Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

AMS vs. Buschur Motors

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2012, 09:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Personally I would take a look at EnglishRacing.net - They are more than helpful and have put together and tuned a TON of motors!

Thanks!

Michael
Old May 17, 2012, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do have to say, I love my English Racing built 2.0.

The engine runs great, doesn't consume oil and hauls ***. Not to mention, talking to Aaron will put your mind at ease He's a smart dude.

Aaron, Lucas and Myles are great guys to work with

If I had to do it all over again, I would still go with English Racing. (PS, I'm from the East Coast....just sayin')

-Bink
Old May 17, 2012, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Er ftw!!!!!
Old May 17, 2012, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
In reference to the 2.3's and RPM. Our 2.3RPM engine, which uses the 4g63 block has proven itself good for 9900+ rpm.
Old May 17, 2012, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Anarchy99
AMS continues to set the benchmark and Martin Musial is a mechanical engineer
My thoughts exactly but im a little biased because ams was 45in mins away growing up and ive watched them come from nothing. With that said both have paved the way for dsms and evos and both deserve nothing but the utmost respect from everyone. They both do some of the best work available and are in good hands either way you go.
Old May 17, 2012, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by David Buschur
Next time you go to McDonald's carry in your own hamburger, toppings and bun and ask them to make it for you
A great analogy, but the logic is flawed. You're not McDonalds, you're a race shop. You improve upon a product you didn't create as your core business. No one is buying a Whopper and then taking it to McDonalds to make it better, but thats exactly what we do for you. There are more shops that will assemble things (not R and D'ed by them) for other people than there aren't. It's not uncommon. It's how a lot of shops operate. I'm not arguing whether or not you should, thats up to you.

Implying that one would take Whopper ingredients to McDonalds to ask for a Whopper implies that the customer doesn't understand the model of the burger (or car) business, or what they want or are asking for. None of this is the case. Just be up front about why you use only your own products. There's nothing wrong with it. It's simply your philosophy and it's worked for you so far.

Last edited by boozeup&riot; May 17, 2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old May 17, 2012, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

AMS if I had it to do over again.
Old May 17, 2012, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Why would any company want to use customer purchased parts (used or not) instead of a tried and true combo that they have R and D'd to death.
Because many shops charge for wrench time, and don't have their own parts. It's really not all that stupid. Many shops also dont warranty parts that they didn't build or sell. That's the true tradeoff. Why would any company warranty work or parts they didn't build and sell you? That's what I think the question becomes. If Buschur doesn't want to bother with that, I don't blame them at all. It does more to hurt their reputation and cause headaches they don't need when they do.
Old May 17, 2012, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by David Buschur
In reference to the 2.3's and RPM. Our 2.3RPM engine, which uses the 4g63 block has proven itself good for 9900+ rpm.
For how long? What rev limit would you recommend a customer who does only road course? What rev limit would you recommend a customer for only 1/4 mile? 7800rpm seems to be the safe limit for 100mm strokers in 4g63 for road course purposes from what I have gathered from the motor sports section.

I am just going to go out on a limb and assume that you are not going to share the rotating assembly information.
Old May 17, 2012, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Pssst
Who is AMS, seriously?

http://blog.amsperformance.com/2012/...gt-r-alpha-12/

http://www.amsperformance.com/history.php

I love both companies, but AMS certainly has records, and so does Buschur racing
my reference in that is regarding to - who at AMS will actually build your motor?
Old May 17, 2012, 10:01 AM

Buschur is the best, period. If you want good work and good parts for a good price, go to Buschur. I'm going to have my car built there eventually. My favorite quote by him...

"This isn't come Chinese piece of ****." -David Buschur

Haha, love that guy.
Old May 17, 2012, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
AMS, Buschur and English Racing have all proven themselves and any one of them will likely leave you with a smile on your face. So let price and customer service be your guide.

When you are ready to buy call each, tell them your goals, then get down to the brass tax cost and timeframe. Also remember that finding the right shop to do the install/tune is just as important as the motor itself. See if they work with any shops in your area, maybe even getting a good price on the install costs as well.

Last edited by nemsin; May 17, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old May 17, 2012, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
I'd catch an attitude if a customer thought they knew how to fix a server and tried to tell me how to do my job.
Ctrl + Alt + Delete?

this thread stayed surpisingly civil (unless its been cleaned up). You're gunna be good with either shop. The fact that dave is still active in the community would mena a lot if i was deciding between the two. He's on this forum eveyrday, making posts about Evos on facebook everyday, and hosts an event each year for 4G63's.
Old May 17, 2012, 01:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by xRoguex
Beat me to it.

maybe he is more of a Burger king guy they will do it his way?
Old May 17, 2012, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AreSTG
Ctrl + Alt + Delete?

lol

Quick Reply: AMS vs. Buschur Motors