Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Keep Blowing This fuse - Car cuts out when it blows

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2012 | 04:26 PM

The car is JDM as im from Aus so there is no rear 02.

Major changes recently would be pulling out the full dash and putting it back in. Im thinking it would either be:

- Injector resistor (Ive got a delete due to high Z injectors)
- Fan relay (Not too sure why this would be the case, but mine is aftermarket (Billion Thermo Fan Controller) and ive heard it starting up when the car was cold after I re-installed the dash. Might unplug this and see if the car changes?
- immobolizer ECU (Doubtful as I run an aftermarket immobolizer

Ignition is not stock but its been in there for 1yr now with no issues....
Old Jul 2, 2012 | 08:03 PM

Try your o2 sensor on the bottom of you car the wires could be exposed and arcing cause it to blow the fuse I had this happen solider the wires and heat shrink and you will be all good!
Old Jul 3, 2012 | 02:43 AM

Fingers crossed the problem is solved! I just took it for the same run as I took it last night and didnt show any signs of popping the fuse!!!! The releif!

The issue was that the aftermarket thermo fan controller harness had a splice in the Accessory wire and was shorting out against something metal under the dash. So happened that it only happened when turning one way agressively which caused the fuse to short.

Thanks for the input guys! The directory of what falls under fuse #8 solved this issue and props to all you guys for the input
Old Sep 8, 2012 | 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Now I am having the same problem with the number 8 fuse. My electrician will take a look on it tomorrow. Will update
Old Sep 8, 2012 | 09:35 PM

I had the same problem. Turned out to be a bad ground on the smaller negative terminal to the battery. It had arc marks on it. I never had it hooked up since I owned the car, but the shop that installed my clutch decided to hook it up. I found a new ground location and the problems fixed.
Old Dec 3, 2012 | 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Bumping an old thread but I'm having the same problem. Will check rear o2 wiring and grounds tomorrow. Started happening after doing tranny swap and fuse keeps popping as soon as key is flipped on.
Old Dec 3, 2012 | 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you've got a wire touching somewhere and shorting out. Look over all the wiring around the transmission area
Old Dec 3, 2012 | 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Checked all the wiring around the tranny and nothing seems to be pinched or cut. Same goes for rear o2 wiring. I followed the power wire for the fuel pump (thick white wire) all the way up to the passenger side kick panel and it seems to be fine as well.
Old Dec 4, 2012 | 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Bypassed all 3 relays and still popping the fuse...
Old Dec 4, 2012 | 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

That fuse blew on me once and the car did shut off.. I found this out after I hit a large pothole and the module for my viper smart start came off the brain to the alarm. I guess that shorted something out. I put the module back safe and secure and replaced fuse its been good since.
Old Dec 4, 2012 | 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr_G
Hey guys,

Just recently, I keep blowing this fuse (Number 8 in the picture) and im not too sure why it keeps blowing?

Cheers
Your rear O2 sensor is shorting out or wires exposes under the car. Fix it and your problem is solved.
Old Dec 4, 2012 | 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Don't have rear o2 wiring
Old Dec 4, 2012 | 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Found the problem with mine. Since I have egr removed, while installing the transfer case back in, the wires for the solenoids managed to pinch themselves between the tcase and the rear motor mount and eventually grounded out. Hope this helps someone with the same problem