Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Nos octane booster

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2012, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nos octane booster

did anyone try this thins does it really give any power?

thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There are three different strengths of NOS octane boosters. There are a couple in red cans called street formula and another called Maximum strength formula. But, neither one of those is worth anything. Worthless!

There is a third type of NOS booster in a smaller black aluminum bottle called "Race Formula". This one is pretty good. This one I have tested myself in my Evo. Surprisingly good knock resistance when mixed with pump gas.

Whereas the red bottle stuff only raises a gasoline's octane by a couple points which are decimals of a full octane number, the race formula raises octane by several full numbers.

The sneaky detail is understanding the difference between the terms octane "number" and octane "points". The two are not equal.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i havent ever used any octane booster that i could feel a difference from o reilleys or advance. the only thing i have used that i could tell is a substance called tolulene i think is how its spelt. it can be found at hardware stores, and paint stores. it is basically a really badass paint thinner that people have used in the old days to raise the octane from what i understood. it is pricey and comes in a container like acetone. i used a whole gallon of it to half a tank of gas with no harmful side effects. i did however have some very pleasing side effects like less knock. very crisp response. i could just really tell a great difference in ow the car drove and felt.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sparky
There are three different strengths of NOS octane boosters. There are a couple in red cans called street formula and another called Maximum strength formula. But, neither one of those is worth anything. Worthless!

There is a third type of NOS booster in a smaller black aluminum bottle called "Race Formula". This one is pretty good. This one I have tested myself in my Evo. Surprisingly good knock resistance when mixed with pump gas.

Whereas the red bottle stuff only raises a gasoline's octane by a couple points which are decimals of a full octane number, the race formula raises octane by several full numbers.

The sneaky detail is understanding the difference between the terms octane "number" and octane "points". The two are not equal.
+1

Many octane booster will state "increase of 10 octane numbers!"... This means you will only see a 1 point increase in octane points. In addition, many of these increased are seen on a small amount of fuel. A full tank will likely not see this amount of an increase...
Old Jul 1, 2012, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by awdordie
i havent ever used any octane booster that i could feel a difference from o reilleys or advance. the only thing i have used that i could tell is a substance called tolulene i think is how its spelt. it can be found at hardware stores, and paint stores. it is basically a really badass paint thinner.....
I agree with the above. If you can obtain either Toluene, or alternately Xylene(Xylol) use a gallon of either, or blend the two 50/50 and add a gallon to each tankful of pumpgas.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 08:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Just use e85 and don't waste your time. That stuffs all crap.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
Amen
Old Jul 1, 2012, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not everyone has E85 available to them, like me for example. Not for 45 miles at least.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 04:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by okevolutionVIII
Not everyone has E85 available to them, like me for example. Not for 45 miles at least.
Ok if that is the case then I suggest learning about meth injection and how it can be used in an evo with pump gas.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that OP will have a hard time time finding E85 in Ukraine. I lived there for eight years, only moved back to the States in June and I never saw E85.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 05:54 PM
EvoM Guru

I thought about that before I posted, but I honestly wasn't sure if they had it or not. If not then definately look into the meth kit.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 07:12 PM

I wish i had e85 out here in hawaii. But a lot of the guys our here run torco accelerator with decent results.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:59 AM

garbage.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
I live in Ukraine and we dont have E85, but we have C16 and Q16 but they cost about 10$ per liter ((((

but I will try 102 octane it costs about 5US per liter

thanks!
Old Jul 6, 2012, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Do what I told you and add one to two gallons of Xylene or Toluene to 10 gallons of pump gasoline. These are commonly available industrial solvents usually sold by the gallon in paint stores or hardware stores. Try it you'll like it.

Toluene and Xylene are the active ingredients used in most all commercially sold octaane boosters. Just be careful and be sure to wear rubber gloves when pouring the stuff and use in a well ventilated area.

Quick Reply: Nos octane booster