Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

AMS vs. Buschur Motors

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2012, 02:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kyoo
my reference in that is regarding to - who at AMS will actually build your motor?
The same engine builder that has been putting all of our engines together over the years, Tim Salefski.
Old May 17, 2012, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMS all day.

Ive seen a few bad motors come from buschur, yea they run, but had issues. Im not going to elaborate on this. I just dont care that much about it, we all know theres 3 sides to every story

Im just saying if it was MY motor, it wouldnt be a buschur
Old May 17, 2012, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nemsin
AMS, Buschur and English Racing have all proven themselves and any one of them will likely leave you with a smile on your face. So let price and customer service be your guide.

When you are ready to buy call each, tell them your goals, then get down to the brass tax cost and timeframe. Also remember that finding the right shop to do the install/tune is just as important as the motor itself. See if they work with any shops in your area, maybe even getting a good price on the install costs as well.
Agreed that all three shops are GREAT!!
I never even knew English Racing built motors until Michael from ETS mentioned them to me, which was already too late to even consider. They tunned me off too cause no mention of engine builds were on the website, they should seriously advertise!! After some research I found they build dirty motors and do dirty builds too! Aaron is a great solid guy to talk to and deal with (ordered other parts previously)

All in all, I went into my build dead set on a AMS 2.3 rr...Had many long conversations on what was needed, how the enigne would maintain, break in yada yada yada.. But then when talking about boost pressure on pump gas came up (94 octane over here) The 9.25:1 compression was what was reccomended and a max of 25 psi of boost!! That really bothered me! How could such an expensive, bomb built motor not hold high boost safely?? I realize pump is limiting but I wasnt expecting that So my build stunted for a good 8 months due to this delema

Even created a thread to try and get more information from those actually driving with ams 2.3rr's but found not many responses at all

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...questions.html

In all fairness to AMS I am sure they only want to tune to 25 psi tops on pump to cover themselves from possible issues with their 16k engine. And honestly Buschur is the only shop I came across capable and willing to safely tune a 10:1 compression engine to 30 psi or so on pump SAFELY (that sold me out right)

In the end I stumbled upon the Buschur 2.3rpm... Never heard of it, but the more I read about this engine, the more I realized this engine was the engine for me. I called Buschur and talked to Jarrod for a long time about this 2.3 rpm. Then some conversations on evom with Jarrod and David. I found myself sold and started ironing out the details. Major selling factor was that running 30 psi on pump would be no problem on their 10:1 compression engine!!!

The whole team at Buschur has been a great pleasure to deal with and I would highly reccommend them based off of the customer service they have provided for me!!

To answer your question Buschur is building a AMS type create motor deal for me.... compelte oil pan to valve cover, timed and all. Making for a easy bolt in affair

But in the end all make great products, great engines and produce great tunes!!
My advice is to call them all if you want, but I cant imagine a better place to go

Last edited by foxbear2277; May 17, 2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: spell check
Old May 17, 2012, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by David Buschur
In reference to the 2.3's and RPM. Our 2.3RPM engine, which uses the 4g63 block has proven itself good for 9900+ rpm.
Are you talking about a 'glory pull' or is that an RPM which you would feel safe with your customers regularly reaching (or close to) assuming proper maintenance?
Old May 17, 2012, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by nollij
For how long? What rev limit would you recommend a customer who does only road course? What rev limit would you recommend a customer for only 1/4 mile? 7800rpm seems to be the safe limit for 100mm strokers in 4g63 for road course purposes from what I have gathered from the motor sports section.

I am just going to go out on a limb and assume that you are not going to share the rotating assembly information.

Our standard 2.3 engine I recommend an 8500 rpm rev limit on and it's been proven to set fast track times all over the country in Time Attack events, that car was Dieter's. HE ran the engine, if I remember correctly, 3 years and then sold it to someone else who did the same thing with it.

You are correct, hell no I'm not sharing any info.
Old May 17, 2012, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boltz.
Are you talking about a 'glory pull' or is that an RPM which you would feel safe with your customers regularly reaching (or close to) assuming proper maintenance?
I guess only time will tell........sometimes regardless of what I say it doesn't matter. My engine has seen those RPM's I'd say 20 times now, zero issues. Most people have NO need to go over 8000 rpm let alone 9,000 rpm. I look at HP curves on this site and sit and laugh to myself. People posting sheets on cars that can't make power past 7000 rpm, some of them contact me and ask about an engine that will rev to 10,000, wtf for? haha. You need enough RPM to cross the finish line in 4th gear and better hope the combo of crap you have bought is still making power when that happens.
Old May 17, 2012, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by foxbear2277
Agreed that all three shops are GREAT!!
I never even knew English Racing built motors until Michael from ETS mentioned them to me, which was already too late to even consider. They tunned me off too cause no mention of engine builds were on the website, they should seriously advertise!! After some research I found they build dirty motors and do dirty builds too! Aaron is a great solid guy to talk to and deal with (ordered other parts previously)

All in all, I went into my build dead set on a AMS 2.3 rr...Had many long conversations on what was needed, how the enigne would maintain, break in yada yada yada.. But then when talking about boost pressure on pump gas came up (94 octane over here) The 9.25:1 compression was what was reccomended and a max of 25 psi of boost!! That really bothered me! How could such an expensive, bomb built motor not hold high boost safely?? I realize pump is limiting but I wasnt expecting that So my build stunted for a good 8 months due to this delema

Even created a thread to try and get more information from those actually driving with ams 2.3rr's but found not many responses at all

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...questions.html

In all fairness to AMS I am sure they only want to tune to 25 psi tops on pump to cover themselves from possible issues with their 16k engine. And honestly Buschur is the only shop I came across capable and willing to safely tune a 10:1 compression engine to 30 psi or so on pump SAFELY (that sold me out right)

In the end I stumbled upon the Buschur 2.3rpm... Never heard of it, but the more I read about this engine, the more I realized this engine was the engine for me. I called Buschur and talked to Jarrod for a long time about this 2.3 rpm. Then some conversations on evom with Jarrod and David. I found myself sold and started ironing out the details. Major selling factor was that running 30 psi on pump would be no problem on their 10:1 compression engine!!!

The whole team at Buschur has been a great pleasure to deal with and I would highly reccommend them based off of the customer service they have provided for me!!

To answer your question Buschur is building a AMS type create motor deal for me.... compelte oil pan to valve cover, timed and all. Making for a easy bolt in affair

But in the end all make great products, great engines and produce great tunes!!
My advice is to call them all if you want, but I cant imagine a better place to go
Thank you and so you know I have a new 2.3RPM build on the dyno currently that I've seen 37 psi on 93 octane with.
Old May 17, 2012, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Andrew@AMS
The same engine builder that has been putting all of our engines together over the years, Tim Salefski.
Before working with you guys at AMS didnt Tim work for Sound Performance building all the 2Jz supra motors ?
Old May 17, 2012, 09:38 PM

I don't really like Buschur just the way he carries himself about certain situations, but that don't change that he builds some crazy motors and does back his work. Obviously the knowledge is there and experience. I would still go with Buschur for a motor build.

AMS went to GTR because that's where the money is. Yeah, they will still mess with Evo's and all but money is in the GTR business.
Old May 17, 2012, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay, so I am now very excited and interested in purchasing a Bushur Built Shortblock (2.3L) seeing as how "midnight's" mission statement is street domination.

I have a list of cool mods that I would like to get, just as we all do I'm sure. I am on a budget but that increases every year. So if I say..... buy this shortblock can I just swap out the old OEM block or do I have to buy a bunch more stuff?

Basically what do I need to make this happen?
Old May 18, 2012, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
I'd catch an attitude if a customer thought they knew how to fix a server and tried to tell me how to do my job.
Power cycle fixes all, I'm just saying!
Old May 18, 2012, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Quiet. Next thing you know you will give away all the secrets like Google fixes all.
Old May 18, 2012, 06:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by domestickillaAR
Before working with you guys at AMS didnt Tim work for Sound Performance building all the 2Jz supra motors ?
Tim was here from the beginning working as a technician and engine builder. He is now the shop manager and engine builder.

It was Ivan who worked for Sound Performance as a technician before coming here. Ivan now builds and drives the fastest R35 GTRs in the world
Old May 18, 2012, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

You can't go wrong with either shop, after all is just preference.
Old May 18, 2012, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by superkizuna
So if I say..... buy this shortblock can I just swap out the old OEM block or do I have to buy a bunch more stuff?

Basically what do I need to make this happen?
I am in that boat now, and I am buying/bought everything new. All the way down to the bolts. You need about $3k if you want to do it right The list grows quickly.

Quick Reply: AMS vs. Buschur Motors