Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Aem Digital Boost gauge help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2012, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Aem Digital Boost gauge help

I just bought a boost gauge hooked everything up right and im having a slight problem. It will read vacuum fine but for some reason its slow to react on boost. If im driving and i know im building boost it will stay at 0 maybe move up to 5 but when i fully get on it, it seems to read fine. Jumps to 25 and stays there, so idk if it might be a sensor or is this just a common thing of the digital gauge? i had a tru-boost and it did not act like this. Any info appreciated. thanks
Old Jun 9, 2012, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mine does not function the same as yours so something is definitely wrong with it.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah something is wrong, I have this gauge aswell and mine doesn't do this.
I would start by rechecking your installation.
Where did you tap in for your boost source?
Old Jun 9, 2012, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HaVoC187
Yeah something is wrong, I have this gauge aswell and mine doesn't do this.
I would start by rechecking your installation.
Where did you tap in for your boost source?
I have a Mr so used the factory source for the mr gauge.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 02:05 PM

im having some what the same issues, i took it to the shop to get installed. but it stays at 0.. i cant push the car since i just got a clutch installed but the highest i got was 14. but once i start the car it wont become -22 or anything
Old Jun 9, 2012, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

I have an AEM boost gauge as well and it definitely sounds like a boost source problem. I would recommend tapping into the fuel pressure regulator to intake manifold vacuum line and see where that gets you. I would post a picture or at least let us know where you tapped into. And you may have a more direct answer.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jrblackSE
I have an AEM boost gauge as well and it definitely sounds like a boost source problem. I would recommend tapping into the fuel pressure regulator to intake manifold vacuum line and see where that gets you. I would post a picture or at least let us know where you tapped into. And you may have a more direct answer.
I used the facotry source for the gauge so I don't think that is the problem. I had a aem truboost and it was fine even when I plug my facotry MR gauge it seems to read fine.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Tap closer to the manifold instead of using the end of the 20 foot boost line that comes from the factory.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo8426
Tap closer to the manifold instead of using the end of the 20 foot boost line that comes from the factory.
I did I cut the factory line close to the manifold and mounted the sensor right under the strut bar. Has maybe 5inches from the T to the sensor.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

If your truboost and stock MR gauge are working then it sounds like it's a problem with the gauge itself.
Did you buy the gauge new?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HaVoC187
If your truboost and stock MR gauge are working then it sounds like it's a problem with the gauge itself.
Did you buy the gauge new?
Yes bought it new of a vendor here
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kanovic
Yes bought it new of a vendor here
AEM has excellent customer service and technical support. Since yours was bought brand new, give them a call. Most likely, they'll ask you to ship your gauge and sensor to them for a free check up and they'll send you a new set if yours are found to be defective.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem when I switched from the factory boost gauge to the AEM digital boost gauge. Never had any boost gauge problems before the change. I had connected the AEM sensor to the same source as the factory boost gauge...the T-fitting on the fuel pressure regulator. I just shortened the factory line that went to the oem boost gauge, and attached it to the AEM sensor. I immediately had the same weird problems.

I finally discovered that there was a restrictor pill in the factory boost gauge line about 1 inch from the T-fitting. The pill was very similar to the restrictor pill found in the factory electronic boost controller. The hole was so small that I don't think a pin would go through it! I've never heard of this before, and have never seen any other posts about it. I also point out that I bought the car brand new (gauges installed), and no one else had ever worked on it at that point. After replacing the factory piece with a section of new vacuum line, the AEM gauge worked perfectly and has ever since.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

I am using the factory line from the MR gauge and did not cut it and have no problems.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lcwjr
I had the same problem when I switched from the factory boost gauge to the AEM digital boost gauge. Never had any boost gauge problems before the change. I had connected the AEM sensor to the same source as the factory boost gauge...the T-fitting on the fuel pressure regulator. I just shortened the factory line that went to the oem boost gauge, and attached it to the AEM sensor. I immediately had the same weird problems.

I finally discovered that there was a restrictor pill in the factory boost gauge line about 1 inch from the T-fitting. The pill was very similar to the restrictor pill found in the factory electronic boost controller. The hole was so small that I don't think a pin would go through it! I've never heard of this before, and have never seen any other posts about it. I also point out that I bought the car brand new (gauges installed), and no one else had ever worked on it at that point. After replacing the factory piece with a section of new vacuum line, the AEM gauge worked perfectly and has ever since.
Interesting. I will check mine tomorrow and see if that pill actually exists.

Quick Reply: Aem Digital Boost gauge help