Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Looking for someone to run Car history?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2012, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue91lx
This thread is ridiculous.

Not wanting to pay for a Carfax has absolutely nothing to do with how "cheap" the potential buyer is.

Nearly every other forum I'm on has a sticky for a guy that has a membership that helps out the forum members by getting them reports on cars for free. Not wanting to spend $45 for a subscription to see Carfax Reports isn't that unheard of.

After all, if you are all *****ing about how cheap Ministroker is, where are your subscriptions?
If we can get it for free then why not
post up which forum and a link to the sticky so he can get his free report
didnt even know we could get subscriptions.. I always just paid when needed... Last one i bought was 3 years ago when i bought my evo... No subscription needed here...
Its just a smart idea to get whether its free, or 45$... Regardless its a must to be safe before buying a car...
Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It just bothered me that he was getting flamed and had assumptions made about his character due to a simple question.

This is what I used when I needed mine:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...e-posting.html
Old Jun 2, 2012, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blue91lx
This thread is ridiculous.

Not wanting to pay for a Carfax has absolutely nothing to do with how "cheap" the potential buyer is.

Nearly every other forum I'm on has a sticky for a guy that has a membership that helps out the forum members by getting them reports on cars for free. Not wanting to spend $45 for a subscription to see Carfax Reports isn't that unheard of.

After all, if you are all *****ing about how cheap Ministroker is, where are your subscriptions?
I have an account with CarJam (NZs version of carfax). I didn't think twice about paying for the report, I also didn't think about how much the mechanical check I got done cost. It's worth it whether you buy the car or not.

I'm not saying that it's not ok to be cheap, I'm a downright ****ing Scrooge. But I always fork out for things that are important. If someone is pinching pennies on something this important, I'd hate to see what happens when they need to service their drivetrain.

Besides, isn't asking for carfaxes against the rules of this forum?
Old Jun 2, 2012, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
Besides, isn't asking for carfaxes against the rules of this forum?
probably...and definitely against the CarFax TOS.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
If someone is pinching pennies on something this important, I'd hate to see what happens when they need to service their drivetrain.
This kind of stuff is what pissed me off. I've replaced everything on my car and taken ample time to do it, following every exact torque spec, not sparing a dime on any parts, but asked on a forum for someone to run a CarFax when I bought it .

The dude was just looking for a favor and everyone flamed him.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

I respect the fact that you do things properly and aren't concerned about cost when it comes to maintaining your car, I am exactly the same. However I feel that you are an exception in the group of people that ask for free carfaxes.

Why did you ask for a free one? If it was because of the cost then where do you draw the line? Yes you drew the line appropriately and are prepared to fork out for the upkeep of your car. But given how important I believe a carfax is and how little the cost is, I can see a lot of these people cutting costs where they can.

I didn't actually see any flaming, maybe OP's first reply but the rest has just been honest advice given appropriately.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe he's not interested in looking up a car he wants to buy. I'd love a free one to check out my old car out of curiosity, but I wouldn't pay for it.