Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

AMS vs. Buschur Motors

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2012, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS vs. Buschur Motors

AMS sells a couple of versions of their crate motors from the oil pan to the valve cover and Buschur doesnt seem to do this per their website just the short block and the head seperate.

My question is this.... If you bought everything from Buschur to put the entire long block together so that it would be essentially equivalent to what AMS sells (besides specs) which motor would be a better bet to buy and why?

Also, I do know that AMS doesnt require cores which is why they are super $$$$ so lets leave that out of the conversation...

Oh, and I am asking this because it seems to me while perusing Evom that not too many people run AMS' crate motors and there are a ton of Buschur motors...
Old May 16, 2012, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

I have also wondered the same thing from time to time. Like is the AMS 2.3rr better than the Buschur 2.3rpm or vice versa and what makes it better?
Old May 16, 2012, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
one thing to consider, which i recently have been thinking about is this: who is ams?? because buschur is david buschur, and he goes through each of his engines himself
Old May 16, 2012, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

And buschur backs their products 100% and if the engine fails he will find out why and most likely fix it.
Old May 16, 2012, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by umopp
I have also wondered the same thing from time to time. Like is the AMS 2.3rr better than the Buschur 2.3rpm or vice versa and what makes it better?

The AMS 2.3rr is a destroked 4g64 (96.5mm stroke I believe) and the BR 2.3rpm is a stroked 4g63 (100mm stoke) so the AMS 2.3rr has a significant advantage.

The overall effectiveness of a motor will come down to price and what you are using it for.

Keep in mind also, that all serious high horsepower track cars use the 4g64 block and around 94mm stroke (except the AMS at 96.5mm).

Last edited by nollij; May 16, 2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old May 16, 2012, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kyoo
one thing to consider, which i recently have been thinking about is this: who is ams?? because buschur is david buschur, and he goes through each of his engines himself
Who is AMS, seriously?

http://blog.amsperformance.com/2012/...gt-r-alpha-12/

http://www.amsperformance.com/history.php

I love both companies, but AMS certainly has records, and so does Buschur racing
Old May 16, 2012, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i can see this thread getting closed, ibtl.

AMS and Buschur have a differdnt philisophy in what they do. Both are great companies. AMS does alot of road racing and rally as well. I think mr. Buschur really likes to focus on 1/4 mile. Well thats my persective on it anyhow.

obvious differences could be your deciding factor if you want a buschur or ams engine-- for example, if you want a 4g64 based 2.3 or a 4g63 2.3. Either 2.3 is badass imo.
Old May 16, 2012, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

I know AMS is leaning more toward the GTRs now over the Evos. But Buschur started with the 4G63 and doesnt look like they will be moving away from them! I like both companies and have bought parts from both of them. But if I were to get a engine done I would lean toward Buschur!
Old May 16, 2012, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any of the two companies you choose will build you a stout motor. I'd still choose Buschur just because he's more of a direct redneck type of freelance guy, likes to throw out some bones in to a dogfight and he builds every single engine by himself. I like a guy with an attitude who will stand up for his product. Imagine it as Buschur racing being a family race workshop while AMS is more of a "pro company executive style company".

But in terms of power delivery and reliability I'm pretty sure to safe any of the two is a safe bet, with DB probably being a bit cheaper.
Old May 16, 2012, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

I would go with AMS.
Old May 16, 2012, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NewEvolutionIX
I know AMS is leaning more toward the GTRs now over the Evos. But Buschur started with the 4G63 and doesnt look like they will be moving away from them! I like both companies and have bought parts from both of them. But if I were to get a engine done I would lean toward Buschur!

buschur will talk to you if you own an evo. if you own a DSM or any other 4g63 powered car dont even bother. I called wanting info on getting a long block built by david if i sent him my head/block and everything to go in it. i was basically told to **** off..everything i told them i had to go into my motor i was told was junk and he basically wanted me to rebuy everything from him in order for him to touch my motor. everything i have mind you is top of the line best stuff money can buy for these motors. Lets just say i took my money and business elsewhere and im VERY happy with the help and customer service im getting from the shop im dealing with now.

if i had to choose out of the 2 shops you questioned id goto AMS...granted they are pricey but i think you get what you pay for. if you want them to build you a purpose built car they will do it. most people build these cars wanting amazing performance but not put the best quality parts in it i just never understood that.
Old May 16, 2012, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
EVERY Buschur motor STM has assembled/tuned performs flawlessly. I'm talking 6262/6766/3582/Red's running 35+ psi fresh out of the box and they don't break a sweat, and they just keep on going. Which is exactly why I chose the BR2.0LR, proof is in the pudding.

With that being said, AMS also is very reputable for building a badass combo, just with the heavier price tag,be it because of other processes, parts or new core charge etc, your still spending more. They have gone fast also, and people see great results with their motors either way.

I feel like Buschur's heart is still in the Evo game whereas AMS still touches them but they are obviously deep in the GTR game, and if it was me I would spend it where I knew that was someones main focus.
Old May 16, 2012, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by domestickillaAR
buschur will talk to you if you own an evo. if you own a DSM or any other 4g63 powered car dont even bother. I called wanting info on getting a long block built by david if i sent him my head/block and everything to go in it. i was basically told to **** off..everything i told them i had to go into my motor i was told was junk and he basically wanted me to rebuy everything from him in order for him to touch my motor. everything i have mind you is top of the line best stuff money can buy for these motors. Lets just say i took my money and business elsewhere and im VERY happy with the help and customer service im getting from the shop im dealing with now.

if i had to choose out of the 2 shops you questioned id goto AMS...granted they are pricey but i think you get what you pay for. if you want them to build you a purpose built car they will do it. most people build these cars wanting amazing performance but not put the best quality parts in it i just never understood that.

Buschur will build what they want to build because they can do that, and what they build works. Having a customer source their own parts etc to be built to a spec someone has created that works with what they have tested is asking for trouble. He has no idea where the parts have been, what theyve been through etc. And chances are, if its out there, its been tested to see what its worth. They sell engines with their parts, they do not assemble customers parts. Think about it from a business aspect. Burger King is not selling you a whopper with the big mac meat you brought with you. But some companies will do that and that's fine too, because in some cases everything works out fine. Some people would rather not chance that.
Old May 16, 2012, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by domestickillaAR

Next time you go to McDonald's carry in your own hamburger, toppings and bun and ask them to make it for you
Old May 16, 2012, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Subscribed

Quick Reply: AMS vs. Buschur Motors