Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 totaled because of engine

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 totaled because of engine

Long story short. Got in a minor accident involving an object in the road. Immediately pulled over and shut off the car. Didn't see it in time, my fault. No airbags deployed. Front bumper torn up, oil cooler ripped off, radiator damaged, licp damaged, oil filter and other **** messed up. Total estimated cost by insurance $1400, no big deal.

Car was towed and held over the weekend and then transported to Insurance Auto Auction, an inspection yard for my insurance agent to look at. Car was then towed to my tuner's shop to get repaired and he called me and told me that that written on the windshield, it said "CAR STARTS". I flip out because there was no oil in the engine. Now my tuner says the car is totaled because it needs a new engine, all because of an idiot at the salvage yard who decided to start it up. Insurance said they'll put in a junkyard engine but my tuner advises against it saying you'll probably have to rebuild it in a few months so it's just better to get another evo to save myself money.

So what happens now is that the insurance will total the vehicle, pay off my loan. And now I have to shop for another evo.

Life sucks.

So my only question is this:

Can I remove some of my aftermarket parts (like my bov, shiftknob, gauges, etc?) even though the bank owns the totaled evo?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you want to keep the evo forever, buy it back from them and put your own engine into it. That's what I would do
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thisxguy
if you want to keep the evo forever, buy it back from them and put your own engine into it. That's what I would do
Ya but fixing the damage plus buying another engine OR rebuilding the current engine (parts and labor) will be about the same price as buying another evo. And that would require me to drop money out of MY pocket.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

I agree that it would suck paying for repairs and what not. But if the damage is minor to the body then I wouldn't mind rebuilding the engine, especially if that's your plan down the road.

I don't like the idea of buying a used evo since many are beat up and the history is almost totally a mystery. I also prefer the evo 9 to the evo 10, which places me at the position to try and keep mine

As for your question, I'm sure you can get most of the stuff off the car especially if you replace them with stock parts
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It doesnt matter I will buy it from them in a few. Your premium will go up soon so they will get their money back either way through insurance. You make the claim if the claim is more than x,y,z on your premium counting the deductable they will raise your rates either way I believe.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
u cant take parts off if the insurance has it, thats considered stealing since they are writing u a check for the entire car. if it happened and you had already taken the parts off before the insurance writes a total loss then thats in the grey area but they dont know what was already there and what wasnt, so its ok to a sense. im not trying to give my approval towards insurance fraud but i advised against taking parts off since the insurance company was kind enough to pay off your loan and car etc.

heres the dilemma now. if theres barely any damage but u think the motor is blown and u have tons of "great" i mean great parts then i would buy it back and throw in another motor... BUT now the car has a salvage title.

or you can take the check and look for another evo, hopefully u can find one thats in relatively stock shape. hard to find, stock ones usually come with a high price tag. but u have a clean title.

oh like the guy above me said, EXPECT your insurance rate to sky rocket. if u were paying an arm before, your gonna lose another at least. your now considered high risk.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If body damage is not bad fix it. Engines can be rebuilt. If you let it go it will end up at auction and your chance of getting it back at a good price drops. Unless you work a deal ahead of time with insurance to buy it back.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Good advice^^^^^^
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sujinX
u cant take parts off if the insurance has it, thats considered stealing since they are writing u a check for the entire car. if it happened and you had already taken the parts off before the insurance writes a total loss then thats in the grey area but they dont know what was already there and what wasnt, so its ok to a sense. im not trying to give my approval towards insurance fraud but i advised against taking parts off since the insurance company was kind enough to pay off your loan and car etc.

heres the dilemma now. if theres barely any damage but u think the motor is blown and u have tons of "great" i mean great parts then i would buy it back and throw in another motor... BUT now the car has a salvage title.

or you can take the check and look for another evo, hopefully u can find one thats in relatively stock shape. hard to find, stock ones usually come with a high price tag. but u have a clean title.

oh like the guy above me said, EXPECT your insurance rate to sky rocket. if u were paying an arm before, your gonna lose another at least. your now considered high risk.

You can take your AFTER market parts off the car. You just need to put the STOCK parts back on.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I was in a similar situation. KB on the car was 14K. New engine build was at least 10k. Car value W/O motor was 7K. I negotiated with the ins co. to settle for 5k instead off writing off the car for 7, saving them 2k. I put in 5k on my own and built the motor, everyone was happy ( except my wife who was pissed I spent 5k).
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Brianawd
You can take your AFTER market parts off the car. You just need to put the STOCK parts back on.
did YOU NOT read that i said he CAN remove the parts?
i said if insurance HAS the CAR. then NO HE CANT. if he has the car then YES he CAN.

chances of OP having stock parts to put back on is very small.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Did your tuner look at the engine. You might not need a new engine if they started for a few seconds then shut it off.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I want to know where you guys are getting your outlandish build costs. Labor included, all the bottom end parts in my sig, plus new oil pan, cooler, pump, filter housing, etc, plus IX turbo only came to $4500.

At which point, your insurance is on the hook, as is the yard that started your car. Court is the answer for the latter.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

I dont understand why you cant just tell the insurance company that you want the used motor in the car...that way they fix it all and you get your car back. Sounds to me your shop was being greedy thinking they could pump more money out of the insurance company and it backfired
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sujinX
did YOU NOT read that i said he CAN remove the parts?
i said if insurance HAS the CAR. then NO HE CANT. if he has the car then YES he CAN.

chances of OP having stock parts to put back on is very small.
Even if the insurance has the car you can still pull your after market parts off and put the stock parts back on. Or you tell the insurance to give you more money based off the parts.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 totaled because of engine