Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dyno tune vs Email order

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
i believe that road, remote, and dyno all work well. having done all (3) myself.

I think its pretty clear good results can be seen through all 3 methods. if the person tuning the car has good knowledge and understands the platform hes tuning then chances are the results will be great with all (3) methods as seen day in and day out.

i don't see any disadvantages really with being tuned remotely/email.. you would think there were a handful and then some, but having done quite a few cars remote/email i can happily say there is not. from what im reading here it seems surprising to some.. understandable..

I found myself able to diagnose issues that even the owner of the car wasn't aware of at the time before we even began the tuning session.. or during the tuning session and so forth.. without ever even seeing the actual car just because i was asking questions and had him look over stuff prior to tuning that he never has before.

it all comes down to the tuner.. if he ask questions and covers his bases, and flags all possibilities of possible problems of the machine hes tuning whether it be remote, road, or on the dyno.. the issues will be resolved. he doesn't need to be there in person or see the car to do so 99% of the cases..

all the above is written unbiased and from direct experience.

hope that answered some of your questions.

I took the time to write what i did because i feel if someone went as far as to ask the question, they see it as a viable option to them, so they deserve to get some general feedback from someone who does what their questioning.

---

examples:

a good tuner will be able to diagnose almost anything without being there.. cars timing is off physically? its going to spool abnormally.

injectors clogged? stuck? latency will be off, so will scaling in general & afr & trim activity stft etc. fuel map will reflect irregulars if you get to WOT tuning. etc

if i see a car isn't ideal for tuning i explain to the customer what needs done, he goes and gets it done.. maybe he can do it himself? a lot of times they can.. if that may be the case he just saved himself a lot of $ potentially and gotten a free diagnosis at the same time without leaving his driveway / location and learning hands on at the same time.

im not saying remote tuning is for everybody, because its not.. but if you think there's an advantage to being there in person vs remote, power tuning wise .. as odd as it sounds.. theres not. unless the person is incapable of telling you what his cars doing, which i've yet to experience (Maybe 1 car that comes into mind, i can extract the same performance being there in person as i can remote not being there.

basically what im saying is, i will not tune a car that is not in full health.. the way i do things i have a huge check list the customer will see and do.. at the end of the day the car is running to the max of its ability. if its not.. the tune is kept for another day / time until its in full health.

i wouldn't be able to extract numbers like im extracting or have customers almost running 9's on stock blocks if remote tuning wasnt effective..

at the end of the day the tunes only as good as the tuner doing it, and if the tuner is good he will guide his customer into the right direction and will not tune the car with faults. he will give his customer time to correct and repair the flaws he finds with his customer.. that is how i do things remotely and that is how other remote tuners also do things!

hope that information is helpful for anyone that was curious how remote tuning works or if there are any risks in remote tuning as far as maximizing your setup.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by adriano_917
Ok I got a Q, with an email tune what do you need other than the tactrix cable and a lap top to log in some wot pulls ? For example do you send it to lets say Buschur do you send your map and all your modifications or how does it work ?
Programmer cable and a laptop that's capable of running evoscan.

You would send your existing rom to your tuner off your ecu so they can transfer the immobilizer data and any other data needed for your new rom..

some tuners just use others roms and edit them.. i on the other hand will give a new rom to everyone i tune custom.. everyone has their own way of doing things. some do what i do, some dont.

you dont just jump right into power tuning. you monitor fuel trims, get driveability optimized and then when the persons happy and content the way the cars operating then you can jump into a partial power pull, from there you can do a full power pull..

basically thats how it works and from there its rinse and repeat until max power is extracted. typically a car takes 2-3hrs to fully tune if everything goes smoothly between the customer and tuner. sometimes much longer.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
i believe that road, remote, and dyno all work well. having done all (3) myself.

I think its pretty clear good results can be seen through all 3 methods. if the person tuning the car has good knowledge and understands the platform hes tuning then chances are the results will be great with all (3) methods as seen day in and day out.

i don't see any disadvantages really with being tuned remotely/email.. you would think there were a handful and then some, but having done quite a few cars remote/email i can happily say there is not. from what im reading here it seems surprising to some.. understandable..

I found myself able to diagnose issues that even the owner of the car wasn't aware of at the time before we even began the tuning session.. or during the tuning session and so forth.. without ever even seeing the actual car just because i was asking questions and had him look over stuff prior to tuning that he never has before.

it all comes down to the tuner.. if he ask questions and covers his bases, and flags all possibilities of possible problems of the machine hes tuning whether it be remote, road, or on the dyno.. the issues will be resolved. he doesn't need to be there in person or see the car to do so 99% of the cases..

all the above is written unbiased and from direct experience.

hope that answered some of your questions.

I took the time to write what i did because i feel if someone went as far as to ask the question, they see it as a viable option to them, so they deserve to get some general feedback from someone who does what their questioning.

---

examples:

a good tuner will be able to diagnose almost anything without being there.. cars timing is off physically? its going to spool abnormally.

injectors clogged? stuck? latency will be off, so will scaling in general & afr & trim activity stft etc. fuel map will reflect irregulars if you get to WOT tuning. etc

if i see a car isn't ideal for tuning i explain to the customer what needs done, he goes and gets it done.. maybe he can do it himself? a lot of times they can.. if that may be the case he just saved himself a lot of $ potentially and gotten a free diagnosis at the same time without leaving his driveway / location and learning hands on at the same time.

im not saying remote tuning is for everybody, because its not.. but if you think there's an advantage to being there in person vs remote, power tuning wise .. as odd as it sounds.. theres not. unless the person is incapable of telling you what his cars doing, which i've yet to experience (Maybe 1 car that comes into mind, i can extract the same performance being there in person as i can remote not being there.

basically what im saying is, i will not tune a car that is not in full health.. the way i do things i have a huge check list the customer will see and do.. at the end of the day the car is running to the max of its ability. if its not.. the tune is kept for another day / time until its in full health.

i wouldn't be able to extract numbers like im extracting or have customers almost running 9's on stock blocks if remote tuning wasnt effective..

at the end of the day the tunes only as good as the tuner doing it, and if the tuner is good he will guide his customer into the right direction and will not tune the car with faults. he will give his customer time to correct and repair the flaws he finds with his customer.. that is how i do things remotely and that is how other remote tuners also do things!

hope that information is helpful for anyone that was curious how remote tuning works or if there are any risks in remote tuning as far as maximizing your setup.
Agreed!! it really comes down to the tuner.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tscompusa
Programmer cable and a laptop that's capable of running evoscan.

You would send your existing rom to your tuner off your ecu so they can transfer the immobilizer data and any other data needed for your new rom..

some tuners just use others roms and edit them.. i on the other hand will give a new rom to everyone i tune custom.. everyone has their own way of doing things. some do what i do, some dont.

you dont just jump right into power tuning. you monitor fuel trims, get driveability optimized and then when the persons happy and content the way the cars operating then you can jump into a partial power pull, from there you can do a full power pull..

basically thats how it works and from there its rinse and repeat until max power is extracted. typically a car takes 2-3hrs to fully tune if everything goes smoothly between the customer and tuner. sometimes much longer.
So Evoscan is a program to log into the ecu, when your done with the tuning is there an estimate on how much Hp the car is putting down since your not on a dyno.
One last Q whats ecuboost ? Is boost controlled by the ecu now ? I read your webpage on remote tune but man ive got a lot to read.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:41 AM
Evolved Member

Evoscan is a program used to log data to see what a car is doing. It allows for logging of different parameters to provide information to allow a person to see how well the car is running and make changes as necessary.

http://www.evoscan.com/evoscan-gps-o...ogger-software

Ecuflash is a program that is used to reflash the ecu with changes that were noted during datalogging. It allows a person to tune a car. You will want a tactrix cable linked below. I would also recommend a wideband 02 gauge like the AEM Uego.

http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?opt...d=36&Itemid=58

http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?opt...id=6&Itemid=53

Virtual dyno is a program that will show "virtual" dyno numbers based on a datalog.

http://www.bradbarnhill.com/projects/VirtualDyno/

Ecuboost is boost being controlled by the ecu and a usually an aftermarket 3 port boost solenoid like the Grimmspeed. But there are other 3 ports solenoids and the factory solenoid can be used in some case as well.

How is it you have all of those mods listed and don't know anything about the tuning? Did you recently purchase the car with all of those mods?
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The latest version of Evoscan has made Ecuflash obsolete, meaning that you can now reflash your ecu through evoscan.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:45 AM
Evolved Member

I haven't had much luck with the newest version of evoscan. It was way to slow logging data for me from some reason. Could be some settings, but I choose to use both programs.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

All good info.

Thanks TScomp for enlighting me on what you do

At the moment my cars is running like crap I changed the Plugs from BPR7ES
to BPR8ES both Gapped @ .24

added a ETS LICP pipe
new intake (HKS to ARC)
adjusted my bov (single spring mod and tightened) it got rid of neutral to stop stall and most of my surge/flutter

I'm gonna do a boost leak test this weekend so I guess I'll go from there.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

Also Tscomp do you do street tunes I see your in PA
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Seems like when I get a dyno tune after I change my set up on my dsm it would be a all-out most power the car can possibly make tune.( which is ok because its mostly a drag car). However I got my evo done (remotely) my tune got covered in every boost level road condition uphill, downhill, stop lights, interstate speeds…. I mean, we made sure my fuel trims were spot on and made sure it was going into closed loop rite … Show me a dyno where they reset your trims and work on your e85 cold start worm up tune…drivability is what I’m into...I would much rather have that than a few numbers. Remote tuning is generally cheaper when you’re not paying someone to strap and unstrap your car. It is key that you know your car and that it is running 100% before the remote tune because that is what the tuner is expecting to start turning off with. Just my experience.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:14 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Initial_r90
At the moment my cars is running like crap I changed the Plugs from BPR7ES
to BPR8ES both Gapped @ .24

get rid of those plugs-

throw in some BPR7EIX or BPR8EIX gapped to .20 and you will be fine-

trust me-

cb
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:16 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
we will not put a car on our dyno without a pressure test- we find leaks 8 out of 10 time- even when a client says "yes I tested"..

its hard for someone to diagnose a bov that may leak or hang when it gets hot... etc... through an e-tune...

a proper dyno tune should be- pressure tested- oil checked- etc... and then followed up with a street test-

and no tuning should be overin 4 pulls-

cb
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRD
get rid of those plugs-

throw in some BPR7EIX or BPR8EIX gapped to .20 and you will be fine-

trust me-

cb
Agreed. Can't believe people are still using copper plugs
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
some input on this, a dyno tune vs street tune vs email tune, tuning a car is tuning a car. ultimately, the power that can be made doing it any of the 3 methods is going to be about the same assuming your tuner is competent.

HOWEVER, owning a shop and wrenching on cars and tuning them, i can assure you that 90% or more of the cars i see that come in for a tune, need more then just a tune. it almost never happens when i put my equipment on the car, don't need to pop the hood, and can tune a car to its full potential. almost always there are boost leaks, improperly adjust idle screws, misfiring plugs, wastegate actuators arent tight enough, exhaust leaks, rattling downpipes, timing belts not in time, you name it, i have seen it.

what does that mean for the power of the car? it means your not going to make the most power without fixing those issues first. an email tune can catch some of them (i.e. a BAD boost leak obviously will show extremely rich in boost on the logs). but the biggest difference in a tune and the drivability of the tune comes from making sure all those small issues are sorted out before or during the tune. if you arent capable of tuning the car on your own, more then likely you also aren't going to know if you have any of those problems either.

to me, thats where the money is better spent. making sure your tuner can see the car in person, can go over it with a fine tooth comb, and can have his eyes/ears on the car while hes tuning it.

if your no where near a capable tuner, then email is a great solution, just make sure you go over the car as good as you can before you have then tune it.
I was looking for the "Like" button and can't find it...........LIKED.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Anarchy99
When you name a tuner that can hear detonation, feel engine vibration, smell an exhaust leak, hear a wastegate not opening, smell a burning oil leak, see a leaking front case, smell coolant, hear a whistling boost leak, see a coolant overflow spilling over, can react when the FPR line pops off the intake manifold, and can abort a pull in an emergency through the internet or email, let me know...
This one too...............LIKED.

Quick Reply: Dyno tune vs Email order