Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Popping Noise From Engine Once I Put The Foot Down

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2012, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Popping Noise From Engine Once I Put The Foot Down

Hi,

Yesterday evening before I traveled home I started my Evo 8 (however when it started it started running rough like "tut tut tut" and then after a few seconds it cleared and idled properly if this has anything to do with the problem) to let it warm up for a few minutes. Then everything was fine.

Left where I was and headed home, I thought the car was driving fine as I was going slow enough through a town, but once I got a straight stretch outside the town when I put the foot down I could feel the turbo kick in but it started loosing pressure and started this loud "popping" noise from the engine and kind of jerking on account of this a tiny bit, so I pulled in as I knew there was something wrong, the car was running fine - no CELs, so I opened the hood to check that everything was okay and that there wasn't anything obvious wrong. Everything looked okay, with no pipes off that I could see.

I pulled off again and tried a 3rd gear pull but same started happening, again I tried and left my foot on accelerator everything was fine again untill the turbo kicked in.

I pulled in again and just turned the car off and on just to see if it would help, but no luck.

I continued driving home and just drove normally and avoided the high RPMs. As I was approaching a hill I had to change to 4th to get me up and noticed that the car seemed to pull normally, I waited for a straight stretch again and changed to 3rd and gave it a good pull through 3rd and 4th, IT PULLED PERFECT! No problems.

What is or could have been the problem does anyone know? Did something similar happen to anyone?

Thanks!
Old May 13, 2012, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anytime I have any sort of hesitation or bucking like that, first thing I check is my spark plugs... gap, connection and fouling on the tips.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 ^

Do you have a boost gauge? Hitting normal boost?
Old May 14, 2012, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few weeks back when I was logging and messing with the waste gate preload to up the boost a tad. I did a few pulls and it felt really good and wasn't getting any knock. Then did another and as soon as it started to pull hard and build boost it popped and felt like fuel cut so I immediatly let out of it and it did it again. So, I pulled back into the garage pulled the plugs and put a new gapped set in it and ran fine from then on out. Our cars are very picky on stock ignition with plugs and gap. So like the guy said above me check plugs and then if it still acts funny diagnose other obviuos issues such as boost leaks or vacuum lines off or leaking......

Last edited by gpfury86; May 14, 2012 at 05:24 AM.