Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

wife + mods = bad gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2012, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the evo isn't fun without boost ... buy the wife a prius so the evo nagging stops jk jk
Old Jun 3, 2012, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I get 19 on pump gas. But I have to drive like a girl and let all kinds of stupid honda kids whoop on me. Kind of depressing.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deadstockkpomp
do what you want to your car its yours it amazes me how many dudes with performance cars let females make the decisions on their mods. dont mean to sound like a dick, just saying. if you can pay for gas an you want the mods get them.

Then again, she's not just a female, she's the wife and he's gotta live with her.

OP, seriously, just tell her not to worry about the gas mileage, the difference is negligible. If you were smart enough to marry a blonde, that word should end the argument.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mods are technically improving the efficiency of your motor, and thus can result in better gas milage than stock if tuned correctly.

Tell your wifey that more lag = more time out of boost which = better gas milage.

Problem solved if you wanted to go large frame!

And for those of you who say that one "shouldn't own an Evo if concerned about gas milage," that's absurd.

If the car is your daily driver I'm pretty sure getting decent fuel milage is at least a little bit of a concern. The owner is obviously first performance minded, however, to neglect the concept of fuel milage in its entirety would be stupid, as it's not like you're going HAM all the time around town.

......And if you are, you probably have "the shocker" or "Tapout" as your window decal.

Oh, and for those of you who don't let your women have any say in what you do, consider it a compromise, as there will likely be situations in which you wish to have a say in what she does. But hey, what's a healthy relationship anyway?

Last edited by Blue91lx; Jun 3, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 04:55 AM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue91lx
Mods are technically improving the efficiency of your motor, and thus can result in better gas milage than stock if tuned correctly.

Tell your wifey that more lag = more time out of boost which = better gas milage.

And for those of you who say that one "shouldn't own an Evo if concerned about gas milage," that's absurd.

If the car is your daily driver I'm pretty sure getting decent fuel milage is at least a little bit of a concern. The owner is obviously first performance minded, however, to neglect the concept of fuel milage in its entirety would be stupid, as it's not like you're going HAM all the time around town.

......And if you are, you probably have "the shocker" or "Tapout" as your window decal.

Oh, and for those of you who don't let your women have any say in what you do, consider it a compromise, as there will likely be situations in which you wish to have a say in what she does. But hey, what's a healthy relationship anyway?
THIS WHOLE POST IS FULL OF WIN!
i have my wife convinced a FP RED or BLACK will improve my milage and she is encouraging me to get it. and although when spooled it will suck my tank inside out making enough power to slow the earths rotation. It probably won't spool untill after 3500. Which would permit me to cruise, out of boost around 75 or 80mph = good MPG. Ps: my wife hates the way my car sounds with my GSC Cams lol.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 07:29 PM

my best is 19mpg so far...
Old Jun 4, 2012, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

I got 27mpgs with my 10:1 2.0L/35r combo.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by USCGSAM
Ps: my wife hates the way my car sounds with my GSC Cams lol.
LoL my wife is the same way.

I have upgraded fmic, ic piping, tbe, o2 housing, gsc s2 cams, 850cc injectors, and wally fuel pump and I get around 20 mpg with the typical tank. Before the mods, the car was getting 17-18mpg stock, but it really depends on how you drive. I don't get on my car all that often, and I know if I say out of boost for the entire tank, I can get up to 23-24mpg.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You win a cookie for that post sir.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

After I got tuned my mpg went from 17-18 mixed to 20-22 mixed (spirited) driving. On long trips I get about 26mpg if I stay out of boost.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if i can stay out of it and stay in vacuum on highway during summer heat have averaged about 25mpg if stay around 70. If shes worried about gas mileage tell her to keep the boost gauge needle on the left side of the 0....then its gonna be as good as it gets.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Sums it up very well Its not that we bought the car for the gas mileage but especially with gas prices rising just having some wherewithal about your mpgs and how to get the most out of your evo's fuel efficiency whether it be certain mods or driving techniques (only when you want to of course) is quite useful and the OP shouldn't be flamed for it
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

just use my agrument against my wife, saying well "my car only takes $55 to fill up and yours is $80" cause they dont know how big the fuel tank is LOL
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blowngasket
just use my agrument against my wife, saying well "my car only takes $55 to fill up and yours is $80" cause they dont know how big the fuel tank is LOL
hahaha definitely used that one before too
Old Jun 5, 2012, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raptord
You win a cookie for that post sir.
Why thank you.

Quick Reply: wife + mods = bad gas mileage?