Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

virtual dyno tip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2013, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
static sidewall sag is removed
that sag you see is from weight of the car. the weight of the car does not change at speed. so the sag you see when car is not moving is same sag you will see at 100mph.

Ive heard that if your tire diameter is slightly smaller (.5 or less) then what is used on the VD it wont make but a 5 to max. 10 hp change if that.
actually you havent read the this thread. that .5 is showing 20-30whp change. pretty significant.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
that sag you see is from weight of the car. the weight of the car does not change at speed. so the sag you see when car is not moving is same sag you will see at 100mph.

actually you havent read the this thread. that .5 is showing 20-30whp change. pretty significant.
Hey
Yeah I understand what causes the sag in the tyre but I'm suggesting that this sag will be pulled out of the tyre, to some degree, by the centrifugal force of the rotating tyre at speed. To say that a tyre rotating at xxxx rpm as the car travels at 100mph is not effected by this is incorrect. The question is by how much and by how much this effect has on the accuracy of VD. Even the difference in air pressure in your tyre will have an effect. Lower your tyre pressure to 20psi and do the rotation measurement I mentioned early then pump it up to 35psi and repeat. I'd suggest there will be a difference in circumference.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fireescape
Hey
Yeah I understand what causes the sag in the tyre but I'm suggesting that this sag will be pulled out of the tyre, to some degree, by the centrifugal force of the rotating tyre at speed. To say that a tyre rotating at xxxx rpm as the car travels at 100mph is not effected by this is incorrect. The question is by how much and by how much this effect has on the accuracy of VD. Even the difference in air pressure in your tyre will have an effect. Lower your tyre pressure to 20psi and do the rotation measurement I mentioned early then pump it up to 35psi and repeat. I'd suggest there will be a difference in circumference.
Tires that dont have steel other suitable reinforcements do expand and can become bigger like you suggest. drag tires, RC tires etc. street tires simply dont. When you see the RPM data from tire manufactures do you see a * ? (* tested at xx MPH and xx air pressure) no you dont. because MPH doesnt change the rolling distance, and air pressure is assumed to be inflated correctly.

the sag in a radial tire does not get centrifugally straightened to any degree. and even if it did it still would not change the rolling diameter of the tread. tread rolls same distance inflated 20psi or 40psi. something you can prove in your own driveway. something I have already done.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well some other factor is playing into that then. up to a 30wp loss is ridiculous. I mainly hear 5-10whp
Old Sep 21, 2013, 01:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrm95
Well some other factor is playing into that then. up to a 30wp loss is ridiculous. I mainly hear 5-10whp
doesnt seem you read the posts in here then. the VD does not use an accelerometer like g-tech. with g-tech you only need to enter weight being accelerated. with VD you need to enter correct gear ratios so it can calculate an accurate speed over time. if you dont enter correct tire size the mph will be off. 1/2 tire diameter throws the calculation off pretty dang much. thats why I took the time to make this thread. the VD numbers are only as good as the numbers being entered into it. with some people entering correct tire sizes and others entering incorrect sizes it makes comparing hp numbers inaccurate. kinda like comparing dynojet numbers to mustang numbers. useless if you ask me. they never read the same. now we have VD numbers that are useless to compare as well.

I got to 421hp with a 25.33" tire. I then adjusted the tire size to 24.71", this gave me exactly 400hp. Tire size makes a big difference in VD.
I changed my tire diameter by .5 just for curiosity and it changes my hp by about 30hp
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am going to do this tomorrow and see how it affects my power readings.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
the sag in a radial tire does not get centrifugally straightened to any degree. and even if it did it still would not change the rolling diameter of the tread. tread rolls same distance inflated 20psi or 40psi. something you can prove in your own driveway. something I have already done.
Centrifugal growth
A tire rotating at higher speeds tends to develop a larger diameter, due to centrifugal forces that force the tread rubber away from the axis of rotation. This may cause speedometer error. As the tire diameter grows, the tire width decreases. This centrifugal growth can cause rubbing of the tire against the vehicle at high speeds. Motorcycle tires are often designed with reinforcements aimed at minimizing centrifugal growth.

Straight from Wikipedia.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 07:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Fireescape
Centrifugal growth
A tire rotating at higher speeds tends to develop a larger diameter, due to centrifugal forces that force the tread rubber away from the axis of rotation. This may cause speedometer error. As the tire diameter grows, the tire width decreases. This centrifugal growth can cause rubbing of the tire against the vehicle at high speeds. Motorcycle tires are often designed with reinforcements aimed at minimizing centrifugal growth.

Straight from Wikipedia.
jerry understands what you are talking about, and i'm pretty sure that quoting wikipedia isn't going to change his opinion. the centripetal force can actually be quite large at 85 mph (top of third gear) - a 1/16th pie section of a 25" diameter tire weighing 25 lbs generates somewhere around 800 lbs of force, but this is a very simplistic calculation, and i think that tire construction limits the sidewall shape change as jerry said. if i had to bet, i'd say that the sidewall above the contact patch on a 235/45 tire increases in height by ~1/8" at 85 mph.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
doesnt seem you read the posts in here then. the VD does not use an accelerometer like g-tech. with g-tech you only need to enter weight being accelerated. with VD you need to enter correct gear ratios so it can calculate an accurate speed over time. if you dont enter correct tire size the mph will be off. 1/2 tire diameter throws the calculation off pretty dang much. thats why I took the time to make this thread. the VD numbers are only as good as the numbers being entered into it. with some people entering correct tire sizes and others entering incorrect sizes it makes comparing hp numbers inaccurate. kinda like comparing dynojet numbers to mustang numbers. useless if you ask me. they never read the same. now we have VD numbers that are useless to compare as well.
Apparantly you didn't read your own thread. If you didn't realize, both of those were in response to something I posted. Read your thread man