Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Oil in throttle body.....help!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil in throttle body.....help!!!

well here i am again...PROBLEMS!...found out i have oil in my throttle body intercooler pipes and BOV..aint all that suppose to have just AIR mainly...what do i do now...
Old May 31, 2012, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Blow by oil...Get a catch can.
Old May 31, 2012, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Oil should be very minimal but nothing to worry about. As mentioned above, insall a catch can between valve cover to intake, if excessivly bad a blown turbo seal is possible but i bet you have crankcase oil... Do alittle reading, lots of info on this...
Old Jun 1, 2012, 07:21 AM

i also have a low compression in cylinder 4 and maybe a bad head gasket....that may cause all this oil everywhere....funds are low so thats why it aint fix yet.....plus tryin to find a thread that shows me the correct way of installing a catch can.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take the whole intercooler, pipes, and intake assembly apart and clean them inside. I use hot water mixed with simple green.

If you're confident enough, take the throttle body off and clean it too, then get a roll of paper and start wiping inside the intake manifold. You'll like the way your car drives after that's all done. Consider it part of your maintenance.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
agreed with the catch can. and try to shoot for a baffled one or stuff it with steel wool. i run a weapon-r that sits in the factory strut brace. it worked for years but when i upgraded the fittings to -6an and ran an extra vent from the intake cam to it my turbo sucked so much oil thru it it flooded my intercooler piping... lesson learned. now its stuffed and works amazing. vents more then a motor should ever need and never fills up like a elevated cat can should.

but i disagree with simple green... its hard enough to clean the inside of the intercooler as it is. use something that evaporates and that isn't bad if it accidentally gets sucked up like throttle body cleaner. took me two cans when i did it. but i was really thorough. wiping out the intake is pointless as long as you stop the cause for the oil. it will get pulled in and flushed out while running. and paper towel break up way to easy and thats definitely something you don't want flushing thru the system.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Better buy a lot of brake clean to fill up that intercooler
Old Jul 2, 2012, 04:32 PM

Sounds like you need a catch can. Driving it hard a lot? It could definitely happen if you are. But I would have a local shop look at it if it really concerns you.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

I used fuel to "flush" my intercooler with,and just re-flushed it with engine cleaner and hot water afterwards.Leave it in the sun so it stands on the intake or outlet pipe so all the water can run out and evaporate.
Clean all the rest with clean cloths and carb cleaner.