Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 9 won't start

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 9 won't start

Hello EvoM, I have an evo 9 with a freshly built 2.3 stroker that will not start. The crank angle sensor is working properly sending the rpm (The scan tool was reading it) and the Cam Position Sensor is also working properly on an Oscilloscope. I believe all of the grounds are bolted down. All of the sensors are plugged in that need to be unless the any of the following need to be plugged in - Fuel Pressure Sensor, EVAP Sensor, EGR Sensors. The ignition is plugged in properly along with the Injectors, the Knock Sensor, the Oil Pressure Sending Unit and the Mivec valve. The TPS, coolant temp sensor and Map Sensors are also reading properly. There is no injector pulse but the fuel pump is running properly with proper fuel pressure to the injectors. I am also not getting any spark from the ignition system. I don't believe it is the Immobilizer system because I don't receive any signals or lights on the dash when the key is on and when it is turning over. Are there any fuses that I could have blown unknowingly that I could check along with relays possibly. Any and all advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently running a new AMS COP CDI ignition system. I don't believe I could have installed it wrong because its pretty much plug and play with a power and ground.

Thanks,
Justin Reaves
jrblackse
Old May 29, 2012, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Put your stock ignition back on and see wat happends. Scope the crank. Just b/c you have rpm doesn't always mean the crank is good. Also if you have multiple channels on your scope check correlation of the cam/crank

Last edited by MechTech; May 29, 2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old May 30, 2012, 02:03 AM
Evolving Member

The CAS is reading properly and so are the CPS sensors. I have narrowed it down and I keep blowing fuse 1 under the dash. I unhooked the COP ignition and then it does not blow. I did a continuity test on the ignition itself and the ground on the wiring harness from the coil plug to their specific ground locations and my ohmmeter read 0.0 so I would have to assume there is good continuity there. I did a little research on another members post on this same issue but I have no wire tuck and have not touched any of the ignition wires. Could it possibly have something to do with the way I hooked up the COP? Or is there another fuse or ground I need to pay attention too?

Again thanks very much for replying

Justin Reaves
jrblackse
Old May 30, 2012, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

I have found the problem. I may have a faulty ignition. The stock ignition started it right up.