Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo fail....

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2012, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOWRC111
It made 405whp on 91. It felt great for 2 weeks ...

holy crap dude.. that's insane! no wonder you blew the motor...

good luck with the rebuild.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Got to love when someone overheats their motor and then thinks that adding new lifters to the car is magically going to bring it back to life
Old May 24, 2012, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont believe in luck but if I did, I would be the unluckiest guy on earth when it comes to modding my own cars. I have built so many engines for Subie friends and more and they are still working today, but every engine I built for myself doesnt last longer that a few months. I blew 2 Cosworth modded engines in my 06 STI and just ended up getting rid of it. I then moved on to my Evo 9. Oh yeah, bullet proof bottom end they say, 10 times stronger they say, but guess what..... 1 day at the track and BOOM...... Mod list is:

FP Black (ball bearing)
Kelford 272 cams
Beehive valve springs w/titanium ret
ARP head studs
1000cc Injectors
Walbro 255lph pump
Full HKS cat less exhaust
Megan O2 housing
Grimspeed 3 port
Custom intake
4 bar Omni sensor
ACT flywheel
ACT 6 puck clutch
AMS upper and lower clutch lines
Clutch slave cylinder pill removal
Upper and Lower AMS I.C. pipes
Large front mount intercooler
and a clutch fork stop

It made 405whp on 91. It felt great for 2 weeks then I was old about open test day at Button Willow. Knowing that my Evo was "so strong" I jumped to the idea. The first 9 laps were great, I even drifted a few times with my less than sticky street tires. Then a coupler from my upper intercooler got a hole in it. It took a while to find that it had a hole in it but we found it. Spent about 45min fixing it since I had to check shops for couplers. Well we got it back together and tightened it up. We headed out for 3 fast laps. It felt great but at the end of the 3rd lap I noticed that it felt like it was holding back so I headed to the pits. rolling in at 35mph it suddenly died. I cranked it over but it wouldnt start. We waited for it to cool but noticed that the clamp from the coupler somehow moved in front of the rad fan. The fan couldnt spin at all. I put the key back in and sure enough the temp was almost to the H. My heart sank. After it cooled I started it up and it was ticking really bad. I towed it home and ordered the zero tick lifters. 2 days later they arrived and were installed. No help at all, I started it and got underneath to hear it even louder in the oil pan. F'n figures. Now I get to buy a new engine and hope that they dont fail like my Cosworth STI engines from Out Front Motorsport did. Sorry for the long story but I'm *****in. Now do I go with a Buschur stage 3 or a MAP short block? FML.....
Damn, man. I have no advice to give you that you haven't heard already. Sorry to hear about your trouble though. Good luck, sir!
Old May 24, 2012, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Anarchy99
Got to love when someone overheats their motor and then thinks that adding new lifters to the car is magically going to bring it back to life

lol..

That sucks bro!
Old May 24, 2012, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

so did you go 2.0 or 2.3?
Old May 25, 2012, 12:52 AM
Evolving Member

sorry to hear about your run with poor luck. GL with the build, keep us updated.
Old May 25, 2012, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOMIZ
so did you go 2.0 or 2.3?
I went with a 2.0 from MAP. It's being built with 9.3:1 weisco pistons, Manley H-beam rods, ACL bearings, ARP main bolts, and the balance shaft removal. And I sent my trans to Jacks transmission to be upgraded as well. I hope this will solve the weakness in my setup. Is the FP Black not suited for circuit track use? A friend stated that it's more from drag use. I have the dual ball bearing and figured it was good. Idk
Old May 25, 2012, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

I believe people recommend the green for circuit track and autocross
Old May 25, 2012, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chrisw
holy crap dude.. that's insane! no wonder you blew the motor...

good luck with the rebuild.
405whp is not bad for an evo on 91 in CA. There are evo's running 600whp on stock bottom ends with bigger turbos than my FP Black. The key is not to overheat it while running WOT.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

405whp is not bad for an evo on 91 in CA. There are evo's running 600whp on stock bottom ends with bigger turbos than my FP Black. The key is not to overheat it while running WOT.

what ever dude... you are running your engine on such a ragged edge that I am amazed that it lasted 2 weeks.

Sure you can do it, and I have no doubt about the 600whp stock bottom ends. But just don't expect any longevity out of that build.
Old May 25, 2012, 04:11 PM

Buscher FTW
Old May 25, 2012, 07:13 PM

My opinion, buschur, dont know any other name as intimidating as buschur racing. Buschur Power!!!
Old May 26, 2012, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you are going to road race you need a road race tune, not the one you run on the street because you won't see the same temperature or abuse.
Old May 26, 2012, 07:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
I have some questions about what happened.
1) What was the final cause of the ticking?
2) Who tuned the car for 91?
3) Why didn't you look further into the ticking being all 4g motors tick unless its a rod knock?
4) Was there an upgraded oil cooler?

I am just curious about what actually happened. I understand being my car was road raced for years before I bought it, but what exactly happened to make you think its a motor failure.

Last edited by CurseDSM; May 26, 2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old May 26, 2012, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Road race tune is critical.

Quick Reply: Evo fail....