Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I have a dust problem......

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a dust problem......

Ok everyone so Im having a problem with my IX, I live in the very very dusty south west. I have lots and lots of dirt roads to drive on ( kinda fun ). My problem is that when Im on these roads the car fills up with dust. Super fine dust that coats everything and everywhere. It appears to be coming from the passenger side underneath the seat. I checked all possible plugs and such and they are all tight and where they are supposed to be. I have no idea where else I should be looking. The truck also fills up with dust especially the little compartments left and right. I was thinking that maybe the little flap gates in the trunk are not sealing properly and that the dust is migrating through the car from the trunk? Not sure if it would go that way but who knows..... Any one have this problem? Anyone who might have any ideas? Let me know, Thanks in advance guys!!
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
push the recirculate button so the vents close and do not allow outside air in. Also, are you driving with the windows open? lol sorry had to ask.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Tried it, no change...... and nope windows are closed
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you have your fender liners in?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you checked/changed your in cabin filter?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

all Fender liners are installed and have changed the cabin filter multiple times............
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:02 PM

Any pics?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Wish I did, I just decided to start this thread after cleaning the F*** out of the car for 3 hours.....

I mean the stuff is everywhere, i was just vacuuming out the car a while ago and hit the B-post at the bottom and you can SEE the dust just come pouring out from behind the panel. I'm thinking I might just have to completely gut the car and look for places that are letting the dust in. its gonna be one HUGE PIA but I dont see much more of a choice at this point....
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

But if anyone read that article on Yahoo about the Enzo Ferrari that was left in an impound lot in Dubai, the car looks like that ( No BS ) on the inside.....

Edit: Not quite that bad, but thats what it looks like to me at least

Last edited by DaGermanEvo9; Apr 27, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
crazy...
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:05 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

It sounds like you need some pretty intense filtering, down to at least 1 micron, but from the sounds of it this dirt is like powder. All things considered, the only thing I would suggest is tearing apart your HVAC and checking for leaks in the ducting at all of the connection points. Aside from that, you'll be hard pressed to create a "hard seal" in the vehicle.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I might look into making me a filter to pop in the HVAC unit, I'll have to check it out. Use the frame of the Cabin filter and try and pop it some other filter..... Ah i guess im just SOL

but you're right abou the "Powder" Ramen thats exactly how it is...
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:18 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

You know, I would check at your local hardware stores and look for the high end 3M filters and start there. Most of those filter down to 1 micron on less, but even in a house they're only rated for 6 months or less. Taking into consideration how long it takes to change a cabin air filter, that doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
you cant be the only one in your area to hav this problem..
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah Im probably not the only one around here with this issue, to be honest most cars here look like straight *** anyway. I dont know if its the area or what not but people either give up on keeping their car clean or just dont care and just ride around with the car all jacked up. Im gonna try and see if I can figure something out with a High end filter.

What also just popped in my head is that maybe some of my door seals are just getting beat up out here, I really dont have many passengers in the car so the only seal that would be worn would be the drivers side. I dont have any wind noise when Im driving so I think I kind of answered my own question but it might be something to look into. Maybe I can tape off each door individually and see if I can isolate the problem to a certain door or at least area.

Thanks for all the info guys

Quick Reply: I have a dust problem......