Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

virtual dyno tip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cursedsm
Vd also does mustang dyno #s just in case you didn't know.

Yes, but 99% of VD users use the dynojet settings for the bigger horsepower numbers.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig King
Yes, but 99% of VD users use the dynojet settings for the bigger horsepower numbers.
You would if you want closer to real dyno #s. But I agree
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
Just to be clear here, you are saying that the tirerack measurement (probably given by the manufacturer) is different than what measurement?
A) none mounted tire diameter
b) mounted tire with X psi of pressure on Y amount of vehicle weight?

There are many tire diameter measurements which will change, for instance a SLR, static load radius and DLR, dynamic load radius. Depending on how much your vehicle weighs, how much tire pressure you are using and what speed you are driving your tire diameter will change. For instance, tire diameter at 30mph is certainly different than 75mph.... how accurate are you trying to figure?
what I am saying is the tire size printed on tire doesnt tell you what the diameter of tire is. it tells you what it 'should' be. tire manufactures make more money selling you a tire that is smaller in diameter than it should be, less rubber = more money.

the revs per mile (rpm)data will give you true diameter. but you will have to calculate yourself. or you could measure yourself how far tire rolls (40psi no flex) in one rotation then divide by 3.1416. this is best because its also calculating for tire wear.

currently tires are when new about 3/4 inch shorter than the tire size says they should be.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Ill have to measure mine. I changed my tire diameter by .5 just for curiosity and it changes my hp by about 30hp.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
what I am saying is the tire size printed on tire doesnt tell you what the diameter of tire is. it tells you what it 'should' be. tire manufactures make more money selling you a tire that is smaller in diameter than it should be, less rubber = more money.

the revs per mile (rpm)data will give you true diameter. but you will have to calculate yourself. or you could measure yourself how far tire rolls (40psi no flex) in one rotation then divide by 3.1416. this is best because its also calculating for tire wear.

currently tires are when new about 3/4 inch shorter than the tire size says they should be.
..... ok 0.75" smaller than posted, that's close enough for me to use
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
Ill have to measure mine. I changed my tire diameter by .5 just for curiosity and it changes my hp by about 30hp.
thats a big WOW for me.

thats serious HP change for such small diameter change.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When we did the VD for my car the best run was 421/370 on my Evo IX on E85 with basic bolt ons. This was using the stock 25.33 tire diameter. I realized after that my tires are 245/40/17 which makes the diameter 24.71 and the tires only have about 1,300 miles on them. How much do you think this would affect my numbers? just curious
Old Sep 14, 2013, 05:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
When I did my VD logs I always marked the tire where it touched the ground and the ground at that point then pushed the car foward one full wheel rotation and mesured the distance along the ground to work out the tire diameter setting. My question is, at 7500rpm in 3rd (or at that speed) what's the circumference of your tyre, taking into account centrifugal force. As stated, the smallest difference in diameter makes a big difference in power output.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fireescape
When I did my VD logs I always marked the tire where it touched the ground and the ground at that point then pushed the car foward one full wheel rotation and mesured the distance along the ground to work out the tire diameter setting. My question is, at 7500rpm in 3rd (or at that speed) what's the circumference of your tyre, taking into account centrifugal force. As stated, the smallest difference in diameter makes a big difference in power output.
How much though in my case?
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by steveyrich
Very good post. I'm going to measure mine tonight.
Haven't measured mine since i was a young lad...
Old Sep 14, 2013, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrm95
How much though in my case?
OK I adjusted one of my runs by dropping the weight of my car until I got to 421hp with a 25.33" tire. I then adjusted the tire size to 24.71", this gave me exactly 400hp. Tire size makes a big difference in VD. You would, in my mind, get at least 10hp back due to centrifugal tire expansion at speed (assuming your tires will expand back out to 25" diameter). So I'd say your putting out about 410hp.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 01:14 AM
Evolving Member

OK I adjusted one of my runs by dropping the weight of my car until I got to 421hp with a 25.33" tire. I then adjusted the tire size to 24.71", this gave me exactly 400hp. Tire size makes a big difference in VD. You would, in my mind, get at least 10hp back due to centrifugal tire expansion at speed (assuming your tires will expand back out to 25" diameter). So I'd say your putting out about 410hp.
Yeah I had several runs all ranging from 404whp-411whp so I think its safe to say im around the 400 mark.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

street tires do not balloon at all. if they did they would wear out in the center. roll per mile data is accurate for all speeds.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
street tires do not balloon at all. if they did they would wear out in the center. roll per mile data is accurate for all speeds.
Not sure if your logic holds true. The whole tyre is spinning so the whole tread is still contacting the ground just the static sidewall sag is removed. If you look at your tyre when your car is parked their is a certain degree of crush at the base. My theory, and it's only that, is that an amount of this crush is pulled out of the tyre when it spins and even if this is only a small amount it would only have to be to make a difference to VD's accuracy.

I guess one way to see if my theory holds true is to watch a car carefully on an actually dyno to see if there is any movement in the sidewall at wot. If not then I'm happy to have my theory proven wrong.

Last edited by Fireescape; Sep 16, 2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Ive heard that if your tire diameter is slightly smaller (.5 or less) then what is used on the VD it wont make but a 5 to max. 10 hp change if that.

Quick Reply: virtual dyno tip