Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo fail....

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 09:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
Wow thats just odd.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cursedsm
Wow thats just odd.
After opening it up I suspected a bad injector but then I noticed that #2 cyl was looking the same on one side of the skirt. When overheated I can also understand that the piston is going to expand but wow. I'm lost.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:37 PM
EvoM Guru

When I saw the piston skirt and how bad it looked the first thing I thought of was the squirters. If it was an injector thing I'm sure it would have put a window in the block. Another thing I could think of is if this block had been rebuilt the pistons and the cylinder walls weren't machined correctly and not enough room for expansion. It is highly unlikely but I had that happen with a motor of mine. Sent it to a buddy to have it "worked on" and he ended up not doing things correctly and ended up ****in everything up.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOWRC111
After opening it up I suspected a bad injector but then I noticed that #2 cyl was looking the same on one side of the skirt. When overheated I can also understand that the piston is going to expand but wow. I'm lost.
If the car is not tuned right you can create problems with the mixture. The ECU has a "lean spool" feature that leans out the mixture to build boost faster. Basically it works by leaning out the mixture by about 1 point. Most tuners disable this feature because with out it, you get more accurate AFR measurements that match the tables in the fuel tables. If by chance it was left on, then your tune was going to fail sooner or later unless you tune that feature to current power levels. Otherwise the ecu will happily melt pistons as it leans the mixture to dangerous levels while at high boost.
Old May 30, 2012, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chrisw
If the car is not tuned right you can create problems with the mixture. The ECU has a "lean spool" feature that leans out the mixture to build boost faster. Basically it works by leaning out the mixture by about 1 point. Most tuners disable this feature because with out it, you get more accurate AFR measurements that match the tables in the fuel tables. If by chance it was left on, then your tune was going to fail sooner or later unless you tune that feature to current power levels. Otherwise the ecu will happily melt pistons as it leans the mixture to dangerous levels while at high boost.

I have Evoscan, but how do I check for "leanspool" and or whether its on or off?
Old May 30, 2012, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
When I saw the piston skirt and how bad it looked the first thing I thought of was the squirters. If it was an injector thing I'm sure it would have put a window in the block. Another thing I could think of is if this block had been rebuilt the pistons and the cylinder walls weren't machined correctly and not enough room for expansion. It is highly unlikely but I had that happen with a motor of mine. Sent it to a buddy to have it "worked on" and he ended up not doing things correctly and ended up ****in everything up.

Thats a good possibility, when taking the oil pan off I noticed that it had been off before due to all the scratched on the side from what looks like a screw driver prying it off. Funny that everything is stock however. Who knows. This block is no good for a 2.0ltr anymore but it can be bored out and rebuilt. I was happy to see that the crank was in perfect condition. The ticking noise I was hearing was coming from the piston pin. Damn thing barley pivots.
Old May 30, 2012, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

I have Evoscan, but how do I check for "leanspool" and or whether its on or off?
you need ECUFlash, and then check the periphery bits...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ean-spool.html

I would suggest that if you really want that 600whp monster on 91 crap gas, get familiar with ECU flash

The ECUFlash forum is a great place to learn about the capabilities that we enjoy on the ECU.

good luck!
Old May 30, 2012, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Oh yeah... I would suggest that you bring this up with your tuner... If he doesn't know what your talking about, then quietly, and quickly find a better tuner.
Old May 30, 2012, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chrisw
Oh yeah... I would suggest that you bring this up with your tuner... If he doesn't know what your talking about, then quietly, and quickly find a better tuner.

lol good call thanks. If he doesnt know then I plan to go to Road Race Engineering
in L.A.
Old May 30, 2012, 08:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Thats a good possibility, when taking the oil pan off I noticed that it had been off before due to all the scratched on the side from what looks like a screw driver prying it off. Funny that everything is stock however. Who knows. This block is no good for a 2.0ltr anymore but it can be bored out and rebuilt. I was happy to see that the crank was in perfect condition. The ticking noise I was hearing was coming from the piston pin. Damn thing barley pivots.
Man that sucks. I feel for ya brotha I hope it gets fixed soon so you can get some time back at the track.
Old May 31, 2012, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Any other detailed pics I can take for better info be sure to let me know. I will post them ASAP to better understand what happened.