Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Has anyone ever attempted?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2012, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone ever attempted?

to install a turbosupercharger in an Evo, similar to what was installed in some very successful Lancia rally cars?

For those who don't know, the Lancia turbosupercharger setup used a smallish Volumex supercharger to get low-end no-lag power, matched to a large turbocharger for top-end power which gradually took over as the supercharger ran out of poop.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

There is a hillclimb Evo over in Europe that is twincharged, not sure the name of the shop. I think there was an attempt at it in the states but not sure if it went all the way.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well there's a good reason why cars usually don't run turbo-supercharger combo. Mainly because turbochargers now a days are like spaceships compared to old turbochargers back in the day. just take a look at the old pre hta fp green and the new bb green. there is a BIG difference
Old Jun 4, 2012, 08:48 PM

Back in my DSM days, a guy had two turbos on his GSX. His dual setup had a smaller turbo feeding the larger one, I don't recall if he ever had the car running, but there was a few pictures of everything mocked up. It was pretty cool looking, not sure if it actually worked or not. I'll have to try and find the pictures.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by jay777
Back in my DSM days, a guy had two turbos on his GSX. His dual setup had a smaller turbo feeding the larger one, I don't recall if he ever had the car running, but there was a few pictures of everything mocked up. It was pretty cool looking, not sure if it actually worked or not. I'll have to try and find the pictures.
I remember this but I thought the two turbos were the same size. Anyway, he had the manifold completed and the turbos installed then no other word about it. So, I'm guessing it didn't work as planned.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

there is no need to add a supercharger when a 71hta will put out 430ftlbs at 3,500 rpm....
Old Jun 4, 2012, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

there are a couple successful compound turbo dsms and at least one successful twin charged.

I've researched this a lot. There's a lot out there on it. The end game here is that a small displacement motor can only eat so many cfm so bug torque at 2k rpm isn't happening.

when aiming around 3.5k where ve is nice you might as well compound turbo. You'll have good throttle reponse at an low rpm range that the motor will eat some air at.

when compound turboing most people seem to stay within 15-18 lb/min from primary to secondary turbo.

read this thread: http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=216811

search some of the other cars mentioned / shown in the thread.

I would use that hta71 and run it into a hta86. spools like a stock turbo / pulls like a hta86. consider also that your adding a lot of weight to the front of the car, probably the biggest drae back next to cost.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

to save you some tome the mod 99gsxracr or somehting like that on dsm tuner has a 16g feeding an old 60trim.

there is only one dyno graph and tach signal was dropping out and he had a slipping clutch.

his boost log showed some good spool up for that junk 60trim.

The guy that twin charged the 1st gen talked about his numbers and spool but I dont recall seeing a graph or log.

soooo, don't waste too much time sifting for a graph, just pm one of those guys but even that is a long shot.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 01:16 AM
Evolving Member

Old Jun 5, 2012, 05:47 AM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Originally Posted by akauf
there are a couple successful compound turbo dsms and at least one successful twin charged.

I've researched this a lot. There's a lot out there on it. The end game here is that a small displacement motor can only eat so many cfm so bug torque at 2k rpm isn't happening.

when aiming around 3.5k where ve is nice you might as well compound turbo. You'll have good throttle reponse at an low rpm range that the motor will eat some air at.

when compound turboing most people seem to stay within 15-18 lb/min from primary to secondary turbo.

read this thread: http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=216811

search some of the other cars mentioned / shown in the thread.

I would use that hta71 and run it into a hta86. spools like a stock turbo / pulls like a hta86. consider also that your adding a lot of weight to the front of the car, probably the biggest drae back next to cost.
I would think heat would be the other big problem. One turbo generates enough heat as it is.

Anyway, I am sure that there are reasons why turbo/supercharger or compound turbo setups are not more common. The folks here and the the engineers who work for Mr. Mitsubishi have no doubt forgotten more about forced induction than I will ever know.

Last edited by mrowka; Jun 5, 2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard the blower from an AMG Mercedes will fit. Someone had a youtube video of the car on the dyno with the blower installed.

I'm more interested now with variable geometry turbos people are running on the DSMS......

Spool like stock, 35R power up top. Some guys are now actuating the vanes properly with controllers they built to run the PWM.

I still think this is the future of small boosted motors. The electric assist is there to band-aid poor spooling designs but we can still work to increase spool without band-aids in my opinion.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:16 AM

This Guy built this crazy lotus that's supercharged and Turbo 600ho crazy here's the video if you guys haven't seen it
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

There was a guy who did it here on Evom a few years back, but he kept melting his motor so he finally gave up
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we have a V6 Diesel truck here that internation makes, it uses a setup similar to that, one turbo feeds the other one for low end to mid range power, uses A borgWarner KKK series turbos one is a k16 and other one is a K27.2 but the bigger turbo is Twin scroll. they both work together to push and pressuirze the air thru, neat setup. Also i believe the K16 that is on this is also in some porche"s.
The stock Boost is 7 PSI, believe the motor makes 200HP 355 FT torque, its a VT275 gets Insanely great mpg for a 16k pound truck.

Last edited by blowngasket; Jun 5, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

new powerstrokes are compound turbo

volkswagen is has a twin charged set up they are using and advancing with.

if there is anything holding this tech back it is because of cost and it is a comlpicated to set up. In aftermarket this should be looked at much more than it is.

there is a reason ams gave a compound set up attention for that castrol top shop contest thing. Only reason they didnt do it, complicated/time constraints.

i'm fully convinced a compound turbo set up put together with enough thought and revised with some road use would out perform single set ups hands down.