StreetEvo
Really? I'm surprised nobody has said this, but you need to go after the inspection station for the engine. The car was there to be "inspected." How did they not know that there wasn't oil in engine before they started it? You need to be reaming the inspection center's and the insurance's *** for that b/c it's damage after the fact. Also take it somewhere other than "your Tuner" for a look at the engine. Get a detailed check of the inside of the oil pan in search of metal shavings. If you don't see metal you're probably ok to drive it until you can afford a full tear-down and rebuild.
Yes it's the inspection stations fault, but it isn't my responsibility to handle that matter with them. I am angry and can see who is to blame, and I've told my insurance that and hopefully my insurance company will be going after them to cover my loss due to their mistake.

And yes, a good amount of metal shavings were found. THE ENGINE IS ****ED!

Last edited by Runker; Apr 18, 2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I knew of a guy who wrecked his evo and had it towed to his house after instead of a salvage yard or anything like that then he took out the seats, aftermarket parts, and the turbo and told the insurance ajuster that the parts got stolen I know it is wrong to do and insurance fraud but i'm just letting you know of an instance that it happened and nothing came of it.