Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Driver's Side Headlight Issue

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
Driver's Side Headlight Issue

Do any of you guys with non-HID evos that have switched to HIDs have an inconsistent driver's side headlight?

This is the second HID kit I've owned where the driver's side headlight will at times not come on. When it happened with the first HID kit it was fixed pretty much by jiggling with that headlight's fuse, buying new fuse etc.

I've swapped fuses and the passenger side HID will go on but not the driver's side. I know most people will say obviously it's the driver's side bulb, but the driver's side HID will turn on from time to time, randomly, and work completely normally. Then other times it takes a couple flicks on and off, and sometimes it won't work for a while.

This new kit (Xtreme Digital HID - http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Xtreme-Dig...-Kits-s/21.htm) - very high quality - probably doesn't have more than 100 hours on it, and I bought it with the Philips bulbs. Again, only the driver's side headlight ever goes out. Since this is the second HID kit, and the fact that it goes on and off (not just bulb blown out or something) leads me to think there is some kind of issue, and I can't be the only one -

anyone with the same issue?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
it's an issue with the ballast, nothing else. if you're not running a relay, run one. if you're having issues still, get it replaced
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
it's an issue with the ballast, nothing else. if you're not running a relay, run one. if you're having issues still, get it replaced
so both headlight kits i had had a ballast issue?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally think you should go with a kit that is properly adjusted for your specs and not with what everyone else goes with on the bandwaggon. Try to make sure that you do not have an electrical issue aswell too.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by impact blue
I personally think you should go with a kit that is properly adjusted for your specs and not with what everyone else goes with on the bandwaggon. Try to make sure that you do not have an electrical issue aswell too.
not sure what you mean by my specs?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

ttt
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im on my second HID kit, i have an 05 8 non hid, i switched to jdm MR 8 headlights, and had one kit that the driver side bulb went out, after testing, it turned out the kit just was very old. i installed a new kit, and havent had a problem since.

I honestly think its your kit. if the ballast wears out, then that means your light wont go on. you said you have no phillips bulbs in ? then it has to definetly be your ballast.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donmeca2020
im on my second HID kit, i have an 05 8 non hid, i switched to jdm MR 8 headlights, and had one kit that the driver side bulb went out, after testing, it turned out the kit just was very old. i installed a new kit, and havent had a problem since.

I honestly think its your kit. if the ballast wears out, then that means your light wont go on. you said you have no phillips bulbs in ? then it has to definetly be your ballast.
So I had two high-end kits in a row that would only be inconsistent in the driver's side headlight? It's gotta be something inherent in the car, or at least in mine.

FYI, the driver's side light is working flawlessly right now.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
if u have 2 kits and both driver side failed, then u still have a good set left. try it and see if it does the same thing. since this time its all lefts

or swap the R and L and see if it still happens.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sujinX
if u have 2 kits and both driver side failed, then u still have a good set left. try it and see if it does the same thing. since this time its all lefts

or swap the R and L and see if it still happens.
Two completely separate kits, years and brands apart, both would intermittently not turn on the drivers side only, but then would work on and off?

Nevermind - I'll try to figure out what the issue is. Rule out anything with the kits themselves - Think wiring, grounds, fuses, if enough volts are going to both lights, etc...

I've seen other people with HID kits that said they had to flick the light on and off a few times to get the drivers light going - that's what i'm talking about - not some failure in the bulb or ballast
Old Apr 27, 2012, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

bump