Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Thoughts about welding Stock Muffler to Aftermarket Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:06 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't forget to get tuned
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can always put the stock muffler on and get a cutout in your downpipe. Quiet when you want it and still has power when you want it!
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sell your catback and buy a cheap ebay 3" turbo back. buy 2 or 3 3" magnaflow mufflers (round canister either 6" or 7" diameter) and have them welded on by a professional shop. that is what i am running and its deep with zero rasp and just a little noise.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Forget about glasspack, they are not meant to reduce noise, they are meant to deepen the sound.
They could give a slight db reduction but still not as much as a muffler.

Check magnaflow bullet mufflers. Magnaflow and Borla they are the quietest
straight through mufflers on the market.

Last edited by domyz; Jun 22, 2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by domyz
Forget about glasspack, they are not meant to reduce noise, they are meant to deepen the sound.
They could give a slight db reduction but still not as much as a muffler.

Check magnaflow bullet mufflers. Magnaflow and Borla are they quietest
straight through mufflers on the market.

What do u think about putting the stock muffler back on? Or any suggestions on what specific magnaflow muffler to get?
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

You will lose the benefits of your 3" TBE if you put the stock muffler
back on. If you absoletely want to put it back, send it to works and consider
losing at least 10whp and a lot of spool even at your power level. If you put
the stock muffler without sending it to works, you'll really choke your TBE and
lost will be worse than a few whps.

Put the biggest and longest magnaflow you can fit; take your measurements under the car.
Read this: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...t-exhaust.html

Actually I'm on a big exhaust project myself:
Modding the stock muffler part two (The first part was only to remove the flapper door in a 8 muffler):
Get a stock muffler :
Open it,
remove the flapper door,
take a dremel,
create a less restrictive passage,
and welding some new 3" inlet and outlet pipes on it.
Reweld the top plate on.

The project is much more complicated, it is based on exhaust science to keep it quiet, but I resumed it for purpose.
That is basically what I'm working on right now, I'll come back with a thread and
a lot of pics and soundclips. More details will be included. The project will cause a lot of interest I think.
Police officers will see a stock muffler under the car, with mitsubishi logo under it, so no problem with them...
But the muffler will be a near straight through 3" in and out!!

Last edited by domyz; Jun 22, 2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Brigganator
Has anyone ran the Ultra Quiet Resonator onto their aftermarket exhaust? what is the outcome? also i spoke to a few shops today and they said they would def start off by adding a resonator, and if that isnt good enough then do the muffler as well, And one shop didnt want to touch my car due to it having a test pipe and not the stock cat on it because he might run into legal issues...
that little resonator is waste of money. doesnt muffle much at all.

I run the factory muffler moddified. original inlet is cut off and welded shut. new 3 inch welded on the end cap near the straight through section of the muffler. this makes the muffler very near a straight through desgn. and makes adding it to afermarket system very easy. stock with inlet on the side would be difficult to integrate. its very quiet worth the effort.

I make 400tq by 3700rpm (fast spool) and 460whp with 24psi on hta green. doubt its much of a restriction

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Jun 27, 2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
that little resonator is waste of money. doesnt muffle much at all.

I run the factory muffler moddified. original inlet is cut off and welded shut. new 3 inch welded on the end cap near the straight through section of the muffler. this makes the muffler very near a straight through desgn. and makes adding it to afermarket system very easy. stock with inlet on the side would be difficult to integrate. its very quiet worth the effort.

I make 400tq by 3700rpm (fast spool) and 460whp with 24psi on hta green. doubt its much of a restriction
Big thanks for your idea of changing the inlet location, I will consider this in my project
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you're looking for a stock style muffler and sound, go with the works stealth muffler!
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a dynomax VT muffler with 3" all the way back.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17157/

It's quiet at low RPMs but opens up once you get on it. Some people that had the older version had problems when the flap hit the inside of the muffler but I haven't had that issue since it was supposedly fixed.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cool_as_crap
I have a dynomax VT muffler with 3" all the way back.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17157/

It's quiet at low RPMs but opens up once you get on it. Some people that had the older version had problems when the flap hit the inside of the muffler but I haven't had that issue since it was supposedly fixed.

Good muffler but you have to tolerate a big air pulsing/puffing sound when the valve is close/at idle, which is the reason I switched back to stock muffler.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:13 PM

And the vt has issues with cams because the lope closes and opens it rapidly which makes an annoying rattle, do u have a pics of ur modified stock muffler so I can know where to put the new inlet.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:35 PM

I was running the greddy ti c with cat delete, crazy loud but sounded amazing. To tone it down a bit and try to loose some cabin noise on the interstate I had two of these welded in

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=292

Brought down the volume (neighbors made sure to thank me), still sounds amazing and still 3inch flow through the whole way, food for thought I guess
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Would a magnaflow muffler be better or a vibrant ultra quiet resonator in the testpipe?

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...products_id=47
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:53 PM

Alright guys though i would give you and update on what my status is on the muffler, i still have not welded on the stock muffler, instead i found a works exhale ABM on craigslist and bought it, and i just took it to a muffler shop and the guy i was dealing with was kind of a jerk to begin with, first he asked why i wanted to replace the muffler on it with the works and i told him just wanted to quiet the car down a little and he goes off saying well your wasting your time and money cause this muffler is the exact same as on the car or louder, their all cheap china junk and all the hanger and would snap off if he hooked the works one to the car, and he suggested i get a flowmaster muffler and put it in the mufflers place for 200 dollars , oh and get this is gave me and idea that if i only paid 25.00 he would cut a hole by the inlet of the muffler and stick in the 2in x 5in long stick of metal that would quiet the car but it would restrict the muffler so i said "ok thats all i need to know, take my car off the lift" and off i went annoyed as hell on how these shops stay around by pulling **** like this. just install the damn muffler like i asked you to not give me other suggestion *******.. ohwell, you guys think the works muffler will quiet down the car? or do i need resonator along with the works muffler? remember i only have a test pipe on the whole system.. thanks guys.

heres the link for the muffler i bought- http://store.worksmotorsports.com/WO..._p/147.103.htm

Last edited by Brigganator; Aug 20, 2012 at 02:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Thoughts about welding Stock Muffler to Aftermarket Exhaust?