Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dyno tune vs Email order

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by My03evo
Dyno tune has much more potential...since you can see the air/fuel you can run it more on the edge and make more power, but mail order they gotta leave more of a buffer zone before detonation and whatnot since they dont know how it runs with it and with the air density and everything
no it doesnt, that is why you hook your wideband up to evoscan so your tuner has the a/f ratio and they can tune it as on edge as you could on a dyno. your incorrect and never had a tune by tscompusa or mellon...
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by David Buschur
He did a good job on the WOT throttle stuff I'm just picky and don't like seeing a lot of the other things in the map, he's not the only well known guy I've seen the same things from. I typically overkill the low fuel/timing maps so the car can make huge corrections if needed and I don't really like messing with the knock sensor unless it is 100% absolutely needed. The idle, I don't know what to say about that, maybe it wasn't covered/reported how poorly it idled. I don't even like to use the stock idle tables on a stock car, so maybe I'm weird. I like an EVO to idle around 1,000 rpm, not 800, especially with cams in it.
Personally,I feel for the prices every tuner charges for there tunes they should ALL be like that and have the same mind set as you! There should be no improvements needed on the tune when coming off the dyno..I learned the hard way,Some people flat out don't know what there doing and still some how get praised

No it won't because myself and the car owner are the only two aware of it and he doesn't post on here, just reads. He also, along with myself, don't want to cause the guy any problems or harm.
Well that's good,Because we both know people would be questioning there tune and giving the guy hell..

Last edited by KaRboN; Jun 22, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh god.....another one of these threads

seeing these threads and the dumbass answers in it makes me wanna stick my weiner in my meat grinder
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Something else, for those of you with cables, do yourself a favor. Just take a few minutes to look at your maps, the high/low fuel tables should not be the same, the fuel table numbers should be at least somewhat richer. More importantly, the high/low ignition tables should not be the same, low should be lower numbers. For the old maps with multiple high/low tables make sure the highs match, the lows are lower and they match also. That car yesterday had the top end of the low timing map set higher than the high octane map, bad mistake.
the fuel map isn't as big of a deal as the ignition map is for the low/high oct map change. however if its there it should be used.. richer afr will just assist the lower ignition further in the situation of detonation.

the ignition map is pretty important.. that should always be set lower then the higher.. and as you said not just changing spots on the map.. actually highlighting the entire map from right to left and stopping around 100KPA and dropping them down a good 3-4 deg .. same with fuel.

as far as idle goes.. why someone would make big cams idle at 800 is beyond me.. idle is the easiest thing to tune in these cars.. bump the timing up and set the threshold higher in the RPM table and done.. then work your latency out until you get your low trim inline and stable stft's.

also id suggest people to open their roms also.. how smooth are the maps? view them in 3d.. is the fuel map staying under 13-14 values on the far right? is the timing map smooth on the far left and in general everywhere?

as far as cars dying with AC.. tune the ISCV to compensate for the additional load the AC puts on the engine & bump up the ac idle tables.

you posted an example of a bad remote tune, i have dozens of examples of dyno tunes as well gone wrong.

its one of those things where it depends on the person doing the work and how they did it that day.. ive seen work from the same tuner where one of his roms would be really bad, then a few months later much better.. like they learned as they went and got better. it happens.. no matter if they are a remote, road, or dyno tuner.

Id also like to add:

Its human to make mistakes, and anyone who claims they don't ever make mistakes will get no where in life.
Someone who is always open to learning something new vs someone who feels they have nothing more to learn,
the person who is open to learning new things has a big advantage over the other person that feels he knows everything.
Of course i am the open to learning person and i know David is also.. Looking at older roms vs newer i see a lot of things
Ive progressed over the years as well.

Basically what im getting at is, good tuners can make mistakes.. as long as they see they made that mistake and dont continue
making that same mistake again.. humans learn from mistakes by nature, so as long as you can learn from it you're still ok in my book.

Last edited by tscompusa; Jun 22, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
oh god.....another one of these threads

seeing these threads and the dumbass answers in it makes me wanna stick my weiner in my meat grinder
some of the responses in here are disturbing, but its mostly coming from people who are new to evo's or do not have much hands on experience with the evoscan and logging stuff.. so its understandable.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Evojoe troll else where please.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

^lol says the guy whos been on this forum for a month
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

a forum is a forum who the hell cares how long I've been on evom.

if it makes your feel better your so cool since you've been a member since 2007 and have 3200 post all HAIL EVOJOE!
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

so heres what you do...
next time you join a forum, use the SEARCH button

this topic has been beaten to death
good day sir
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
so heres what you do...
next time you join a forum, use the SEARCH button

this topic has been beaten to death
good day sir

Cool Story bro

Thanks for the usefull tip almighty one.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

So I changed the plugs back to the Range 7 and did a boost leak test BOV was leaking at the flange made a new gasket and put rtv on it. The car also was leaking on the LICP if I touched the pipe it would instantly leak, Runs good @ 23 psi now
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:49 PM

Good topic question asked, didn't really understand the difference between dyno and emailed ECU
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

hope you read everything
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:15 PM

the dyno tunes dial in the afrs more accurately and let u run more efficient with the fuel provided by adjusting the timing also
Old Sep 1, 2012, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

I have a dyno tune. My brother (speed3) had the email in tune.

Here are some pro's and cons of each.

Dyno Pro: Fast, Easy, Accurate
Dyno Con: Cost, If something isn't right with your car and you end up with a bad tune, there is NO time to fix it. You have to go home, fix it, then bring it back to the tuner and pay again to get it tuned. This leads me to the email tune

Email Pro: TONS of flexibility, if the tuner sees something funky, he instructs you to fix it, and then another pull.

See, with the email tune, you can have alot of time in between pulls to correct/fix anything with your car. (days, weeks sometimes) At a dyno, you are very limited.

Email Con: you could get a ticket when doing your logs, takes longer.

Quick Reply: Dyno tune vs Email order