Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EGR remove or no?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Thanks to this thread I reached back there, noticed a popped off hose from the EGR valve, and found what is likely the reason behind my knock CEL going off.

Ziptied it for now, but I'm going to annihilate that thing, I'm going to crucify it. It's been 6 months of torture since that boost leak test, this useless piece of crap has just been dangling around, silently taunting me.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ODUB
nope. this is all wrong. EGR's are an environmental/emissions addition. It has no positive effects on performance. It has the OPPOSITE effect. The point of the EGR is to recirculate a portion of the exhaust gases back into the engine to keep any unburned fuel/combustable pollutants from being sent out the tail pipe. They recirculate, and get burned in the engine. Intake air temps WILL drop with the removal of the EGR. They have to if you are removing hot gases from the cold intake charge.

removing the EGR eliminates the CEL you get from the EGR hoses popping off. It might pass emissions without the EGR. The EGR is more for higher flow than idle.
Thank you! My face was starting to hurt from all the face palming from the misinformation in this thread. EGR is purely for emissions. It recirculates exhaust gases to lower combustion temps and reduce NOx emissions. At combustion temps over 1600 you start to produce NOx emission and the EPA decided that was bad. That's it. You won't lose MPG's from taking it out or have trouble cold starting. You will gain a little hp from removing it just from the fact that you don't have spent exhaust gases taking up space in your combustion chamber anymore.

In short, you don't need EGR if you dont have emission in your area and if you use a stock exhaust you will still most likely pass emissions without your EGR. People have been ripping them out ever since they started putting them in cars in the 90's.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Can't you just Fix it with ecu flash