Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Safelite

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2004, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Safelite

Got a quarter size chip on my windshield today. I called Progressive and they are sending me Safelite to fix or possibly replace my windshield. Anyone have experience with them?
Old Jan 23, 2004, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Safelite will put an aftermarket windshield in your car and it will decrease the value of it ( for people like me that value a product that is a part of the structural integrity of your car ).... i would demand an OE windshield that does not say SGC or LSI on it..
Old Jan 23, 2004, 06:06 AM

Unless you are doing a 100 point concours type restoration on a classic car, in my 30+ years in this business I'd have to say that I have never known of an aftermarket windshield affecting the value of a car. Get real. Yes, you are correct, with today's monococque chassis with glued in windshields, they are a stressed member of the body assembly. The adhesives used in the installation of a replacement windshield are every bit as good (in some cases the same) as the OEM ones used. Likewise the glass. You need to have this done inside, so the temperature is reasonable and allow for the proper cure time. Beyond that, I wouldn't have any concerns.

Adios,

Fusoguy
Old Jan 23, 2004, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by fusoguy
Unless you are doing a 100 point concours type restoration on a classic car, in my 30+ years in this business I'd have to say that I have never known of an aftermarket windshield affecting the value of a car. Get real. Yes, you are correct, with today's monococque chassis with glued in windshields, they are a stressed member of the body assembly. The adhesives used in the installation of a replacement windshield are every bit as good (in some cases the same) as the OEM ones used. Likewise the glass. You need to have this done inside, so the temperature is reasonable and allow for the proper cure time. Beyond that, I wouldn't have any concerns.

Adios,

Fusoguy
Safelite manufacture's their own glass, it is an aftermarket glass that is used... Safelite also uses a company called Sika which produces the urethane and primers in the installation. There are not any certified Sika technicians in Safelite because their methods of installation are not in the standards of Sika's regulations. I am a Sika certified technician and i have been in the glass business since i was 12 years old with my dad, uncle, and grandpa with an excess of 100 years... my dad has worked for Safelite as well as my uncle in the past. my only concerns is that when you get into a wreck, bring a camera so you can watch the windshield fly out of your car...
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Jadiem

Safelite manufacture's their own glass, it is an aftermarket glass that is used... Safelite also uses a company called Sika which produces the urethane and primers in the installation. There are not any certified Sika technicians in Safelite because their methods of installation are not in the standards of Sika's regulations. I am a Sika certified technician and i have been in the glass business since i was 12 years old with my dad, uncle, and grandpa with an excess of 100 years... my dad has worked for Safelite as well as my uncle in the past. my only concerns is that when you get into a wreck, bring a camera so you can watch the windshield fly out of your car...
Besides OE, do you know any company with comparable quality?
Old Jan 23, 2004, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

LOF or PPG, i visited the LOF plant in Lexington, KY (United Glass). their methods of inspection are very high and quality parts are uncompromised. they make 80% of Toyota's factory parts and 30% of Honda's parts at that plant. they do make lots of other factory parts for other makes and models, but Toyota and Honda is what they mainly manufacture. i would call up Harmon Glass in your area and ask them what they use. the last time i've been in a Harmon shop they did use LOF and PPG brands.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info.