Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dyno tune vs Email order

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dyno tune vs Email order

How accurate are they vs a dyno tune and is there any benefits vs a dyno tune

Go
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
the only benefit is that you don't have to go to a dyno so if you're in the middle of nowhere it might be nice. you still need a cable and such to upload it to the car

a dyno tune will always be better (assuming it's from a good shop like ER, buschur, etc., etc) because it's personalized to the car
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
the only benefit is that you don't have to go to a dyno so if you're in the middle of nowhere it might be nice. you still need a cable and such to upload it to the car

a dyno tune will always be better (assuming it's from a good shop like ER, buschur, etc., etc) because it's personalized to the car
I disagree with this and here is why.

Compusa goes back and forth with you to get logs and such from your specific car, that is personalized, the process takes longer but the tune none the less is specific and really no different for 'power' than if he was there with you.... the process would be the same. Also, in this method you need to have some know how to give TS what he is looking for with logging etc... so that surely is the downside then dropping your car off... then picking it up when its finished.

Now, I agree if this isn't the mail tune option then my man Demon is correct... generic tunes are not going to yield you best results.

Its hard to debate that there is any better way to tune a car than the real road environment its in, on the real vehicle load that it has.

Last edited by GTijoejoe; Jun 21, 2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

you got a good tuner for email tune ?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Dyno tune has much more potential...since you can see the air/fuel you can run it more on the edge and make more power, but mail order they gotta leave more of a buffer zone before detonation and whatnot since they dont know how it runs with it and with the air density and everything
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Both are just as good assuming you have a good tuner. I prefer to be tuned on the road/track where the car actually gets used.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by badev0
Both are just as good assuming you have a good tuner. I prefer to be tuned on the road/track where the car actually gets used.
Excellent post right here

Never seen a dyno and likely never will
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dyno is superrior to email. Good email tuners are on here, and the tunes are much better than before. Still the ideal way is dyno followed by a few road pulls to clean it up for actual road conditions.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

I think People are confusing can email tunes and a tune like tscomp
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:35 AM
Former Sponsor

some input on this, a dyno tune vs street tune vs email tune, tuning a car is tuning a car. ultimately, the power that can be made doing it any of the 3 methods is going to be about the same assuming your tuner is competent.

HOWEVER, owning a shop and wrenching on cars and tuning them, i can assure you that 90% or more of the cars i see that come in for a tune, need more then just a tune. it almost never happens when i put my equipment on the car, don't need to pop the hood, and can tune a car to its full potential. almost always there are boost leaks, improperly adjust idle screws, misfiring plugs, wastegate actuators arent tight enough, exhaust leaks, rattling downpipes, timing belts not in time, you name it, i have seen it.

what does that mean for the power of the car? it means your not going to make the most power without fixing those issues first. an email tune can catch some of them (i.e. a BAD boost leak obviously will show extremely rich in boost on the logs). but the biggest difference in a tune and the drivability of the tune comes from making sure all those small issues are sorted out before or during the tune. if you arent capable of tuning the car on your own, more then likely you also aren't going to know if you have any of those problems either.

to me, thats where the money is better spent. making sure your tuner can see the car in person, can go over it with a fine tooth comb, and can have his eyes/ears on the car while hes tuning it.

if your no where near a capable tuner, then email is a great solution, just make sure you go over the car as good as you can before you have then tune it.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hachansoo0413
you got a good tuner for email tune ?
http://www.tscomptuned.net/
Tom just finished tuning my car and he did an amazing job.
Link to my car is in my sig
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by badev0
+1 to that! i think they are both great. Normally a internet tune is Cheaper so it saves you $$$.

i personally like internet tunes better bec i feel like they take more time into your car and not just to get you out of the shop to make a quick dollor. Some shops do 3-5 pulls and they are done. with a whole new setup.

and a dyno is like rolling down a hill so driving on the road it will act different. A internet tune is done on the road and that is were you drive it
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

good info keep it coming.

when I said email tune I was refering to the TScomp type of service

I'm close to Ivey tune but I see alot of good numbers coming from TScomp but I wanted to know how accurate they are vs a Mustang dyno or dynamics
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

I could see email tunes being a viable option for mild bolt ons, but as soon as you move to larger injectors, I can't see how having an email tune would be better than a real proper road tune.

Any tuner worth their grain of salt can tune for WOT, but part throttle / daily driving drivability / cold-warm starts also need to be addressed, and that can't really be done through email (or even with a couple hours on the dyno). Even if you use someone else's scaling/latency numbers for the same brand/type of injectors, you don't know if those numbers are right for your particular set of injectors tied to your car.

My tuner spent days with my car getting it just right, burning through a few tanks of gas, but I know my tune is right where I want it to be.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pacent
I could see email tunes being a viable option for mild bolt ons, but as soon as you move to larger injectors, I can't see how having an email tune would be better than a real proper road tune.

Any tuner worth their grain of salt can tune for WOT, but part throttle / daily driving drivability / cold-warm starts also need to be addressed, and that can't really be done through email (or even with a couple hours on the dyno). Even if you use someone else's scaling/latency numbers for the same brand/type of injectors, you don't know if those numbers are right for your particular set of injectors tied to your car.

My tuner spent days with my car getting it just right, burning through a few tanks of gas, but I know my tune is right where I want it to be.
I feel 100% accurate when I say that any email tuner worth anything can address all of what you stated via email tuning.

Quick Reply: Dyno tune vs Email order