Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sticky throttle at cold engine temps

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sticky throttle at cold engine temps

Anybody ever have this issue? Figured I'd ask before I dug too deep into it.

Throttle sticks during cold engine temperatures. Operates just fine as the engine reaches normal operating temp.

I'm suspecting the cable is binding somewhere, but I'm open to any of your experiences/suggestions.

TIA
Old May 10, 2012, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mines does this too. I've only owned it for two weeks but when I first start it it's a little sticky and it goes away once it warms up.
Old May 10, 2012, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my old evo was like that..i didnt go in tryin to fix because i usually just let the car warm up before driving it
Old May 10, 2012, 11:18 AM

I had that issue when I first got my car. Turned out to be worn out throttle body shaft seals. One side was completely shredded and once I replaced them the throttle stopped sticking when cold.

I suggest you replace them anyways, if you suspect you still have the original ones in there.

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...haft_seals.htm
Old May 10, 2012, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
mine did this as well; it was also very sensitive to light-throttle application, namely just the 0-some throttle. i couldn't hold the throttle at 1500rpm from idle, only ~2k because it just would stick before then and them jump when the valve finally released

carb cleaner plus lots of fingering the throttle body where the butterfly valve is helped a bit, but perhaps i should look into replacing the shaft seals as well.

i used a rag and a toothbrush to clean all around the valve as well as clean both sides of the valve as well as i could. i had a lot of carbon buildup there and this probably got rid of 50-60% of the stickiness. it is still a little sticky, but not anywhere near as bad as before
Old May 10, 2012, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scofflaw
I had that issue when I first got my car. Turned out to be worn out throttle body shaft seals. One side was completely shredded and once I replaced them the throttle stopped sticking when cold.

I suggest you replace them anyways, if you suspect you still have the original ones in there.

Thanks. Pretty basic install?

Originally Posted by llDemonll
mine did this as well; it was also very sensitive to light-throttle application, namely just the 0-some throttle. i couldn't hold the throttle at 1500rpm from idle, only ~2k because it just would stick before then and them jump when the valve finally released

carb cleaner plus lots of fingering the throttle body where the butterfly valve is helped a bit, but perhaps i should look into replacing the shaft seals as well.

i used a rag and a toothbrush to clean all around the valve as well as clean both sides of the valve as well as i could. i had a lot of carbon buildup there and this probably got rid of 50-60% of the stickiness. it is still a little sticky, but not anywhere near as bad as before
I'll start with cleaning and some lube. It sounds like it's fairly common, so I have my doubts that it will totally fix it and I'll end up ordering new seals.

I'll keep this thread posted for those interested...
Old May 10, 2012, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Scofflaw

This for sure.
Old May 10, 2012, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by cassidyb
Thanks. Pretty basic install?
Not a very complicated thing to do. It's good to replace them anyways, since they tend to cause boost leaks once they're worn.
Old May 10, 2012, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Had the same problem..changed Tb shaft seals replaced them with mil spec from stm and fixed the problem..its very easy to do.
Old May 10, 2012, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Had this issue, have the car off,take the charge pipe of the throttle body, have someone sit in the driver seat and put the throttle to the floor, spray throttle body cleaner inside and proceed to clean the throttle body, it's carbon buildup that makes its stick on cold start.
Old May 10, 2012, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

Could that also be the culprit of my rev surge sometimes when clutch is engaged? Especially after WOT driving.
Old May 11, 2012, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...when-cold.html
Old May 11, 2012, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by MrJuls
Could that also be the culprit of my rev surge sometimes when clutch is engaged? Especially after WOT driving.
I had this same problem. Took the throttle body apart and cleaned it and the cable really good with brake cleaner/lube. It got rid of a ton of carbon buildup which was cozied up in there, and made a huge difference.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Peanut1234
I had this same problem. Took the throttle body apart and cleaned it and the cable really good with brake cleaner/lube. It got rid of a ton of carbon buildup which was cozied up in there, and made a huge difference.
Yes i finally did this as well yesterday.A lot of carbon build up there and cleaned it out and it's sharp now.
Old May 20, 2012, 12:21 PM

Just ordered my seals hope it fixes my problem

Quick Reply: Sticky throttle at cold engine temps