Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

anything you don't like about your evo?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:52 AM
choad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I absolutely HATE the fact that it's..

not an "MR"..

Old Mar 24, 2004, 02:23 PM

Maybe it's the location, but I can agree and disagree with some of the topics I've seen in other posts.

1. Around here, I get more respect than *******s. I see people with the big grins and nods when I drive by. I stopped at a gas station and got asked IF I raced it, not 'Dude, wanna run?'
2. I'm one of the people that followed WRC back when it was on at 2am on Speed Channel, and I didn't tape it. :P This is a part of the heritage of one of the only true forms of racing left.
3. It lives up to every bit of the legend that made it one of the most sought after non-imports out there.

Dislikes:
1. I would kill to have a gas tank that held a few more gallons.
2. I miss cruise control.
3. Stretcing here... I wouldn't call it a dislike, but a 6th gear for highway speeds woulda been nice... spinning 3500-4000 rpm to keep up with traffic around here seems an unnecessary expenditure of gas and wear on the parts.

And for the record, I love my Mitsu dealer. I was getting a synchro clash from 4th to 5th 70 mph (highway merging speed here) at about 4k miles. They called out the regional rep and tore out my tranny to fix it with the only delay waiting for the Regional Rep to get down to the dealership.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

1) too much of the attention grabber...sometimes i wish i had something less subtle like civic or something so everyone'd stop staring at me and my car...sides, this car attracts a lot of unwanted attention from thieves and police and etc...
2) I wish mitsu at least had like aluminum/titanium/whatever covering for the evo pedals...rubber looks dreadful
3) stock clear tail lights must go...ppl call me ricer now even though the car's stock (dont wanna spend money to get uk/jdm tai lights) even though i'm anti-ricer with ghetto exhaust tips and etc...

other than that no complains
Old Mar 24, 2004, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

just a quick note twomix. Mitsu has a sports pedal set which covers the rubber up.

1. handling - nothing like being able to drive likes it summer during a chicago winter.
2. recaro seats - i've never had a car hold me so tight in my place without a harness.
3. potential - 4G63 can be made into a monster quickly, interior is nice for a sports car under 30k, and the body styling is nice for a stock set up. With the right knowledge and money you can make this car into something very special and still have money to gas up.

Dislikes:
1. Stock cutoffs - rev limiter, fuel cut, boost cut. My friend got rid off all of those with a flash and some parts and I had to make sure he didn't slap the Evo chassis on another car. Do away with these and your on your way.
2. other cars baiting you - everyone wants a shot at an evo. your 16 yr old driving a v6 mustang to old man ***** and his porshe. it goes old quick on your daily commute.
3. Rediculously compact engine - Just go ahead and try installing anything yourself. Hope your a contortionist.

what didn't make the list
altezza = (puke)
rattles, come on its a sports car so a little is expected
MPG - meh its better than my old explorer
Old Mar 25, 2004, 07:19 AM

Originally posted by Satori
I'm totaly in love with everything about how it performs and feels (except the clutch).

Dislikes, I’m not really fond of how it looks. I think it's ugly. Also I'm not hip on the weak sound system or the lack of cruse. But those can both be fixed easily enough.
How can you say your car is ugly??!

I saw a black EVO the other day with bronze wheels and I was like it looked so bad a$$. To me the EVO looks like a weapon, like it was built for one purpose.

It's cool to read what you guys have to say about your car, my next car will be an STi or an EVO. I have driven an STi but not an EVO yet. I think that will be my deciding factor. The Pros of owning an EVO seem to far out weigh the Cons.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Hmm - Evo dislikes:

Mostly the hurt all the upgrading has put on my wallet... The car just begs for upgrades and track days (and track wheels, and track tires, etc.)

I love the car. I'm willing to accept a few quirks (and even the Mitsu non-warranty) for this level of performance and the ease with which I have been able add more power.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

ya, thev fact that it's a piece of ****.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 08:34 AM
choad

a ducati or the evo???

Old Mar 25, 2004, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

- Gas tank is too small.
- Wouldn't mind some better gas mileage.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 11:15 AM

Yeah that I don't have one yet
Old Apr 2, 2004, 09:10 PM

Small *** (dixie cup size) cup holders
Old Apr 2, 2004, 09:31 PM

dis like
no cruise
cop pulled me over asked me if i thought about using cruise i said car dosnt come with it. 2 days later same cop pulls me over i see you havnt found the cruise yet i said I TOLD YOU 2 DAYS AGO i dont ahve cruise he gose well i guess im gona keep pullin you over till you slow down i said i guess ill see you tommrow ****IN DICK gave me 3 tickets yea cant drive slow to hard 5th gear pulls so hard
Old Apr 2, 2004, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

yep.it dosen't make me mcgrilles in the mouring .the car is a masterpiece
Old Apr 3, 2004, 09:23 AM

That I dont have it yet...
Old Apr 4, 2004, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Well, it's been covered pretty well already but I think these would qualify as my (minor) gripes:
1) Poor gauges. They are hard to read and could definitely be improved.
2) Haven't seen this one mentioned. Paint chips right behind driver's side rear door. I don't know why this happens, but it seems to be a problem for Evos.
3) Lack of cruise control.
4) Poor "feel" on climate controls. The temp dial is, um, imprecise at best. Others are ok I guess. I also wish they were placed lower so that a 2 DIN space was available.
5) Very minor but is it possible for the exhaust manifold to not look like I just pulled it out of a junk yard? The rust just stands out in the engine bay.
6) Another minor one, but why do I have to remove 15 screws to take off the underbody try just so I can use a floor jack?
7) Yeah a bigger gas tank would be nice.
8) A trunk passthrough maybe? I'm really reaching here and if it reduced performance I wouldn't want it anyway.
9) Poor optics on rearview mirror.
10) A higher 6th gear for cruising at lower RPM. I have no complaints about the gearing of the 5 speed other than that.

You'll notice I didn't mention the clutch. Mine's fine but if it wasn't maybe I'd feel differently. I think it's adequate to its purpose, but maybe not up to "racing" standards. Still, I've only got a little over 6K on the Evo. Give me another 6K and we'll see if I'm singing the same tune. Would I do it again? Abso-frickin-lutely! I might go with black because it looks so good when clean, but driving the car is where the pleasure is found. Of course, all of us on this forum are probably a little biased.

Quick Reply: anything you don't like about your evo?