Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How to drive for best economy?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
How to drive for best economy?

Alright, before I get burned at the stakes for even thinking about fuel economy...

Just out of curiosity. I was puttering around on a 45mph road. I found myself between doing ~3k RPM in 4th or going into 5th, lowering the RPM but boosting a little on uphills and whatnot.

Which is better for mileage, not boosting and being in higher RPM or boosting ~5-10psi?

Also, currently my manual boost controller valve is closed, and my gauge stops at 11psi when WOT. If I open my boost valve to, say, 3 turns, and raise the PSI at WOT, if I don't boost, does the open valve affect the mileage at all? If it doesn't then I'll just open it to have that power available when/if I need it.

Sorry if a dimwitted or obvious question, but I'm pretty new to turbo engines.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going up a hill at 4th at higher rpms at no boost is more efficient than 5th gear at lower rpms at boost. Boost will trigger the ecu to run at a richer setting due to a heavier engine load. Regardless of the mbc is set at boost is boost, and whenever on it means more fuel being burned. Hope this makes sense.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahhh honestly its a give or take kind of thing if your too worried about fuel economy get a fuel economy car or drive another car that saves gas more than the evo and take the evo out on a day when you feel is best suited for you or get it tuned further and dont go into boost often.

Last edited by impact blue; Apr 22, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stay out of boost = best fuel economy
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Makes sense. When I boosted to like 17, I did a few accelerations and after a dozen times doing that (not launching, just accelerating) the fuel level dropped by a quarter, LOL.

My 03 is stock and wasn't even high power from factory (~230 to the wheel) so I'm not even going crazy in it, just wondering.

So the other question, if I open the controller to boost to 19, if I don't boost, I'll maintain the same mileage I have now?
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:24 PM

Keep it in the garage ,like I do ,that's how I get good gas mileage lol
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Shift before you hit boost. And just try to stay out of boost when you hit boost you drop mpg. If city driving kinda hard to save on gas but higway car does great without hiting boost
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

27 mpg driving to the track.........6-7 mpg at the track.
Highway little to no boost.............nothing but boost.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

this works well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtG6N4WXFGI&t=18s

Last edited by akeric; Apr 22, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pshooter
27 mpg driving to the track.........6-7 mpg at the track.
Highway little to no boost.............nothing but boost.
^^^^ well said sir!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

I got 26.4 mpg highway a couple weeks ago gong down to Philly...I was thrilled. Just took it easy, did the speed limits and enjoyed the ride. Its nice to know that the car can get this good a mpg when you want it to.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by akeric
this works well
LMAO, if they used a green screen for scenery outside, they could fool a lot of people into thinking that the car was actually moving. Funniest was the Civic launch at the end.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got as high as 28mpg on pump gas, I've been averaging 22 around town on E85 recently, mostly highway though.

The trick is, as stated, keeping out of boost. If you're going up hill and won't hold up traffic, don't change the pedal position or do so only slightly, let the car decel some up hill, you'll more than make up for the loss of speed by the increased efficiency of the downhill that follows.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fafaforza
Makes sense. When I boosted to like 17, I did a few accelerations and after a dozen times doing that (not launching, just accelerating) the fuel level dropped by a quarter, LOL.

My 03 is stock and wasn't even high power from factory (~230 to the wheel) so I'm not even going crazy in it, just wondering.

So the other question, if I open the controller to boost to 19, if I don't boost, I'll maintain the same mileage I have now?
Doesn't matter what the boost is set to... out of boost is out of boost no matter what your peak boost is set to.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
i do a looot of highway driving so i'm pretty attentive to my fuel consumption - weirdly, i've noticed the car gets really good gas mileage around 85mph (06 evo ix) i think there's got to be some kind of rpm range that the engine operates efficiently at - i've noticed this a fuel times, pretty odd.

Quick Reply: How to drive for best economy?