Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EGR remove or no?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2012, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 03evo8racer
Definitely could be the reason why. We did a boost leak on my car yesterday and one of those hoses was not connected to anything. Car was all sluggish and felt like it had no power Connected it and the car feels much better even with my throttle body seals leaking.
Ok so i just cheacked the hoses that goes to the egr and they seem to be connected but no clamps or zipties. Im out of ideas now.
Old May 20, 2012, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe the EGR valve is going bad then since you are throwing a cell. I never noticed if I threw one or not because my lights on all the time any ways. I can't comment on pro's and cons of removing it or keeping it because i have never deleted it before. Good luck and hopefully you get it up and running strong quickly!

Have you boost leak tested your car? A major boost leak could make your car feel slow and act weird too
Old May 20, 2012, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Ripped mine out during my engine build. Maybe slightly worse gas mileage, but that's all
Old May 20, 2012, 03:57 PM

I have had mines out for sometime now. I dont think i have lost mileage. Or can notice it. Starts fine also.
Old May 21, 2012, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

about how long is the process of removing the egr system ive had my vacuum hoses blow off and its annoying clearing the codes but i have it zip-tied on now.
Old May 21, 2012, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

It takes about 30 minutes to do it. A diagram of the system helps a lot with locating the bolts you need to remove. There's a how to thread on here that will help
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

to bring the dead back to life:

you guys are right-
The EGR actually does a service to the motor at cruise and Idle.... the literal negative effects of egr removal are hotter than normal running temperatures at cruise and idle- that's the damage(if noticed)if you sit in traffic alot, this could be bad for you. If you spend alot of time on lengthy highway journeys or sitting in downtown, or traffic every day- this would be a no-go in my book. However, if you zip from place to place, plan your trips, do none of the aforementioned, or race the car, go for it.. I don't see this as an issue running E85 or a higher octane race fuel- if you plan to sit in traffic lol.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:37 AM

same mpg here
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I think i may do mine this weekend. i have the block off plate. i just need to find the link to take it out and the evap. as well
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Does removing the egr set off the cel ? Will it pass emmisions without the egr?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chad99evo
to bring the dead back to life:

you guys are right-
The EGR actually does a service to the motor at cruise and Idle.... the literal negative effects of egr removal are hotter than normal running temperatures at cruise and idle- that's the damage(if noticed)if you sit in traffic alot, this could be bad for you. If you spend alot of time on lengthy highway journeys or sitting in downtown, or traffic every day- this would be a no-go in my book. However, if you zip from place to place, plan your trips, do none of the aforementioned, or race the car, go for it.. I don't see this as an issue running E85 or a higher octane race fuel- if you plan to sit in traffic lol.
nope. this is all wrong. EGR's are an environmental/emissions addition. It has no positive effects on performance. It has the OPPOSITE effect. The point of the EGR is to recirculate a portion of the exhaust gases back into the engine to keep any unburned fuel/combustable pollutants from being sent out the tail pipe. They recirculate, and get burned in the engine. Intake air temps WILL drop with the removal of the EGR. They have to if you are removing hot gases from the cold intake charge.

Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
Does removing the egr set off the cel ? Will it pass emmisions without the egr?
removing the EGR eliminates the CEL you get from the EGR hoses popping off. It might pass emissions without the EGR. The EGR is more for higher flow than idle.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

You guys are funny, DSM'ers have been happily deleting the EGR valve for 20 years now. Its purely for emissions, although some people report a few less MPG's.
I have deleted the EGR valve off every DSM (6 to date) and my evo with no problems, just a cleaner engine bay and less chance for boost leaks

Last edited by rich3389; Feb 17, 2013 at 01:54 PM. Reason: grammer
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
nope. this is all wrong. EGR's are an environmental/emissions addition. It has no positive effects on performance. It has the OPPOSITE effect. The point of the EGR is to recirculate a portion of the exhaust gases back into the engine to keep any unburned fuel/combustable pollutants from being sent out the tail pipe. They recirculate, and get burned in the engine. Intake air temps WILL drop with the removal of the EGR. They have to if you are removing hot gases from the cold intake charge.

removing the EGR eliminates the CEL you get from the EGR hoses popping off. It might pass emissions without the EGR. The EGR is more for higher flow than idle.
There's no electrical connector on the Evo's EGR valves? So no check engine light comes on when the EGR system is removed?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:54 PM

I just have mine turned off in the ECU, that way they still see it, it's just not working.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AJCaron12
There's no electrical connector on the Evo's EGR valves? So no check engine light comes on when the EGR system is removed?
there are electrical connections, but you fix that with the tune.

Quick Reply: EGR remove or no?